Wednesday, January 9, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #274 Tiles

Happy New Year 2019!

We are off to an exciting start this year as we welcome two new tanglers and add the thirty-sixth country to our Tangled Map.  Read on to see which one!


Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Amy L, CZT (Stamford, Connecticut) ~
What a lovely way to start the new year. I always find grid tangles challenging—maybe someday I will learn to draw straight, even grids—but for now I will just embrace the unevenness as character and interest. Centipede was great fun. Happy New Year everyone! May it be happy and healthy and full of tangling!
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful shading along each grid and aura line
*Centipede pushes passed the border


From Simone (Germany) and on Flickr ~
I wish you a happy new Year 2019. Greetings from Germany.
Here is my tile.
It was fun using this string and I like Lex and Centipede. Thank you for beginning the year with such a nice Challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*multiple sizes of both lovely tangles
*border line follows Centipede


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
This TZ (tiny zendala) is hovering of a universe of printemps, ahh and therefore. While on our earth, centipedes are working side-by-side pulling 2019 into place. Wishing all of you the BEST from chilly Arizona!
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading adds depth, especially to those wonderful "working centipedes"
*lovely layering of dark/light/ and tangles


From Allison Armstrong (Rocklin, California) ~
Here is my offering for the new year. I had fun with these two tangles. The whole thing just came to me. I guess I did follow the tangles.
Tangled Tidbits -
*three Centipede variations
*multiple directions and sizes of Lex grids


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I did last week's challenge but before I could send it I had a problem with my iPad. The Apple support line was really helpful but it took a few days to get up and running. Too late for my challenge.
I saw somewhere about doing a pattern over a pattern, so I first filled the background with Lex in brown, and then did the string and centipede on top of it. It didn't end up looking very interesting but it was a peaceful experience, no stress.
Tangled Tidbits -
*great idea and very nice layering
*soft brown shading of Lex


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
My IAST 274, Lex was new to me and I enjoyed doing a grid tangle. Thanks for all the work you put into the challenges, Adele. I used a General’s charcoal, Burnt Carmine, for a bit of color on Centipede. Fun!
Happy 2019 to you!
Tangled Tidbits -
*one adorable centipede
*overlapping tangles (like VenaC referenced!)


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
You started the year with a nice challenge.
I have decided to number my tiles this year. I am very curious where I will end on 31 december
I have bought the " tangle-a-day" calendar this year.
Is is so nice to use this calendar.
I had already started to tangle in it in december. ( could not wait to januari)
Tangled Tidbits -
There may be times that you can combine the challenge with the calendar, have fun with it.
*Lex variation shaded on one side of the grid diagonal
*smaller Lex grid is finished with dots


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
first of all I wish you and your family a happy healthy new year full of joy and creativity.
I enjoyed your first challenge of the year 2019 very much, even though the patterns are not exactly my favorites. I drew two versions. The second one you can see on my blog under the link...
I am looking forward a year of interesting challenges and would like to thank you for your commitment.
Best wishes from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful movement, color, and details for Centipede
*both tangles finished with aura and surrounded by beautiful patterns


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT 28 (Kingston, New York) ~
Happy New Year and Happy New You!
Here's looking forward to another year of great challenges and fun.
Thanks Adele for all you do!
Have a great week all!
Tangled Tidbits -
*tiny dots accent Lex
*double aura for three lines of Centipede


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Happy New Year! Lex made me think of a mediæval window, so I went with that. The tile feels like I’m peering into 2019 and wondering what it has in store for us all!
Tangled Tidbits -
...looks like snow is in the forecast!
*string line visible through a double lined Lex
*pretty border created with Centipede and Lex


From Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Happy New Year Adele!
What a great start to the tangling year. I think it was obvious how these two would be used on the string so that made for an easy, enjoyable tangle-time!
Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous coloring and shading
*Centipede floats over Lex


From Gudrun (Germany) - along with a special greeting - and on Flickr ~
I wish you all a wonderful year with peace, health, happiness and lots of creativity
Best regards from Detuschand
Tangled Tidbits -
*white spaces divide large and smaller versions of Lex
*shading and pops of pretty pink
And Gudrun sent this happy greeting, too ~

Thank you!


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
I'm glad to wish you and all the other tanglers by this mail a good
start of 2019!
Thank you for this first challenge of the new Year.
I made my drawing on a Rennaissance tile and used a black an white pen.
To finish I added some grey, white and orange colours with oridinary
colourpencils.
Let's go for a new year, full of tangle pleasure.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*tangles layered over colorful grid
*happy highlights, shading, and weighted lines 


From Laruel Davis, CZT 28 (New York) ~
Happy New Year! And I’d just like to say that, not only did I enjoy drawing the tangles you chose, but I love the string!

Tangled Tidbits -
*subtle colors, pretty border reflects Lex
*Centipede tapers as it curves


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Happy 2019 everyone!
Tangled Tidbits -
*thick dark aura accents Centipede
*lightly marked cross grids for Lex


From Sue Leslie, CZT (New Mexico) and here on her website ~
Happy New Year on this first Saturday of 2019. 101 orbs in my centipede for the 101 other things I should probably be doing today or do this year! But instead I choose to tangle today and intend to tangle more this year. Plus teach more Zentangle classes to share this wonderful method and passion. And a new adventure this year started with a new blog and web page for all my Crafty Adventures...I have posted a gallery of all my work which includes all the IAST’s I’ve done last year. Have a great 2019 everyone!
Tangled Tidbits -
Congratulations!
*purple Lex and shading, too
*detailed Centipede


From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
Wishing you a prosperous, happy and healthy 2019. Hope you and your family had a wonderful christmas. Thank you for all you do for us in your community. It is very much appreciated.
Tangled Tidbits -
*bold contrasts with a touch of sparkle
*alternating sizes of Centipede orbs make a lovely variation


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
No, you are NOT the only one who has been getting confused about which day is which. Until the Saturday before Christmas I was thinking Christmas was on Wednesday and Christmas Eve on Tuesday, so I had to do a quick last-minute grocery shopping binge when I realized my mixup!
I appreciated being able to see Maria's demo of Centipede. When I played with stacking them, I drew them as complete rows of circles with scalloped borders, so there was a little black scallopy line between the rows of Centipedes, if that makes sense. However, when I drew my tile Centipede had a different plan. Lex, however, cooperated and came out the way(s) I'd envisioned.
Happy tangling in 2019!
Thank you for all you do!
Tangled Tidbits -
*great angles and dimension for both tangles
*3D Lex - brilliant!



From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Here’s my #274. I think I used the wrong Centipede pattern. I didn’t have time to watch the video, so I googled Zentangle Centipede and found this pattern. Since I liked it, I decided to use it.
I hope this finds you and your family well .
Tangled Tidbits -
What a fun way to find another tangle!
*colorful Lex grid covers the entire tile
*multiple details for Hilary's Centipede


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Happy 2019! Love this challenge.-- you can't go wrong with a spiral in my opinion. I did a variation of Lex that reappears as a Rixty variation, ending in Zinger. Centipede crawled up a stick, and I finished the tile with Indy-Rella and Joki in white. Good fun! Thanks, Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
...an adventure in tangling, to be sure! 
*wonderfully woven cross lines of Lex
*spiraled Centipede


From Katarina Sasse (Germany) and here on her blog ~
First I wish You many bessings for this year.
I had lots of fun with Lex and Centipede.

Tangled Tidbits -
*striped sections of a green Centipede and a shiny blue versions crawling underneath :)
*two fabulous versions of Lex

From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Happy New Year one and all!
I have mixed feeling for grids. They certainly offer order and offer contrast. For me, sometimes too many straight lines confuse/distract my eye as I tangle.
In the smaller version of Lex I added the secondary grid in shaded pencil ... in the larger version I just omitted the secondary grid lines completely and Aura’d the primary grid with stitch lines, which reminded me of quilts. Still having order and contrast with calming and warming notes of trust and peace ... which is the definition of the color blue and my wish for the world in the new year.
Cheers to tangles and their tangleations!
Tangled Tidbits -
*warm and cozy Lex variations - love the stitching
*Centipede variation with added curved aura


From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Happy New Year to you and all participants.
Tangled Tidbits -
*large grid backdrop of Lex
*darkened "1" and a light Centipede, both aura-ed and shaded


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Tried a little colour on this one!
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty checkered colors of a larger Lex grid
*blue Centipede pops without aura


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*a tangle for each string section with a single line to join them
*softly shaded tangles


This is my tile ~
My first thought was to tangle Centipede along the string line.  I went with my second thought and used Lex and then trimmed with Centipede.  I left some white space as the aura was taking over too many other sections :)


A very warm welcome to Gill Green our very first contributor from Israel ~
This is the first tile I have ever submitted, anywhere, so hope I am not too late. I have been following all things Zentangle for about 2 years now and am so glad I came across your wonderful site. Wishing all tanglers a very happy 2019

Tangled Tidbits -
*golden Centipede and aura
*colorful and detailed Lex
Welcome to our IAST community, Gill, and welcome to our Tangled Map!  I am so happy that you found us.



A very warm welcome to our second first time contributor, Moblue from Germany ~
I recently discovered ZENTANGLE for me.
It seems to me, that this is just the one thing, I was looking for all my life. And now I have found it, it makes me happy and calm inside.
Today I popped into your page and instantly decided to try the challange. What a wonderful idea.
This is my second try, which I think is the best one. Maybe you will have fun with it, too.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*great variations of Lex and a fanciful border
*straight lined aura for both Centipede and Lex

Welcome to our Tangled Map, Moblue and welcome to our IAST community of tanglers!



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Best wishes to everyone, have a good year with inspiring tangle challenges.
In the attachment my tile # 274 for this week.
It was nice doing this tile and having more time to be really Zen while drawing.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*shadowed shading gives great dimension to Lex 
*bold aura makes Centipede pop


Lastly, a tile from Lynn F (Florida) with an added treat ~
Happy New Year!
I hope I’m not too late with this past week’s challenge.
I really enjoyed doing it.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*golden glow for Lex
*shaded aura for Centipede
From Lynn:
I was late getting this done because I was working on my pumpkin from the Halloween tiny tangled house book. (Link)
I’m so pleased on how it turned out.

Hopefully I’ll get a house done by next Halloween.
Thanks for a great start to the new year.
Thank you for the added treat!

Thank you everyone for the fabulous show of tiles to begin our New Year.  Thank you for the many good wishes and words of encouragement, too. 
I appreciate you!

We thoroughly enjoyed the tangles we used, 
Centipede by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts and
Lex by Angie Gittles, CZT and we thank you for creating them.


This week's challenge was posted earlier, click here to view IAST #275 and send in your tile!

Cheers to a healthy, happy, tangle filled New Year!!






1 comment:

  1. And so we begin another year – familiar names as well as new, and your map gets a little fuller once again. Thank you for bringing us all together once again with your String Thing concept, which feels as fresh today as when I first discovered it. I never tire of seeing how many different ways tanglers interpret the same string and selection of tangles.

    ReplyDelete