Wednesday, August 22, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #255 Tiles

For this challenge we used one curvy, orb filled tangle (Konk) and one square grid, very bold tangle (Flog) on a simple string of three curled lines. 

Even with the simplest components, and true to tangling form, the results are delightfully different and a real treat to view.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Henrike Bratz, CZT (Germany) ~
it’s too hot to go outside. On the other hand it’s not much better inside as we don’t have aircondition over here... so I try not to move to much. Tangling is just the right thing to do.
This week’s challenge was a challenge indeed, the patterns beeing such a contrast. I didn’t see a way to mix them, so I just kept them seperate. An aura would have been nice between the two but I didn’t think of that in time. I’m still quite happy with the result and appreciated the lesson in patience FLOG gave me.
Tangled Tidbit -
*striped and solid sections of Flog and Konk occupies a center square


From Anselm (Berlin, Germany) and here on his blog ~
thank you for this great IAST. What a surprising string and what a beautiful selection of patterns. It was obviously easy to add Konk. But I had to think a little bit about Flog. In the end i decided to put it only into a quarter of the tangle. Then some shading ... and a little Bijou that looks up in an admiring way to the Konks which remind me of a mixture of snail and caterpilar.
Thanks again and best from Berlin, Germany
Tangled Tidbit -
*lovely Konk - friends for Bijou!


From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
Many thanks for the latest challenge. I enjoyed these tangles but found my konk's got lost so I ended up putting a black aura around them, which highlighted them nicely.
 Tangled Tidbit -
*black aura sets Konk apart from the detailed Flog


From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
Can you find the pinwheels among the Flog pattern?
 Tangled Tidbit -
*pinwheels pop in the corners of Flog - how fun!



From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
...both patterns were new to me. Konk is really great, I love the roundness of this pattern. Unfortunately a mishap occured with Flog. As I thought it was easy-peasy I didn't pay much attention and drew the vertical and horizontal lines as well. But I like it the way it is.
ZenHugs
 Tangled Tidbit -
*wonderful Flog variation with added lines and wisps accent Konk


From Marjan Heemkerk (The Netherlands) ~
What a lovely challenge, especially Konk!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*string lined with orbs flow into Konk


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
I think Flog is a very nice pattern.
Konk did not really appear in my tile, but with a little imagination .........
But I enjoyed drawing and I like the end result.
A great week for everyone and greetings...
 Tangled Tidbit -
*Tipple filled spaces compliment Flog


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Here is my Tile #255 for this week.
Have a blessed week you all
 Tangled Tidbit -
*shading and aura give great dimension to Konk


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
This week I got busy right away with my tile. If I let it go too long it often doesn’t get done. I think I went with —at least to me— the most obvious way to use your patterns and string together. But I had to manipulate the string a bit, I can only do Konk in one direction!
Thanks for the update about Felicity. I hope things over there soon improve.
And thanks again for your creative ideas!

Tangled Tidbit -
*fine lined Flog
So interesting to note that one direction works for you when you draw Konk :)


A very warm welcome to Linda Gardner (Leander, Texas) ~
Tangled Tidbit -
*lovely layers of Konk and aura
Welcome to our IAST community, Linda,and welcome to our Tangled Map ~



From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
This has to be one of
the oddest tiles I’ve ever done! LOL! It kind of represents my brain - a hundred things going on at once. I’m sure some of you know that feeling! So, besides konk and flog, you’ll find knightsbrige, leaf curl, fractal curl, and zinger. Oh, and one little perf is stuck in there for good measure.
 Tangled Tidbit -
*beautiful blend of tangles!


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A String Thing # 255’ Challenge.


Tangled Tidbit - 
*large, overlapping orbs, shaded beautifully


From Karin Godyns, CZT20 (Belgium) ~
Please find enclosed my participation for IAST#255.
Thank you for the weekly IAST challenge. It provides so much comfort for weekly tangling.
Tangled Tidbit - 
*aura, shading, layering - awesome Konk 



From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Oh boy, grids and I don't seem to get along well - perhaps an aversion to straight lines? HA! No matter how I try, with patterns such as this, somehow they wind up out of kilter. As they say 'try, try again' - perhaps one day I will surprise myself... Konk looks a bit like a cornucopia to me - love it.
And on a happy note, we received the wonderful news that my brother and family were able to return to their homes this week and all is well. God bless our first responders and the fire-fighters that have flown in from around the globe to assist! Hoping they will get some relief soon. Thanks for the prayers :-)
 Tangled Tidbit -
* bold Flog anchors curvy Konk
Thank you for the good news!


From Lin H, CZT 28 (Florida) ~
Thanks for your challenge, Adele! Love both Konk and Flog tangles, both new for me.

Tangled Tidbit -
*rays of Flog, orbs repeat in both tangles, and sweet Zinger vines


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Greetings Adele! Winter snowsuits and Halloween Creatures are already at my local Costco, where is summer going and why are they trying to rush it out? I didn't think winter would ever let go this year and I'm going to stretch ever day of summer that I can. My Konk kind of started to disappear once I started in with Flog so I went over it in blue and it kinda reminds me of Bluebells :)
 Tangled Tidbit -
*beautiful blue for Konk
Stay warm up there!


From Amy L. (Connecticut) ~
This was so much fun! After learning Konk I checked out some of the other tangles listed on that page and fell in love with Ansu. I’m not a big fan of grid tangles and this felt very organic and oceanic to me, so I added in squid and Printemps. We are just back from a beach vacation. So fun to be back to doing your challenges!

Tangled Tidbit -
*how fun to tie in favorite tangles and happy memories!


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
The right time for shells and waves... greetings from a very warm Germany...!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*gorgeous depth of color and dark lines for the tangles


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~


Tangled Tidbit -
*Beadline springs from  both tangles


From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
My red Flog was inspired by a tile I saw on Mosaic where Knightsbridge was done in red. Unfortunately, I didn’t note the artist’s name. But, I loved the contrast of it with the black!

Tangled Tidbit - 
*wonderful contrast in color and tangles


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Wish I had more time to do another one. I started with Konk which I love. Then I did Flog which looked too heavy. Wish I had made fewer diamonds. So I decided to deviate from the two chosen tangles and do Krokus by Sue Schneider which I also love. Felicity's picture is lovely. Every year in the spring (August September) in the Northwestern Cape in the area called Namaqualand the desert blooms for miles and miles. It is a wonderful sight and a great tourist attraction.

Tangled Tidbit -
*yummy yellow accents, happy mix of tangles
You will have to send a picture some time so we can see!


From Jane (Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
...Our heatwave appears to have come to an end, some much needed rain at last.
Contrasting tangles these two, very interesting!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*a light touch of aura - a beautiful finish

From Pat (Washington State) ~

Tangled Tidbit -
*weighted lines make Konk pop


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
it was very interesting to combine your given string and the two patterns, I never drew before. Again I have two versions, one in black and white, the other on a colored background. I send you the colored one. The other you can find on my blog under the link
Thank you for this wonderful challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbit -
*delightful details for both tangles


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for the week!
Any tips on how to make the Konk stand out better, to give it a raised effect? I enjoyed doing this tile. Thanks for the challenge and have a good week ahead!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*large field of bold Konk
A few tips for Konk:  add aura to separate it from Konk, shade on either side and leave the middle light, weighted lines under the orbs...


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
I loved this string!
I added Shattuck to fill in the background.
Thanks for another great challenge.
 Tangled Tidbit -
*gold aura, too!


From Maria B (Canada) and on Instagram ~
Time to stop fiddling with this and call it done! I had quite a time fitting flog in with konk. The bright green is a little wrong I think, but I was a little over excited to try some new pens. The bronze jellyroll was super fun. Originally I was just going to simply lay flog behind like a tile floor, then I decided to try leaves. I will be very curious to see the other combinations!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*Flog leaves - fabulous idea!


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
I enjoyed last week's tiles and will certainly have a go at those tangles. Two new ones for me this week. Thank you for the challenge.
We are back to normal here in Wales - pouring with rain!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*aura and beautiful shading


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
This is a great combination. When I first looked at it, I couldn’t imagine any harmony between the two. Then, once I started with Konk, the background use of Flog just fell into place.
Thanks for another amazing challenge. For me, this was a no-stress combo!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*Konk leaves a lovely glow
Good to hear that!


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Hot summer days and a cool challenge, Adele! I love Konk! Anything Purk-like is good in my book. Flog was a bit of a mind bender, especially with a wonky grid, but those little hash lines cover a multitude of (not mistakes, but) wayward lines. I added Icantoo and Zinger to round the tangles. Thanks again, Adele!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*lined Flog in alternating colors
Konk is Purk-like, glad you mentioned that.


From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Thank you for another great challenge. I've missed so many I have a lot of catching up to do!
 Tangled Tidbit -
*all three tangles blend elegantly


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Here is my iast 255 tile. Thank you again for stretching my comfort zone each week! I struggle with grid patterns but managed to work in Flog as an embellishment. Konk was a joy to Tangle. The beach/conch shell picture on tanglepatterns made me think of sand so my tile ended up with a golden brown background. Funny how the mind processes input!

Tangled Tidbit -
*Flog fill Konk - wonderful idea!


From Lily (Hungary) ~
...here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Hugs
 Tangled Tidbit -
*colorful, beautifully highlighted tangles



From Gabi (Germany) ~
... I was struggling with organic pattern KONK. It always turned to some kind of ZINGER. Nonetheless a nice challenge again to combine grid pattern with rounded lines.
Sunny greetings from southern Germany

Tangled Tidbit -
...and that is a good thing!
*Flog explodes outward



From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Once again thank you and all the zentangle participants for keeping the drought devastated parts of South Africa in their thoughts and prayers over the last months. At present things are looking better for our area, but the eastern parts of the country and large parts of the Karoo are still struggling and water is very limited.
Anyway, thank you for this week’s challenge. Loved Konk and Flog, both new, I think, to many of us. I enjoyed getting to grips with Konk. More practise will improve my take on it in the futute. Also, on my blog
Hope you all have a special week this week.
 Tangled Tidbit -
*wonderfully curvy, multiplying Konk
Thank you for keeping us updated.


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Just found your blog and have subscribed!! ...I enjoyed Konk, which was new for me.
Tangled Tidbit - 
*Flog filled Konk centers

So happy that you found my blog!  Welcome to our IAST community, you are now on the Tangled Map ~



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Serendipity times two ... two tangles published back to back ... by two tanglers, both Maryland. And the tangles play so well together!
Cheers to all the unexpected coincidences in life (and tangling)!
 Tangled Tidbit -
...and happy ones, at that!
*aura and shading lift Konk


Thank you one and all for sharing your brilliant tiles.  I appreciate your patience while waiting to see them all posted.

Special thanks to the creators of the lovely tangles Konk (Lori Monoogian, CZT) and Flog  (Angie Gittles, CZT). 

Check back tomorrow for the results of IAST #256!

1 comment: