Thursday, August 2, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #253 Tiles

Our grandchildren's visit was heavenly from start to finish.  We set out to treat them in every way but I would argue that they spoiled us.  Time with them is a precious treat. 
  
Thank you for you waiting to view the results of IAST #253.
We tangled a moon themed challenge in celebration of the lunar eclipse.  The tiles are simply spectacular, and the notes are as warm as ever.

Let's take a look ~


The first tile arrived from Dani (Indonesia) and here on her blog ~
The last challenge I followed was IAST #232. Oh my God, 21 challenges were missed. Looks like I was really busy at the time.
Have a good day.


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Again, a wonderful challenge, Adele, Thank You! I love all these patterns but haven’t used Nipa for a long time. We have a very dry and hot spell in Switzerland. They say that it hasn’t been so dry in the last 93 years… Therefore I gave all my attention to the dewdrops, hoping the weather god may hear my prayer.
Sunny and hot greeting



From Jodi Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Even if we were to be in range of the eclipse we would have cloud cover. :o) My poor husband waits for a particular meteor shower every August and without fail the skies are clear up until that event. It’s become a running joke with anything cool to see in the night sky.
This was fun, and I think a new record for me on completing a tile


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Thanks, Adele, for these great Tangles to Celebrate The longest Luna Eclipse of the Century.
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A String Thing #253’ challenge.


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
The M of Moon has become a W of crescent moon (in Dutch: Wassende maan)



From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) ~
It`s been a long time that I have participated in IAST. Every week I`ve been following you on your blog and was looking at the tiles that the other participants had created.
This week you choose this simple string and three basic tangles that I really love. So I had no choice than taking a tile and doing it. I drew two tiles. One on a Renaissance tile. It was a try but the result is not so good as I had hoped. So I drew the second one on a basic white tile with basic black micron and I felt better with it.
Greetings from Germany




From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
I hope you have a wonderful time with your grandchildren! Thank you for continuing to post the challenge each week.



From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
I really enjoyed this challenge. I added a spot of color with my prismacolor pencils.



From Lily (Hungary) and on Instagram ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Zenhug



From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
When I think of the moon I also think of Noom Repus. So I used it as a string. I loved this challenge to the moon and back :)




From Donna Matoi (Long Beach, California) ~
This was a fun and relaxing string to work on! I added Footlites to shine on!
Hope you are having fun being “Gramma”!
Thank you for another great week of tangling! Looking forward to seeing the tiles for this week!


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Thank you for another lovely challenge; an uncomplicated string and beautiful original tangles, that was fun!
I wish you a wonderfull time with your grandchildren.
In Belgium, but also in many other countries of Europe, we have the hottest summer ever.
After weeks of dryness, finally we will got some rain this weekend.


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Funny thing happened on this challenge, suddenly my Trio became a Duotangle? The bottom left hand corner was supposed to be Nipa but Printemps just wouldn't let go! :)


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
I moved to The Villages (FL) in 2016 and found out about Zentangle from my massage therapist who is a CZT.
I’ve never been artistic but I do have an aptitude for spacial relationships so Zentangle spoke to me.
I took a Beginner class in May of 2017 and my CZT told me about your website.

I’ve been an admirer of the wonderful artwork your IAST community has created for over a year.
This week I decided to “shoot for the moon” and complete the challenge.
I added Ahh. It looks like a solar system to me.
The Crescent Moon in the upper right-hand corner now looks like a chocolate-chip cookie so I think I’ll reward myself and go grab one that I baked recently out of the freezer!
Thanks for taking the time to inspire so many people around the world.

Welcome to our IAST community, Lynn, you are now on our Tangled Map ~


From Nord'zin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Here is my contribution for challenge #253.
I will not be able to join in with next week's challenge as I will be on retreat, but I will check out everyone else's when I get back.
Thank you, as always.


From Pricilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
Hi All,
I loved the simplicity of the string and tangles used this week.It was a great challenge.
Take care and look forward to the next challenge!


From Jutta Gladnigg (Germany) ~
Greetings from our vacation on an island in the North Sea. What was meant to be the ideal position to watch the Eclipse of the Moon turned into an overcast sky... revealing the red moon only very late and still clouded. Nevertheless it was a grand event...



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for this interesting challenge.
Again I drew two versions. The black and white one you can find on my blog under the link
Best wishes from Germany


From Gudrun S. (Germany BW) and on flickr ~
It was a wonderful summer night to enjoy this magnificent natural spectacle!


From LynnG (Florida) ~
Thank you Adele



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Photos of the lunar eclipse were spectacular ... looking forward to the 1-21-19 lunar eclipse in the northern hemisphere.
Earlier this week I read about the tectonic plates that border earthquake zones ... then Nipa came to mind.
Nipa is deceptive ... it looks pretty, it looks easy, but it defied my heart and hand. So, I decided to try to overcome that sense of foreboding ... I practiced Nipa for 3 nights before I attempted a tile. (I took frequent breaks to draw a few Mooka to calm me so I could keep going.) I came up with my approach: with a micron 03 draw wavy lines with space between (they don’t necessarily run parallel to the previous line), change to micron 01 to add various orbs and aura lines, shade near the bolder lines, add weight to bold lines and orbs, shade a little more.
Giving Nipa columns allowed me to focus on one section at a time rather than seeing a broader and overwhelming space. The result gives a dimension to Nipa that make me think of those fearsome and always shifting tectonic plates.
Imagine, reading about earthquakes calmed my tangling tremors!
Cheers to all the beauty forces of nature offer ... and cheers to throwing shade to those self-imposed fears!



From VenaC (Whitby, Onatrio, Canada) ~
I used Molly's variation of crescent moon using triangles instead of ladybugs in one section. After doing Nippa, I was left with quite a large space for printemp which I can never get to look how I would like it to. So, I put in Noom which was named for the super moon and which is one of my favourite patterns. I was then left with a smaller space for printemp where I used Maria's variation. Thanks for this interesting challenge.


From Karin (Germany) ~
at the moment here in Germany it is too hot to be outside... so there is more time for tangling
Those patterns were some of the first I learned... really refreshing to put them together again!
Greetings from Germany



From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Lunar-Eclipse! I love that theme in this challenge! Thank´s Adele for such a fun challenge. Here are my story from doing this in my blog:
With warm greetings...


From Pat (Washington State) ~
Enjoyed this one! 


From Sue Leslie (New Mexico) ~
What fun with some favorite tangles. Hope you are still enjoying those grandkids! Have an awesome week everyone.


 From Hilary (Chicago) ~
The best part of this week's challenge was that there was one of your Tips for Tangling for each pattern! You have the best explanations and variations.
Thanks for all your hard work. The Tickled to Tangle emails are just about the highlight of my week!



 From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri ) ~




From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Here is my lunar eclipse. Unfortunately we could not see the real thing as after six weeks of unbroken sunshine and heatwave conditions, last night it was cloudy and rainy. I look forward to seeing everyone’s tiles instead!



From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) and on Instagram ~
Well, it's been quite a while, but happily, I've got something to send to you this week!
I've been busy with lots of projects...I finished a large mosaic memorial bench commission in the early summer...then I had to recover from major work-induced carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists!...I had installed my mosaic on the concrete bench and it took almost 40 hours to install and grout, and that was just too, too much--:) My hands were simultaneously numb and painfully on fire. I wore braces 24/7 and rested for a week or two...couldn't even hold my phone, a fork or my toothbrush, and luckily they calmed down...I was beginning to see surgery in my future...
Then I had another large public painting commission on a traffic box in Thornton, Colorado...not Zentangle inspired this time, but large colorful spirals...so fun...Everything's on my instagram @plainjanemosaics ...feel free to check it out--:)

So, although I wasn't able to keep up with your challenges, when I could hold a pen again, I have been back to doing a touch of tangling, here and there, mostly in my calendar/journal, and on coasters I like to make and leave for my servers at my favorite microbrewery in town. In fact, I finished the IAST challenge early in the week, and I used the same tangles for my latest coaster...here's pix of both! Took a pretty straightforward approach to the challenge...started with the Crescent Moon, added the Nipa variations and lastly ended with the Printemps...on the coaster, didn't really use a string, just plopped them in--:)

Have fun with the grandkids!!
Thanks for all you do for us in the Zentangle world!



From Jane Goddard (United Kingdom) ~
I had something totally different in mind when I started but funny how things turn out! Thanks for a great selection of original tangles too.


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
What a trip down Memory Lane — reminded me so much of my very first Zentangle! We used a Z shape rather than an M (which mine turns out to be a W anyway), but the very first tangle we learned was Crescent Moon! I was surprised that Nipa reminds you of outer space — I have always thought of a sandy rippled lake bottom. So I used Margaret Bremner's Cockles 'n Mussels ('n Clams) instead of orbs. After I'd drawn everything it seemed like a preponderance of lines about the same width apart, so I tried your suggestion of darkening the downstrokes of Printemps, which helped (as did the pencil shading).
I'm also getting used to a new glasses prescription, so blame any imperfections on that!
Lots of fun! (I'm sure not as much fun as you're having with your grandkids, though!)
Thanks!



From Cat T. (Winston, Oregon) ~
253 times you have been here for us, bringing us these challenges and giving us an opportunity to focus on our creative side. Thank you. Such a great way to put stress aside for a bit.


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
For this challenge I used the technique shown on Zentangle's Project Pack 2 - Day 9. I took a white tile and a black tile, and cut the string out of both, leaving one tile with a black "M" and a white background and one vice versa. One tile is shown below. In addition to the suggested tangles, I added Arukas and Msst. Lots of fun on a 100+ degree day.



From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Hello from Oklahoma Adele! I hope you are soaking up the grandparent love! What a gift from God to have those sweet faces look at you and know you are so loved! Enjoy!
This week's challenge was awesome! I love the chance to find a new take on Crescent Moon! This time I tried merging it with Nipa and the results reminded me of long flowing wigs! what fun!


From Sra (India) ~
Here's the tile for IAST 253! I did at least two tiles and much practice before this to arrive at this.
Have a nice week.



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my tile # 253 for this week. With lots of love and have a blessed week



From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~

How blessed we are with our amazing grandchildren. Hope you are having or had amazing time with your Sweeties.
Well the Eclipse has come and gone. Strangely after the excitement, one nostalgically misses all the excitement of this amazing natural phenomenon. We sadly started off with a cloudy West Coast.
I decided to watch a movie and around 22:00 my daughter startled me with a message that the skies over Cape Town were clear. I rushed out and voila! The West Coast skies were starry, cloudless and it was all happening up in the heavens, with the planet Mars in magnificent attendance. Needless, I only came in out of the cold at approximately 12;30. Me and my three cats shivering from the winter night. All worth it. Magnificent, spiritual and inexplicably mysterious. My daughter, Nadine set a message saying: ”Mom, isn’t mind blowing? We are all represented in that shadow made by the earth on the Moon.”
 
Please forgive my multi-media effort that is not absolutely, scientifically correct, but the Sun is in the left lower corner and the Blue Planet, Earth in the right-hand top corner. Crescent Moon has fun in both, and on Earth, Printemps appears. I imagine I’m the one in the top point of the corner. Then Nipa-like examples of the progress of the eclipse through the night sky of the 27 July 2018. Nipa continues to sparkle in the night sky and I couldn’t resist adding Footlites, as the Sun’s rays. Thank you and Rick Roberts, Maria Thomas and Carole Ohl for your versatile zentangle patterns and your string. I used Micro pens, black, sepia, red and yellow, as well as watercolour pencils and coloured jelly pens. Also, on my blog

Have a great week all.



From Cathy ~
It has been a while since I have participated but I am ready to get back into the challenges.



From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her Purple Butterfly ~
Here's my tile for IAST #253. Sorry it's late, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work till now.
Couldn't quite decide which direction looked best; so this is the one I'm using. At least, this is the one my husband liked; and I decided to go with it:



From Gabi (Germany) ~
Late again - spent some watching the spectacular lunar eclipse and a spectacular read moon.So here is my zentangle version of nightly sky.
Have a nice week
 


Thank you all!  It was a treat to hear and see first hand accounts of the eclipse and I am in awe of the collective talent on display here.

Many thanks to Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts for Nipa, Printemps, and Crescent Moon.

Click here for the details for this week's IAST #254 and join in the fun.  

Tomorrow my "Where I Tangle" continues - come get inspired!

2 comments: