Tuesday, June 11, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #293 Tiles

While we were tangling sweet treats in honor of National Donut Day,  a sweet little baby was welcomed into the world.  Our daughter Catherine and her husband Oswald were blessed with a healthy, happy, and oh so handsome son. 

As any proud Gramma would, I text my friends and family and included a picture of me holding little Ollie.  In return, along with very loving notes, came this surprise from my friend Joanne (zenspirations.com) ~

Greeting from Joanne Fink to celebrate the arrival of my new grandson.

How incredible it is when joys are shared - especially with loving and madly talented friends!
Thank you, Joanne.

Back to our very own sweet treats...
This week's tiles that featured a string resembling donuts and three delicious tangles a la Margaret Bremner, CZT. 

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Karen Aicken (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Interesting challenge this week - thank you. Two more new-to-me tangles and it’s been ages since I’ve played with Pixioze. I used Croon in my ‘Donut Holes’ and went from there.
The tile, which was traced into my sketchbook - was posted on my blog this evening...
Thanks again for all you do.



From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
I love donuts so much that I took a bite out of one!


From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) ~
It's been a long time that I have participated in IAST.
But this donut theme today was a real pleasure for me to tangle.
Greetings from Germany



From Ginger (California) ~
I didn't realize we had two weeks for the last one, so figured I missed the deadline.
In time for National Donut Day, here is my platter. Marsu as a cinnamon roll, Pepper as a cruller, and sprinkles from Partae! All balance on the drying screen. So many less calories this way!


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Once I decided to put Pixioze in all the donuts and croon in the holes in the middle it went very quickly. You can't really see that one donut is done in black ink, one in brown and one in grey. We didn't have donuts as children. The first I had was when I came to Canada as an adult. I haven't really developed a taste for them. Those I have tasted seemed too sweet or too greasy. 


From Robin (Ohio) ~
This was fun, 3 tangle that I have never used. I did the shading with my copic C3 cool grey. Thanks again for this challenge, it makes me get out of my comfort zone.


From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
I haven't been able to finish a challenge on time for quite a while so I'm thrilled to be finally able to send you something!
I loved the shapes and patterns of this challenge. They work so well together and do look like donuts!
Have a fabulous weekend.



From T. ~
I’m also an admirer of Margaret Bremner’s creations so it was nice to get some inspiration from her work and to use her patterns in this week’s challenges.
Pixioze is a pattern that I use often. It’s one of the go-to patterns I use to fill spaces on a page or tile when I don’t want to leave too much white space.
I’ve seen Croon on Margaret’s site before but for whatever reason never used it. Now that I’ve used it, I can see it becoming part of my regular rotation of patterns.
Partay was new to me, which probably means I haven’t explored Margaret’s site deeply enough.
I was a bit uncertain about where to begin with this week’s string. I started drawing Croon first and once I got going things flowed.
As always, thanks for a fun challenge.


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
There is nothing abstract about this tile which is watercolor, collage and a bit of Zentangle. I had too many realistic images in my head that I couldn't get rid of! I used #Croon for doughnut holes as a nod to a local doughnut shop, La Cave, which stopped putting holes in their doughnuts years ago to make theirs different from all the other doughnut shops in Tucson. However, for National Doughnut Month they decided to put the holes back in. The pink one is for my youngest grandchild who turned 6 today and the maple for my mom who loved those. I could eat half a dozen of plain cake (or raised with chocolate frosting) all by myself, so I work hard to ignore them. But perhaps one later this month


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Autralia) ~
I’m sending a box of Donuts for your National Donut Day.
And this week’s ‘It’s A String Thing # 293’ Challenge.


From Cheryl (Missouri) ~
For the love of donuts! Upon looking at this creation, my husband found a man in a sombrero drawn in the hole of the Pizioze donut. I couldn't find him, but when I did, I dropped my sketch book! It's a bit creepy and totally unplanned!! Thank you, Adele, for keeping us inspired and all tangled up.


From Moblue (Bremen, Germany) ~
Here we are with my doughnut party.
I had a very exhausting week at work and just thought there won’t be enough time for Zentangle. But in the end I finished two tiles.
The first was all dark with bold heavy lines. I drew it Wednesday in the night when I was busy installing a new server in our office since the old one has died suddenly on Tuesday. At that point I really was in a bad mood. But now things have turned out better and I drew a new tile much lighter and more airy. The crisis is not yet over, but there is a light in the dark. If this won't be reason enough for a party, what else will be?
Happy tangling from
Moblue, Bremen, Germany 



From Laurel Davis, CZT #28 (New York) ~
I’ve always been a big fan of Margaret Bremner and donuts!


From Kathy Millard (Prince George, British Columbia, Canada) ~
Finally able to get myself out of the garden long enough to finish a string. I enjoyed these simple happy little tangles.


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Here is my contribution for this special challenge.
We also like donuts but we don't have a national donut day as you have
in your country. It is a nice tradition to remember.
This week, your president visited Great Britain and there were several
ceremonies on different places in Europe to honour the veterans of the war.
I enjoyed this drawing and used ordinary white paper and black pen. To
finish I used very light tints of yellow and pink on the donuts and I
used blue colour and a blue pen for Croon.
Thank you Adele for this pleasant challenge and send you warm regards
from Belgium


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
the lasts weeks patterns are not exactly my favorites. I would never have chosen this combination myself. Nevertheless, I think my result looks quite interesting on the watercolor background. You will find it on my blog under the link
Thank you for this interesting experience.
I wish you and your family a nice Pentecost weekend.
Warm greetings from Germany.


From Sra (India) and here on her blog ~
Here are my doughnuts for you.
I know you're going to burst out laughing. They're as flat as the assembly-line doughnuts I've condemned in my blog post. But I'm adamantly proud of the Partay and the Pixioze.
Hope you had your fill of doughnuts this week!
Cheers!



A very warm welcome to Sharlie (New Jersey) and on this link ~
Thanks for the challenge. I now have three new patterns in my collection. However, it appears my donuts may have turned into flowers, but they are still round with a hole in the middle

Welcome to our IAST community, Sharlie, and welcome to our Tangled Map ~


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Happy Doughnut Day (also Fish and Chips Day in the UK!). I put a Croon shape in the centre of one of the circles and then later realised that it had become a ring doughnut.


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Happy National Donut Day!
my donut memories ... waking up early on a Saturday morning to the nutmeg aroma of mom cooking donuts. She cooked the “bellybuttons” (the balls cut from the center) and saved them for our brown bag lunch treats during the week. The recipe was handed down from my grandmother, along with all the stories that bring families together.
Cheers to nutmeg donuts and to Margaret Bremner’s tangles and amazing creativity.


From Lynn F. (Florida) ~
I love National Donut Day but I don’t eat donuts anymore!
It was always a fun day at work where we would gather around the boxes and figure out which donuts were calorie worthy.
I had fun with these three new-to-me tangles and I made one donut with sprinkles. I wonder if our friends around the world also have sprinkles on their pastries.
Here’s my tile.


From Sue Leslie, CZT (New Mexico) ~
Donuts for my 68th Birthday!! What fun! And a milestone too as this was the last page in my IAST moleskin Journal from #250-293. A full turn around the sun as started this last June. Did some and missed some but always fun. Thanks for the challenges and always the fun Adele. On to another year of adventures for me and of course more IAST fun.


From Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Loved everything about this one! I used a grey tile, white charcoal and 6B graphite pencil. Great fun! Thanks as always.


From Gabi (Germany) ~
Thanks for this lovely idea!
Pixioze and croon really were fun to do and such a yummy string...


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Thanks for this lovely idea!
Pixioze and croon really were fun to do and such a yummy string...


From Judy Wanner, CZT (Pennsylvania) ~
Hi sweet Adele! Finally finished one, have so many starts. Late yes and absolutely no need to include. It was a fun one. Gotta love those Pixioze....very addicting. Anything from Margaret is golden. I want to be like her also when I grow up...
PS: I was thinking I should have skipped the bottom donut and told you I ate it ;)


Thank you all for the most delicious display of tangled treats - and for making me very hungry!

Many thanks and kudos to Margaret Bremner, CZT for her fabulous tangles ~
Partay
Pixioze  and
Croon

Please check back later today for IAST #294. 

I am off to rock a sweet baby boy💙.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations with the newborn grandson.
    A beautiful card with a wonderful granma and a lovely baby.
    Greetings from Belgium to the whole family.
    and thank you for the pleasant and interesting weekly challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adele,
    Congratulations to you & your family!

    My family is also waiting for the arrival of a new addition any day now.
    I can't wait to meet my nephew :)

    Enjoy rocking your new grandson :)
    T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so happy for you - there is nothing like a newborn babe.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your newest grandchild and best wishes to him and all of you! Thank you for the round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful shop-full of doughnuts (or donuts)! And to use Partay as sprinkles... just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete