Monday, June 3, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #292 Tiles

Welcome back and welcome to the month of June!

For the past two weeks, as Memorial Day was observed, we had the opportunity to tangle and remember the heroic service men and women who gave their lives in defense of our precious freedoms.

Let's take a look at the tiles ~

The first arrived from Lisette, CZT 32 (Switzerland) ~
Herewith my attempt to bring these three tangles together. I found it quite difficult. But I had a lot of playing with Fife. I drew Fife often when I started tangling.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful shading and shine of Fife
*multiple variations of Fünf and lightly penciled Furr Balls


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Adele, I'm continually amazed at how often coincidences and connections occur! They happen so often enough that I'm not surprised but fascinated at how different each one is. I saw this challenge yesterday morning and soon left to teach a Zentangle class at a support group for adults with brain injuries. My first tile included Crescent Moon, Hollibaugh and Printemps. One group member arrived just as I was teaching Hollibaugh. When I was going around to give help and encouragement, I could see he wasn't drawing and was watching me. When I got to him he said, "I can see and understand what you are drawing, but I can't. (His tile had 3 helter-skelter lines on it.) I was an electrical engineer for NASA am an a perfectionist." I told him whatever he did was fine with me. When I got to teaching Printemps I mentioned it was a designed not only seen in petroglyphs around the world but is also a shape that many young children draw. Immediately this man added, "And we see it in the sky. They are galaxies."

So how many times have I taught Printemps? No one has ever mentioned galaxies. I agreed since I knew I had seen photographs of spirals in the universe and when I got home I looked them up. Yes, Edwin Hubble originally described "spiral galaxies" in 1936 and THANKFULLY I was reminded of them yesterday. So my tile represents Memorial Days celebrated around a #Fife world adorned with flowers. #Funf is on the points of the string and my golden #Furr-Balls (which are the basis of Printemps) represent the "spiral galaxies" in honor of the frustrated and charming man I met yesterday. He stayed for the whole class and personally thanked me for coming to teach and giving all of them the "Ten to Zen" poem Molly posted last year on the Zentangle.com website.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for that 'heavenly' story, Gale, and sharing your continued good work.  I love the connection to galaxies and Printemps.
*blooming Fife
*Fünf tipped string lines


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attacked is my tile for ‘ It’s A String, Thing #292’ Challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*long, curvy, overlapping Furr Ball lines
*Fünf in Fünf - that's fun!


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Here I am with my entry for your challenge number 292.
After a long time, I decided to use one of my watercoloured tiles and
started with the given string. I didn't make in the middle but on the
left side beneath to form a big Fünf. Two smaller ones followed. Than I
filled the space inside the frame with Fife and finished with one
little Furball and some Tipples, just outside the frame.
I enjoyed this challenge very much, you start to draw but you will never
know where it takes you and almost I forgot Furballs...so thank you for
giving us pleasant moments while drawing!
Have a wonderful weekend and send you warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Fünf rises over a lovely field of Fife
*rounded Fife and Fünf corners


From Lynn G. (Florida) ~
With thoughts of those who protect and protected us.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*red tipped Fife and white on blue
*arrow tipped Furr Balls - all beautifully framed by the flag



From Lin H. (Florida) ~
Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend, Adele. Thanks for your challenge. Fife is one of my favorite tangles and Funf and Furrballs were fun, too.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded Fife creates a frame of Fünf and Furr Balls
*pretty patriotic colors


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my tile for the week.
I enjoyed doing Fife and even though the Funf and Furr Balls didn't look so great initially, they grew on me after I worked on them some more and changed the view. I forgot to sign it, though!
Thanks for hosting!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*detailed Tipple filled Fife
*lighter Furr Balls and dark aura-ed Fünf


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
In my cobwebbed mind ... Decoration/Memorial Day = visits to cemeteries with fresh picked lilacs in mason jars. The scent filled the old blue VW bus. We’d visit with relatives who had passed on while Mom told us stories so we would know the person, not just their headstone engravings. Mom’s memories are now mine. Crazy how that happens.
Giving thanks for lilac memories and for those who are and have served. 

Tangled Tidbits - 
Beautifully expressed, thank you, Sharyn.
*Fife fit to the string spaces radiates from the star
*weighted Printemps, highlights shine



From Margarete (Germany) and here on her blog ~
my contribution to your challenge looks a bit wild this time, because the background is a bit restless. Nevertheless, I find the result quite interesting. One can find it on my blog under the link
Thank you for this interesting challenge.
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful Fife variations
*countless curves spin around Furr Balls


From Sue Leslie (New Mexico) ~
Happy Memorial Day to all the US tanglers. Take a moment on Monday to remember all who served and died for the precious freedoms we all have today. These were all new tangles to me this time. And a challenge with the string as well. Took a bit of playing before I managed to get it to come together for me. And as usual, was fun. Thanks Adele for your hard work keeping us all on our toes.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Furr Balls and Fünf peek through Fife
*enthatched centers for Fife


From Karen Aicken (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
I hope enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend. Thank you for the challenge - all three are new-to-me tangles!
Here is my entry for the challenge. I traced a Zentangle tile into my sketchbook.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*angled Fife with soft shading and rounded center corners
*Furr Balls and Fünf share curls


From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
Many thanks for a great challenge. My stars are more like flowers but I enjoyed doing them.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Fife in bold contrast
*elongated Furr Balls lines - how fun!


From Antony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
Here's my tile in honor of those who have sacrificed themselves in the name of truth, freedom and justice.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful details for Fünf complete with a flower like center
*bold contrasts of light and dark, line and curve


From Laurel Davis, CZT #28 (New York) ~
I’ve always loved Fife, but Funf and Furr Balls we’re new to me. Such fun tangles to work with this week. Thanks, Adele!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful tangles pop against the bold black background
*shading and lighter tangles add depth



From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
After our Memorial day we celebrate Liberation day ( may 4 and 5). For both days we have a symbol, a torch with a flame/bird. Both days are very impressive. Remembering and celebrating. It is wonderful and important that this happens all over the world.
 Tangled Tidbits -
It truly is.
*beautiful center symbol
*delightful aura, dots, shading, touches of color


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Here is my tile for IAST 292. It kind of looks like a party!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a happy party of color and tangles
*string lines covered with Fife shapes and tangles spin outward


From Rebecca (Stamford, Connecticut) ~
Happy Summer! Well not officially I guess, but Memorial weekend always feels like the start of summer to me. Wish I could have captured the sparkle of my stars but sadly my phone camera just doesnt do it justice. Thanks for another fun challenge!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkly stars and colorful Furr Balls abound
*highlights adorn Fife


From Allison (California) ~
Here is my offering for this week’s challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*each string section filled to the brim with tangles
*Fife shines with various sized grids


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Loved Furr Balls. I found it very satisfying to draw. I also like a grid so enjoyed revisiting Fife”.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...and a dot grid is especially nice, isn't it?
*pretty blue background for Fife
*Furr Balls spring from each other


From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
Another Memorial Day has come and gone. I hope everyone took at least a few minutes to remember the heroes being honored. It’s not my favorite holiday, but it is what it is. Sigh. Anyway, enjoy this subtly colored tile filled with fife, funf, furr balls, rain, deeboops, and sand swirl.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a beautiful mix of tangles
*Rain covered string lines and a new tangle for each string space



A very warm welcome to Annette Bode (Germany) ~
Attached is my first IAST-tile :-)
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Furr Balls spirals with dots and dashes
*multiple sizes and variations of Fife

Welcome to our IAST community and welcome to our Tangled Map, Annette!  So very happy that you joined in...



From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Here’s my tile for your latest challenge.
Thank you and best wishes
 Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines and aura
*background of large grid of Fife with detail lines and highlights



From T. ~
I hope you enjoyed the short break offered by the extra day in the long weekend.
I finished my tile early, but held on to it because I wasn’t certain I liked it as it was. However, the longer I looked at it the more it grew on me, so here it is.
For this challenge, I enjoyed working with Fife in both forms, although, I may have a slight bias toward the ‘flower of life’ version.
Fünf and Furr Balls were both new-to-me but fun to work with nonetheless.
I also continue to use the colour palette I put together a few challenges ago.
As usual, thanks for another fun challenge
 Tangled Tidbits -
...such is the beauty of tangling - time and distance add to the appreciation of your finished work...
*large and smaller Fife accented with the use of color
*aura-ed and singular Fünf


From Amy L., CZT (Connecticut) ~
I have missed the last couple of challenges—I’ve been busy, and also have started actually teaching so my tangle time has been spent prepping for classes! But I wanted to get back on track, so here is my tile. I actually did it last week and was thinking about going another one, but didn’t get to it, so here is my original one. I tried a version of fife that was different than I had done before. I didn’t love funf, but I had a lot of fun with furr balls, and then decided it looked like fireworks so added ahh. As always it was challenging and interesting. I am in awe of your creativity!
 Tangled Tidbits -
So glad you are back - it is difficult at times to make the time, but practice is imperative.
*great combination of Ahh, Furr Balls and Funf
*alternating dark and light filled Funf


From VenaC. (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Another fun challenge. I like fife a lot. My funf is not exactly perfect but OK. I did remember to breathe and didn't feel as if I had to rush to finish. Thanks for these challenges.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Good for you!
*double lined Fife border complete with alternating light and dark background
*blue field features stars


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Here is my tile for IAST292 (can you believe we are almost to 300!).
Have a lovely weekend.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...I was hesitant to point that out - thank you for doing that, Mariam!
*patriotic colors accent Fife rows, Furr Balls and Fünf field of blue



From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Participating in Tickled to Tangle sometimes has unexpected benefits! So many people who sent in tiles knew of Tomàs Padrós and mentioned Instagram, so I looked him up and quickly followed him. He has an architectural, three-dimensional style (and is also easy on the eyes).
I really really tried to use your string with five compartments, but in the end I couldn’t help myself and gave in to my need for symmetry. Fife is one of those tangles I used to do all the time and for some reason forgot about. So I looked back in old sketchbooks, and I found I sometimes drew it with circles where the “rice shapes” come together. Maybe that’s a different tangle entirely … but anyway I like it. So I did that version, plus the offset version that looks more like flowers. When I was playing with Fünf and Furr Balls I ended up morphing them into little whirling stars.
Hope you had a good holiday!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Don't you love an old familiar tangle?
*two lovely Fife variations
*curled ends for Fife in multiple variations



From Cheryl (Missouri) ~
Looking at my entry, one must remember that there are no mistakes in the beautiful art of Zentangle!
Pro: Loved the challenge and results
Con: Should have practiced with new Tombows
 Tangled Tidbits -
...so very true - no mistakes!
*one large glowing Fife along the string lines
*multiple fields of Fife and Furr Balls


From Moblue (Bremen, Germany) ~
So sorry for being late. I didn’t read the timeline right and finished my tile today only. Nevertheless I send it, as it was so much fun to draw.
Even if it won’t be in this round, I hardly can wait to see all the others on Monday.
Happy tangeling from
Moblue, Bremen, Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
You were right on time!
*aura-ed Fünf, shaded and sparkled
*detailed Fife, beautifully shaded


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
Sorry this is late!
I had it finished earlier this week but completely forgot to send it in. I think the hot weather has fried my brain.
I enjoyed the three new tangle patterns and added Lex and Msst to the party.
Thanks for all you do.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...you are just in time!
*lovely finishes for Fife
*each string sections finished with its own wonderful tangle



This is my tile ~
I began with Funf on the string line, followed by Fife.  I thought that I would add Fife to alternating string sections, but found it such a wonderful tangle to get lost in that it just kept growing and I had to stop myself before I filled in the entire tile with it.  A bit of patriotic red, white, and blue, and a smattering smaller tangles finished it off.



And lastly, from Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Spent a week up north in Limpopo last week at a cultural conference for language and heritage matters so zenning was on the back burner. Anyway caught up this weekend. Yes we also have a Remembrance Day in SA. My Mom also lost her son, Eugene, my half brother during WWII. He was in the air force and was lost in action over the Mediterranean Sea. Left a sadness in her up to her passing at 93 years old. War has such a dreadful influence on the populations involved, yet we never seem to succeed in creating and keeping the peace around our beautiful planet. So sad.
Hope and prayer is all we need to succeed.
Love to all

Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for those wise words, Felicity.
*alternating light and dark string sections, grand details
*center Furr Balls spiral beautifully embellished


Thank you all for an incredible show of tiles.  Our veterans would be very proud to know how appreciated they are.

Many thanks to the creators of the tangles we used this week ~

Fife by Molly Hollibaugh


Fünf by Denise Rudd, CZT


Furr Balls by Carolyn Coyle


Check back tomorrow for "It's a String Thing" # 294 - we are inching our way to #300!!





1 comment: