Monday, April 15, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #287 Tiles

Happy Easter week!

What better way to celebrate that with these egg-cellent tiles ~

The first arrived from Allison (California) ~
I have been so surprised to find that it is Monday and I didn’t get to my IAST so here is my entry very early for me. I had fun with the black and white.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty effect with alternating black and white tangles
*shared grid for Hemp and Queen B


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Cooled with Ken Oliver COLOR BURST and gold gelly roll pen. Both #3YHemp and #QueenB were new to me. The color stain had already made the tile busy so I used those two patterns sparingly. I have a couple of active dove nests and I think some quail are working up to egg laying. Wishing my birds and you a happy spring. Thank you Adele for what you do for us! Hugs to you.
 Tangled Tidbits -
And to you!
*string center accentuated with shading and color
*free floating Hemp


From Vena Calver (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I did henna drum a long time ago. The other two were new to me. I should have practised both before I did my tile but time always runs away with me so I just had to do them as best I could. It is raining today and it is overcast and misty. We did hear the bald eagles and peacocks calling. We will be back in Ontario for my next tile. Enjoy your spring.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*dainty Henna Drum
*bold black for Hemp


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
This was just plain fun! Thank you :-)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty Easter background colors
*tangles shine in the middle string sections



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Thank you, Adele, for the alternate step out for the Tangle ‘Hemp’
I think I would have struggled with out them.
 Tangled Tidbits -
I am so happy they helped.
*lovely Henna Drum pushes passed the border
*wonderful shading adds depth


From Ingrid Coventon (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my IAST tile # 287 for this week.
A very light and airy tile this time, not so much contrast.
Your tips for tangling Hemp were very helpful. Thank you.
 Tangled Tidbits -
So good to know, thank you.
*aura-ed Henna Drum finished with shading and pretty details
*string 'egg' outlined and softly shaded


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
in the Easter time I love to draw on Easter eggs. That's why your Challenge fits perfectly with my Easter preparations. Again, I made two versions with your given patterns. Both I show on my blog at the link .
I send you another picture with a small selection of my Easter eggs this year.
I wish you and your family happy Easter holidays.
Greetings from Germany

 Tangled Tidbits -
Magarete, your eggs are beautiful!  Thank you for sending the photo of them.
*multiple details for Hemp
*touch of Knightsbridge adds great depth



From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Once again I’m so thankful for your tips, there’s no way I could have done Hemp without them. Usually it’s one word in your explanation that clarifies everything for me. This time it was the word “corners”. Being careful to draw the lines to the corners of the triangles made all the difference!
My plan here was to keep everything light both in color and in use of patterns.
Happy Easter to you and your family.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Oh, so happy to know, thank you!
*alternating Spring colors for Hemp surround the white string space
*delicate Henna Drum


From Gabi (Germany) ~

What a lovely idea! And so I tried to hide an easter egg behind a ribbon of HENNA DRUM.
 Tangled Tidbits -
And it looks like the golden egg!
*dark Henna Drum with colorful tangles behind
*bursts of blue Queen B


From Laurel Davis, CZT #28 (New York) ~
Saw a post on FB where someone used color on color. It looked cool, so I wanted to give it a try!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Spring-y colors and backdrop
*white dots and highlights show off the colorful tangles


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
For this challenge I have drawn just a big egg on a white tile and glued
it on a card. Therefore I have shortened the given string a bit and
Henna drum is drawn on the card.
Thank you very much for this lovely Eastern idea.
Looking forward to see the other entries.
Send you warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely take on the tangles
*waves of the string filled with patterns over the center egg shape


From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
Here's my tile for Easter challenge. Nice and bright with spring colours. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter.
 Tangled Tidbits -
And yours, too!
*happy tangles and colors
*Henna Drum curls repeat from each corner


From Moblue (Bremen, Germany) ~
See my tile for IAST#287 here enclosed.
All patterns were totally new to me. In the beginning, your string was not mine and I was almost going to skip this round although the single pattern flew well from my pen. And as it sometimes happen, suddenly everything fell at its place.
Nevertheless I messed up with 'Queen B', all bees fly in the wrong direction... So what's the heck, this is just my personal note.
So let's just see, what the others made of it.
Thank you, Adele, it was a fun as always.
Happy tangling from Moblue, Bremen, Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
Oh!  I loved your thought process, thank you :)
*Henna Drum framed Easter egg
*white, black, and gray spaces unite the tangles


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Three very interesting tangles this week. I spent a lot of time practising them in my notebook, and maybe not enough time on my tile, but fun anyway. Happy Easter everyone.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wispy Henna Drum along the string waves
*darkened spaces tie all three tangles together


From Ginger (California) ~
Springtime speaks of pink! Here's my entry for number 287. Something simple because spring is so complex! Thanks for your hints on trying out hemp; it works so slick.
 Tangled Tidbits -



From T. ~
This week both grid patterns (Hemp & Queen B) were new to me and somewhat daunting to start drawing.
I appreciated your tips for drawing Hemp. They also helped me set up the base lines for the intricacies of Queen B.
When I finished drawing the patterns all I saw on the tile was a jumble of black lines.
As has been the case in recent weeks, adding colour gave this piece unexpected life and I really love the result.
Although it may not be in the class of a Fabergé egg, I think it fits the Easter theme.
Thanks for another fun challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
A very fine Easter theme, indeed.
*long and lovely Henna Drum
*Queen B and Hemp shine in the foreground


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Thank you Adele.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*soft colors, dainty tangles
*mid section left white, compliments the surrounding tangles


From Lynn F. (Florida) ~
I think Queen B got the best of me but I find that sometimes it helps to go overboard and just try things to see what happens.
Thanks for another fun challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Well, said.
*weighted lines and wonderful details for Hemp
*darkened spaces of Queen B accent the string 'egg'



From Sra (India) ~
Here’s my entry for the latest IAST!
Have a nice and festive week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*dainty Hemp curls
*Tipple filled spaces and lovely white space


From Susie (Thailand) ~
In case this email catches you still in bed...you not having checked your emails yet...then I am just in time. [heavy breathing]
I tried to hide my Easter egg as much as I could, so please do not look too closely. It likes to remain incognito.
Thanks so much for a wonderful challenge once again.
Greetings from a very hot Thailand
 Tangled Tidbits -
I spy a "made in Thailand" egg...
*gorgeous coloring and tangles
*bits of Hemp floating free



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
The thick green lines are made with a brush pen ... a new to me tool. The green ink didn’t dry as quickly as an 01 micron ... when I added graphite the ink tinted the shading ... a happy oops to the tile. And I like that the tendrils give a crackled look to the egg shape. I omitted the horizontal wavy line and opted for a cartouche approach.
For the Hemp ribbon I used your alternative step out for Hemp ... super helpful!!!!
Such a great prompt to lead us into Holy Week!
Cheers to you (and your friend Tracey Nicholson) for sharing such helpful tips for tangling, and to Rick’s and Marie’s new Project Pack videos (and the older ones, too!).
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Sharyn.  I could serve Easter dinner on a platter with your design!
*beautiful border accented with Hemp
*pretty pink Hemp blossoms


From Cyndee Pelley, CZT (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
What a lovely Easter string and perfect tangles this week! Mine was a little bit darker than I intended but I still like the outcome! Spring has arrived!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous shades, highlights, and tangles
*Hemp variation creates fabulous flowers


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
I know the grid in the middle of the tile isn’t right, but I just couldn’t get it even after practicing. Hopefully being small disguises it!
 Tangled Tidbits -
It's always "right" in Zentangle :)
*Henna Drum vines
*aura and shading accent string "egg"


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Happy Easter! This tile is a little busy! I had a hard time incorporating the 3 patterns.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful blues and tangles
*larger dots create a wonderful Hemp variation



From Rebecca I. (Stamford, Connecticut) ~
After a few attempts, I was about to give up on this string and these Tangles, as the tiles just weren’t coming together in the way I envisioned. Then I decided to do the complete opposite of what I had been doing — tangle locations, sizes, etc — and voila! Not perfect but much happier. :-) Maybe I should try that more often! Happy holiday everyone.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for a good reminder to let the tangles lead the way...
*pretty spring colored tangles
*touch of shading adds layered look


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Enjoyed the Easter challenge. Hope you all have a blessed Easter.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely contrast of black/white and color
*happy Henna Drum in spring bloom


Thank you all for the festive tiles.  They are a glorious tribute to Easter time.

Special thanks to the creators of the tangles we used along with my string ~

Hemp by Sandy Bartholomew, CZT

Queen B by Helen Williams

Henna Drum by Jane MacKugler, CZT

Have a very happy Monday, a wonderful Holy Week,  and please check back Tuesday afternoon for 
"It's a String Thing" #288!

1 comment: