Monday, February 1, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #129 Tiles

Everything is coming up hearts this week.  We used three love-ly tangles in anticipation of Valentine's Day.  The results will bring a smile to your face and warm your heart.

Let's take a look ~

A very warm welcome to Tina Sanders (Arizona) ~
Thank you so much for your challenge this week. I’m still learning but had loads of fun. I used your LG pattern, Florz, Hibred, Meer and Pixioze.
My blog is Peacefully Tangling 
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely combination of tangles
*a burst of LG


This is my tile ~
The tangles surprised me for how relaxing and absolutely fun they were to draw.  I was most intrigued by Sue Jacob's LaBel.  When I added aura and varied the size, it took on a sweet, cartoonish look.  


From smgg (Taiwan) ~
Have a nice day!
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura on one side of LaBel
*shaded hearts on Caught



From Jennifer Sparrow (North Carolina) ~
I enjoyed this week's string and tangles. LaBel is one of my favorites, but I can never find a place for it. I always enjoy LG, too--it's so relaxing to draw.
I've posted my tile on my blog.
Thank you for keeping our Love (for Zentangle!) Growing!

Tangled Tidbits -
*open and flowing hearts and curls of LaBel
*billowing layers of LG


From Ilse Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Thank you for another lovely challenge!


Tangled Tidbits -
*light and airy tangles
*layers of LG emphasized with various sizes and shading


From Joanne Faherty (United Kingdom) ~
Here's my bold black and white tile. I like it looking forward to seeing the next few weeks heart related it's a string thing.
Oh and wow 70 entries last week all beautiful well done 😄
 Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous black and white, sparkled stripes of LG
*LG incorporated into Caught


From Bhamathi Pai (Bangalore, India) ~
I loved all of the tangles this week...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant LaBel
*all LG hearts oriented in the same direction


From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) and here on her blog ~

this is so a lovely challenge with the beautyful heart-based patterns. I had a lot of fun with the challenge this week. Thank you for this. Here is my entry.
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shading down the center of each LG heart
*double lines of LaBel


From Lucy Banta (New Jersey) and here on her blog ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*stunning LG created with alternating light and dark aura
*just a wisp of LaBel


From Talia Maynard (United Kingdom) ~
I have really enjoyed this week's challenge. Hearts are my absolute favourite so to see them on the tangle menu is always exciting.
I have fallen in love with Caught. It's such a pretty pattern and very versatile. I imagine I will use it a lot in future. And your LG is such fun to draw.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*dotted lines for Caught
*elegant lines of LaBel, aura-ed and shaded


From Simone Menzel (Germany) ~
Another IAST challenge, I had a lot of fun with it!
The first heart related IAST Challenge this year:
LG is a tangle which I used in my very first IAST tile (#101).
The two other tangles "Caught" und "LaBel" are new to me but both are very nice despite I am not really a fan of heart- tangles. BUT its Valentine Day soon so we cannot avoid it!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles burst from the center
*aura around the diamond shapes in Caught


A warm welcome to Winter Illios (Indianapolis, Indiana) ~
Here is my submission for this week’s challenge. Have a great week, I look forward to seeing the other entries.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled red hearts of LG
*Caught diamonds repeated in LaBel


From Deepti Jois (India) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*curved grid of Caught
*four rows of beautifully tangled LaBel


From Hilary Merola (Rome, Italy) ~
This was a very enjoyable project. I loved the combination of patterns you chose—so many hearts! I used my regular colored pencils and my new Magic multicolored pencils for shading.
I've been meaning to tell you how much I look forward to your Wednesday's Words of Wisdom. They're all great, but this week's was especially meaningful.

Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty combination of colors for this ZIA
*sweet contrast between the dense LG and lighter Caught



From Linda Bladen (United Kingdom) ~
Good morning from a very wet and windy north west UK. We're being blown away by the same storm that dumped snow on your east coast so found some more time to sit and tangle. Enjoyed the hearts and look forward to some more

Tangled Tidbits - 
*curved, neat grid for Caught
*LG along the string line, shaded to one side of each


From Sarah (Michigan) and here on her blog ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*aura-ed LaBel
*aura of LG is mirrored in aura of Caught


From Cheryl Stocks (Arizona) ~
Thank you so much for the challenge this week. The first tile is the true IAST and then I fashioned a different string but still used the same tangles you suggested for this week. They're all in there, just some might be larger than life (in the first tile) and with hearts scattered all over (in the second).
From sunny Scottsdale, Arizona.
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant heart emerges from the curls of LaBel
*hint of LG and a large, sparkled orb from LaBel


*dark, sparkled aura of LG
*curls of LaBel tipped with hearts from Caught



From Anita A Westin (Sweden) ~
Here is my entry. In a hurry! But I liked it!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*lovely white on black tangles
*light and lighter center hearts of LG


From Sally (Massachusetts) ~
Lots of fun hearts!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shadowed secondary grid of Caught
*clever incorporation of LaBel into Caught


From Portia Hyde (Michigan) ~
Haven’t sent one in for awhile. This one is a bit minimalistic, light and airy.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*shading accents the tangles and compliments the white space
*LaBel hearts pop with a bit of shading


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here is my tile for IAST 129. I like how these patterns compliment each other.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful LaBel border
*one grid for Caught


From Rhonda Roy (Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Cananda) ~
I think I try It's a String Thing every week, but I rarely get it finished in time to post, so I'm happy I managed to finish my tile in time this week! Thanks for your challenges, and for showing everyone's submissions. The overwhelming variety is a real inspiration. 
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delicate variation of LaBel
*great depth in LG


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Loved drawing all the hearts. I always like to see red hearts, so I coloured them all in!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*double row of hearts in LaBel
*dark background for LG


From Susan Theron (South Africa) and here on her blog ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*LG dark center hearts and spaces
*an aura of shading for LaBel


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
...Last week I enjoyed the line up of the tiles. They were all so beautiful and so interesting to look at.
Congratulations with your new tangle Amore. It is such an elegant and lovely one.
I loved this week's challenge with the hearts theme. But as usual with hearts, I had to throw in some colors because I can't make them black. (Looking forward to the next heart themed challenges)...

Tangled Tidbits - 
*string lines of LaBel
*cheery, colorful hearts in all the tangles


From Deb Jacobs (Tichigan, Wisconsin) ~
Good Morning Adele, the weather here in Wisconsin is a balmy 42 degrees today. Quite the heat wave! I really liked this string and the tangles you suggested. Your new tangle is very versatile....I've been playing with it since Wednesday! Here's my answer to your challenge. I went a little out of character, for me, and left some white space. I like the results...reminds me to leave some white space in my daily life. Have a great week. 

Tangled Tidbits - 
*layers of LG
*curved grid for Caught with just one black heart


A very warm welcome to Mary Helmers ~
I learned about Zentangle through my then-13 year old granddaughter, who was introduced to it during art class at her Middle School. Her mom told me she was quite interested, and wanted a book on Zentangle for Christmas. Of course, being a good grandmother, I got her the book, the pens, some drawing pencils for shading, some tortillions to make the shading nicer, and a nice box to keep it all in. Then I bought a pad of heavy water color paper and cut tiles with my handy-dandy, school quality paper cutter.
Humm. Over fifty 3 1/2 inch square cards running loose in that box. Not right. So, I made a box. And having read the Zentangle book and created two tiles that amazed me, untalented artist that I am, I jumped right off the deep end and took a silhouette of my granddaughter (done at Disneyland several years ago), copied it and fiddled around with it until I had her face in silhouette, and her hair outlined and ready to tangle. I was quite simply floored with the results (I did THAT?!?!?!?). It now adorns the top of the box I made for her to keep blank tiles in.
So now, I am involved in "A Tangle A Day," and decided to give your challenge a try. This is Tile #6. Or maybe #7. I have always wished I could draw. I have a cousin and a granddaughter that are quite good artists, and now I can turn out something that delights me!
I enjoy your blog, and look forward to sending in more challenges.
Tangled Tidbits - 
What a wonderful story - and that Mary's granddaughter introduced her to tangling!
*curved and straight grids for Caught
*delicate LaBel border


From Judy Wanner, CZT (Pennsylvania) ~
...Sorry not to have used Caught. I did like using that tangle in a larger scale on a wonky grid though. I made this one with enough foo foo so had to call it quits!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful use of LG on a string line
*dainty  heart of LaBel
(I spy one of my frames :)

From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*large and small grid for Caught
*LG crowns rows of LaBel


From Ann McCool (California) ~
It's been about 6 months since I've done any drawing of any sort. This is was a fun tile to get back into it. The colored hearts gave a different effect than I anticipated, but it's still fun. :)
 Tangled Tidbits ~
*striking LaBel - aura, dots, shading
*LG makes for a beautiful center with lighter tangles on either side


From Kirsten Bish (Michigan) ~
Enclosed please find my newest Tangle "Heartfelt".
What a great challenge! Can we please do hearts through Valentine's? I like you am a sucker for anything heart related. I loved all the different tangles
Tangled Tidbits - 
*shaded background of LG
*lace-like string line of LaBel
(I spy Amore :)


From Jane Glotzer (Colorado) ~
This one came together so quickly...What can I say?...I have loved your LG since I first learned it...I use it all the time on cards and decorating packages...
So I started there in those two opposing sections...very, very hard to resist putting in the red centers, so I gave in--:) Added the pop of Caught to the top left and then I decided to go with a little variation of your new Amore for the final spot (instead of LaBel.) Everything got the red center treatment, a bit of shading...and it's very
heart-y...filled with zentangle love!
Thanks, as always, for all you do!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Amore again :)
*great layering of LG



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Thanks again for an interesting challenge. I feel I have struggled to breathe life into it this week, but it's the process that matters.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*vibrant LG floats into Caught
*sprays of LaBel



From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I wanted to use La Bel to outline the string, but I felt like I needed to "beef it up" so it wouldn't get lost ... so I doubled several of the lines. Caught is almost exactly like my grandmother's wallpaper (except it didn't have hearts, but it had red diamonds and black diamonds) ... every time I practiced it I was transported back to that room. I didn't even want to distort it to fit into any of the spaces, so I did what might be considered a copout, and ran it as background for the whole tile. I liked Christine Reyes' example where she placed the pattern diagonally, but I wanted the hearts on the edges to be perfect half-hearts, so I angled the hearts 45 degrees differently (so the point points toward a corner instead of toward a side). It was fun to do use pretty and decorative tangles.
Thanks!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*cleverly thought out grid
*fabulous variation of LaBel - with sparkle!


From Jami (Ohio) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*dotted aura for the hearts in Caught
*a bit of LaBel along the string line with LG blooming from it



From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely LaBel border
*one center heart of LG pops over the neighboring heart's aura



From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Hearts. Hum...
To draw them, true, they are not my fave
But about them do others have this to say..
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.
~Proverbs 17:22
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
~Confucius
Man has made many machines, complex and cunning,
but of which of them indeed rivals the workings of the heart?

~Pablo Casals 
And my favorite...

The heart never becomes wrinkled.
~Marie de Rabutin-Chantal

Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you for the sentiments, Marla.  The last one is a new favorite - it made me sigh when I read it.
*curls, loops, and dots for LaBel
*fabulous LG - varied line weight, dots, dashes, sparkle, shading


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Arizona) and here on her blog ~
...At first I wasn't sure how the 3 tangles would work together; but they did.
I keep having the feeling that I could have enhanced the shading somehow, but it just wasn't happening. So here it is:
Tangled Tidbits - 
*detail lines in the hearts of LaBel
*light and dark center hearts of LG and Caught


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
... Caught by Christine Reyes and LaBel by Sue Jacobs are both new to me. They were great to try . My LaBel looks rather different to the
example given by Sue Jacobs, but I like the hearts and their curly tails and the pattern worked well as a border. LG by yourself is one of my favourites,
but I seem to struggle with the heart shape and then the auras lose their shape a bit. As you see I’ve entered two takes on the challenge. Tile 129B I did
various forms of LG and mixed them in with Caught. Hmmm!? Then I did one as a filler with LG (which I love) and LaBel as a border with a diagonal version of Caught
as a backdrop. Enjoyed shading this one a lot.
Thank you for a great challenge and all the words of help and wisdom.
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant variation of LaBel
*LG incorporated into Caught

*Tipple centers of LG
*alternating black and white diamonds and red and white hearts in Caught
*shading adds wonderful depth



From Dorrit (Punta Gorda, Florida) ~
It’s always such fun to see where the tangles will lead. Thank you for the inspiration.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*full hearts of LaBel
*aura added to the LG grouping



From Karin (Germany) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*diamond and square grids for Caught
*aura-ed string lined with LaBel


From Anna Houston, CZT (British Columbia, Canada) ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*curved grid for Caught flows through two string sections
*corners of LaBel filled with LG


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
What a great combination of tangles! This was a first time using Sue Jacobs' Elegant LaBel. It reminds me of carved frames. I tried to give Caught some depth to balance with the dimension LG takes on when shaded. It reminds me of walking on a rocky river bed so I'm calling this tile 'lovely baby steps'.
Thank you for another happy tangling moment!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*doubled string lines filled with LaBel add to the over all lovely curves
*neatly aura-ed and shaded LG


From ToniLyn D (Florida) and here on her blog ~
I want to thank you for including my tangle entries, I am really enjoying learning to Zentangle. I have also been finally working on my blog so that I can give credit to all the wonderful people I am learning from and so that I can also share with and follow others who share in the Zentangle experience.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*delicate LaBel border
*shading pops the center hearts of Caught and the layers of LG





And now...
the (Zentangle Inspired Art) tile for honors this week was sent in by...
Katrina Handson of Florida ~
Here's my entry for string 129 :) I liked the hearts. it was perfect for how close it's getting to valentines day ! I experimented a lot with these new patterns and tried adding some colored pencil for the first time to my zentangle. Great Challenge!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Large heart is aura-ed with LaBel
*LG runs along the string line, behind the blue heart and up from behind it
*Caught is tangled white on black and black on white
*LaBel, tangled along the string arc, is arua-ed thin lined to one side and thick to another
*LG in a cluster, in lines, and alone in the corners

Congratulations, Katrina!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Thank you to everyone for joining in the fun, especially for sending in your lovely tiles.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the string and tangles used this week along with my LG ~

TanglePatterns String 169 by Beth Snoderly

Caught by Christine Reyes

LaBel by Sue Jacobs, CZT

Thank you all for sharing the love :)

Stop by Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #130!








1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing my piece Adele, you made my day! Such lovely inspiration on this post too... I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete