Tuesday, April 7, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #86 Tiles

Happy Eastertime!  This week's challenge featured a string with an egg hunt in mind and four lovely patterns.  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Cathy Cusson who wrote ~
I really liked the look of well mooka-z, but I am going to need some practice with that one before I can use it. I loved the template and decided to go with the other 3 tangles until I can work out some struggles with this new one...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a CO2 egg :)
*sections of Coaster weave through CO2


Carmela wrote ~
Thanks for the Easter Egg string. I loved it.
Also the patterns are nice to draw.
Sometimes i see somebody draw one pattern big and beautiful.
I made Well-Mooka-Z in my tangle agenda and it went beautiful, but as background i found it to busy.
So i made several big and i regret it.
On my blog.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*CO2 sprinkled around Well-Mooka-Z
*bold dark spaces of Well


With a "Happy Easter" from Portia Hyde ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely variations of the tangles
*a smattering of CO2 with lovely white space


From Christina Luis ~
What a delightful string this week. And a new tangle. I really like the look of the well - Mooka- Z. It was a little bit of a challenge but once I saw what I was doing wrong I figured it out. Thank you!
This is also posted on my blog.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautifully shaded Coaster
*two versions of Well in the center section


From Audrie Weisenfelder ~
...here's my challenge piece. You'll notice that I only did a small bit of Well-Mooka-Z. I really like it a lot, but I just haven't completely mastered it, so I concentrated on a couple of tangleations of the original Well, along with Coaster and CO2...It's also on my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful versions of Well
*sprinkles of CO2
*a pretty tip of Well-Mooka-Z


From Talia Maynard ~
This was a very fun challenge and it cried out for some bright colours. So here is my attempt at a very tricky tangle. I may make a card out of it!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful blue Well-Mooka-Z
*dots added to the light touches of CO2



From Susan Szathmary ~
..... It's really over worked , too busy , and lacks depth.....And I got carried away with coloring *sigh* ..I am sending you this eggsagerated egg.... I did enjoy figuring out the
"well- mooka- z "
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delightful detail lines for Well-Mooka-Z, Well, and Coaster
*pretty spring colors!

From Ragged Ray ~
I love Sharyn's tangle - but my, it's a tough one to get to grips with - so easy to get in a mess with. But I love that sense of challenge. I'm not sure I'm close to tapping it's full charm yet, but I want to keep working with it. Always a sign of a great tangle.
As soon as I saw it I thought of those swirls of white piped icing on chocolate Easter eggs so that's the look I went for on my tile. It hasn't come out quite as well as it looked in my mind - but perhaps a bit like an egg that doesn't taste quite as you hoped it might!
Anyway, thanks for the challenge, and best wishes for a happy Easter time,
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a beautiful brown egg accentuates Well-Mooka-Z and CO2
*great details for Coaster - weighted lower line, shading, and detail lines


From Ilse Lukken ~
Funny: an Easter egg as a string :-)
Together with the patterns Well, Well-Mooka-Z and CO2 I tried to give my tile a Spring-Easter-feeling, but somehow black became a dominant color. Zentangle-life is full of surprises ;-)
I put the tile on my blog as well. 

 Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous light dark contrasts
*light touch of CO2 compliments the bold Well and Well-Mooka-Z


From Emily Shelton ~
I wasn't even sure I could duplicate the string this week which you created (Easter Egg Hunt), much less the featured pattern Well-Mooka-Z by Sharyn Penna. The pattern looked way too complicated and it did take me quite a while to get the hang of it. But I'm sure glad I did. I just love the luscious look of it when the rounding is complete.
Then there was the string dilemma -- After I added Coaster by Carole Ohl, CZT to the outer extensions, the whole thing just looked like a big bug with 2 little anemic arms.
I soldiered on. Well by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas (not my favorite pattern) and CO2 by Antonine Megger found their places. Then I decided I just couldn't resist adding the little Easter bunny. Even his ears are supposed to be shaped and angled like 2 arms of Well-Mooka-Z and of course he has a Dust Bunny (Margaret Bremner) tail.
Thanks Adele for another errr...challenging challenge.
Found [on my blog
Tangled Tidbits ~
*such a celebration of the process of tangling - thank you, Emily :)
*wonderful Well-Mooka-Z
*aura for Coaster
*the cutest little bunny!



From Michele Wynne ~
Well, this was quite the challenge. I love the string and all of the patterns, but "Well-Mooka-Z" was a very difficult pattern to wrap my brain and pen around. I spent about an hour trying to work it out in my sketchbook. I loved the look of it, but I was just not getting there. I started the tile with a "Well" in one corner and just let it evolve and had pretty much decided I wasn't going to use "Well-Mooka-Z". When I got to that last strip of space I thought, "I will not be defeated!" and dove in. It's not as elegant as I'd hoped but not the train wreck I'd anticipated either. Thanks for pushing me out of my comfort zone. Again.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*absolutely amazing Well - striped and sparkled 
*delicate Coaster 
*wonderful Well-Mooka-Z


From Well-Mooka-Z's creator, Sharyn Penna ~
Looks like the Easter Bunny came early! You posted my pattern and my sprained elbow has healed enough to use a pen ... just in time for this prompt.
I can't thank you enough for sharing the pattern. I can't wait to see the tiles next week.
Happy Easter and Holy Week.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gradual change in the size of Well-Mooka-Z, along with wonderful shading, adds depth
*shaded border and great white space



From Magdalene Lee ~
First I must send my apologies to Sharyn. She drew a beautiful rendition of Well-Mooka-Z, but unfortunately I just couldn't work it out, and I'm afraid I didn't do her tangle justice. In fact this whole tile was a bit of a challenge for me, as Coaster was the only tangle I found easy to do. But I loved Coaster, and I foresee myself using it again.
I've put the tile on my blog as well.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*yummy lines of Coaster
*CO2 popping from lines of Coaster
*lined and black alternating spaces for Well
*superb shading


From Efie - and here on her blog ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful white spaces
*very pretty, detailed tangles
*dark center of Well-Mooka-Z centers the tile


From Annemarie ~
Thanks for another challenge, a real Easter one :-)
The only tangle I didn't use is Well-Mooka-Z. I started with a tile that I had colored before with inkspray and used a black pen.
After tangling I took pastel pencils and colored the egg and the ribbons some more. I don't know why, but Well keeps giving me problems; My hand just doesn’t follow the direction I want it to.
[on my blog]
Tangled Tidbits - 
*pretty CO2 filled egg
*darkened center line for Coaster


From Donna Flynn~
...Here's my piece for this week. I fell in love with Well - Mooka -Z! Such a gorgeously intricate pattern.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful Well-Mooka-Z
*multi-colored CO2


From CZT Sue Jacobs ~
Beautiful string! And I had never tried the tangle from Sharyn Penna so I was happy to give it a go. Thanks!
On my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Well-Mooka-Z, pretty in pink
*simple and elegant Coaster


From Annie Taylor ~
I loved the challenge this week and was really excited to try the beautiful Well-Mooka-Z tangle....Ha! I rushed it a bit and got it, well let's say 'not right' - but I persevered and made a tanglation (which is a Zentangle way of saying 'I made it up') instead.
And I love the final effect! Really enjoyed this but confess I laughed all the way through at my inability - for two weeks running - to master the tangles you gave us. Please don't tell me to take it more seriously...no, I know you won't.
Never mind! I will keep trying.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*sensational shading
*aura for Coaster
*wonderful tangleation of Well-Mooka-Z
*and Annie is so right - I would recommend having FUN as you tangle along :)


From Ingrid Coventon ~
What a lovely string you provided us with. All the tangles were new to me and I loved working with them. Well-Mooka-Z is a beautiful tangle but it took me some time to figure out how to draw it the right. Very relaxing again this challenge.
I wish you Happy Easter Days.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*lovely, large CO2
*Well-Mooka-Z - dark spaces around the curled lines and shaded oval centers - wonderful!



From Debra Schuman ~
In between sec baseball games I managed to get this completed. These were new tangles and I did not have time to practice so I just went with it. Wanted Easter spring colors.i struggled some but like the outcome. Thanks again for hosting this challenge and all the wonderful FUN! Have a wonderful Easter.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful Coaster border
*bold Well-Mooka-Z


From Juul ~
In the last minute I send you my contribution. I thought I would create something much more nice to look at,but well,it is what it is....
I will try better next time haha!
I wish you and your family very nice and happy easterdays (with loads of chocolat of course)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lines of Well blend as aura for the center string oval
*wispy Well-Mooka-Z
*yes, tangling is always better with chocolate :)


 From Cheryl Stocks ~
Best wishes for all the celebrations of Spring. Thanks for the challenge. Some of these patterns I found to be complicated, but I found my Zen. The string really is under all that...on a Rolling Rock bar coaster that reads, " Create Something." It's something all right; I'm not quite sure what!
[on my blog ]
Tangled Tidbits - 
*double lines of Coaster give the tangle a fabulous flare
*a few Well-Mooka-Z spin away from the main cluster


From CZT Joan Delony ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*CO2 bubbling from a cracked Coaster egg - so much fun!
*pretty colors
*sparkles for Well

From Daniel Lamothe ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*intersecting spheres of Coaster
*alternating spaces of Well and Coaster
*long, curved lines accent the center shaded string lines

From Traci ~
Happy Easter!
Can't say this is one of my favorite tangles ... But it's certainly festive!

Tangled Tidbits -
*CO2 popping up in Well-Mooka-Z and Coaster
*pretty shaidng
*vibrant colors


From Lori Byerly ~
Thanks so much for the Easter-themed challenge. What a great way to celebrate the season. Thanks also for sharing Sharyn's pattern Well-Mooka-Z. It's always fun to work with new patterns.
You can see my tile here

Tangled Tidbits -
*pops of CO2 on Coaster
*one large blend of Well and Well-Mooka-Z
*sensational shading


From Kath G~

Tangled Tidbits ~
*lovely string lines filled with CO2 and Coaster
*swirls of Well wonderfully shaded


From Daniel Lamothe ~

I have to admit, the only thing I really like about this tile is Coaster...but Zentangle isn't about the end product anyways, so oh well. It was definitely fun to draw ^_^

Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating Coaster and Well
*intersecting circles of Coaster
*very nice shading


A very warm welcome to Jodi!
I'm a newbie here! Well-Mooka-Z pretty much kicked my behind by I really enjoyed all the other tangles, none of which I'd done before. Thanks for doing these, I love having new things to try and, most especially, to see what others have done. The creativity of humans always around me!
I was thinking Fabrege egg and I used the stardust sparkle pen quite a bit but it never photographs very well...
Tangled Tidbits -
*large Coaster, striped, sparkled, and shaded - wow!
*an abundance of aura
*wonderful details


From CZT Lucy Banta ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*sprigs of CO2 - very clever!
*lovely lines Well


From Betsy Gentry~
I loved this challenge and the shapes of these tangles. Whimsical and free. They all worked so well together and were so fun to draw. Got my mojo on with this one. What is Easter without some happy colors? I can't wait to see everyone else's tiles.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*soft touches of color
*Well-Mooka-Z swirling from behind Well


From Terri Young ~
Hope I'm not too late with this egg. I had to hunt for it, not in the grass but in my tangle bag!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous double lines for Coaster
*light and heavy lines of CO2
*stripes and sparkle for Well
*superb shading

And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by Joya from Germany ~

She wrote ~
I wish you all a very happy Easter! ♥ It was really fun to tangle this challenge, I didn`t know Well-Mooka-Z and CO2, and the wonderful String really inspired me...

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful border of varying sizes of CO2
*sublime shading
*wonderful Well-Mooka-Z 

Congratulations Joya!


Thank you to everyone for sending in your wonderful tiles this week and for your sweet Easter greetings.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used with my string ~


Well-Mooka-Z by Sharyn Penna
Well by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas
Coaster by Carole Ohl, CZT
and
CO2 by Antonine Megger


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #87!


1 comment:

  1. Such beautiful tiles! Thank you, Adele, for featuring my tangle, and thank you to everyone for using my tangle in this week’s prompt!! My favorite part of viewing the tiles each week is seeing the many varieties of a pattern ... and this week's array of Well-Mooka-Z make me so happy! I totally agree with the general consensus ... Well-Mooka-Z does take some practice ... I wear reader glasses when I do this tangle since there is more close up detail involved ... and I am working on a new step out sheet that offers some hints and easier to follow steps ... once completed I'll share it with Adele. Thank you again, everyone! Your Well-Mooka-Z tiles are simply stunning and I am thrilled! Sharyn

    ReplyDelete