Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom

I should rename today's post because 'Personal Observation' might be a more accurate title...

In the past when faced with a new art project, I tended to procrastinate - but not out of laziness as the word tends to suggest.

A certain trepidation would set in - would it turn out the way I envisioned?  Would I be disappointed with the outcome?  What if I 'messed up'?  These questions would lead to a bit of nervousness and therefore a reluctance to begin.

In a gradual steady manner, as I have tangled most every day of the last two and a half years, I have noticed a welcomed change in my approach to the creative process.

A sense of freedom and excitement, even eagerness to begin, has replaced my old mindset.  Tangling is a chance to explore line and pattern, and delight in what unfolds.

Ruminating about this happy change, I spent an afternoon playing.  I dipped into my tin of prestrung Zendala  tiles and pulled out two designs, one with straight neatly angled lines and one full of curves and bends.

For the first one, I decided that I would use only straight lined tangle patterns - Paradox, Fassett, and Hurry.

Adele Bruno, CZT

For the second one, I used only curvy, spiraled and round tangle patterns - Mooka, Jetties, Ennies, Circfleur,Crescent Moon, and Printemps.

Adele Bruno, CZT

It was interesting that the curved string line yielded a more detailed design - but then again, it did have more sections to tangle.

I encourage you, as you tangle, to "go with the flow", enjoy the process, and I am certain you will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

2 comments:

  1. These are both gorgeous Adele. I'm going to be spending a bit of time doing Zendalas over the next 3 weeks as we are doing one in my next class. I love the clean look of the straight lines but I love the depth of character of the curved ones! There is a place for everything in this world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post to read Adele - to hear how your Zentangling has had an influence on your overall creative process. It's still early days for me but I'm keen to see how it shifts, alters and hopefully improves my creative writing practice. I think there are great overlaps and things to learn from all disciplines that feed into others.

    ReplyDelete