Monday, March 10, 2014

"It's a REAL LIFE String Thing" #30 Results

This week's challenge featured a page from Sindy P, CZT's wonderful new book
Real Life Strings.  The unique string line was Sindy's retouched photograph of a paved driveway and the tangle patterns began with the letters 'Pe' with the option of using additional patterns that began with the letter 'P'.

I invited Sindy herself to view the entries and select the lucky tangler to whom she will be sending her book. I wish everyone had the experience I did - to see her face light up with each picture, hear her oohs and aahs, and be privy to her appreciation for all of your gorgeous takes on her Real Life String.   At one point - overwhelmed with "all of the tangled yummy-ness" as she calls it, marveling at every detail - she exclaimed, "I don't know how people have time for this!"  And she is so very grateful that you do!


Rosanne Cannito sent in the first tangle -
She added a light airy touch with Printemps that contrasts nicely with her darker spaces in the opposite corner.

Joyce Evans wrote:
I printed out the pattern in several sizes and decided to cut a larger one into a 3.5 x 3.5 inch tile. I chose to use some P tangle patterns rather than the PE ones. The tangle patterns I used are: Pokeroot, Pokeleaf, Phicops, Pais, Printemps, Paradox and Pozer. I tried highlighting with a white charcoal pencil and it didn't show up well so I used a white Jellyroll pen.


That was a great idea - to print the image larger and then cut it down to size.  She had larger spaces to work in as a result.  She darkened in the spaces between the string lines - a nice detail that you will notice in other tiles as you scroll down.

Joyce followed up her first note with this one - 
I tried another technique for the string. I cut out a 4.5 inch square section of the larger pattern of Sindy’s and put graphite on the back then traced it onto a 3.5 inch square tile. I then used Pentrils for the string, added Peaks Border, Pepper and a variation of Pegs. The colour is with Pigma micron pens.

More wonderful ideas that we can all use for future projects - thank you, Joyce.  Joyce used Pendrills along the string line and this is another lovely detail echoed through the entries.

CZT Diana Schreur sent greetings from the Netherlands along with her gorgeous piece.  She writes:
Oh what fun fun was this string thing. I loved it. And I think I am going to try this with my own pictures. I printed the picture on my strathmore tan colored paper, and started to draw pendrils among the pavement string. I did just a little shading and a little highlighting, and was impressed by how it turned out, especially on the tan colored paper, the background grey of the photo just blends perfect into the tan colored paper.

My grateful thanks are going to you and to Sindy for adding a new oppurtunity to use (my ) photos in combination with my tangle passion.


This is very elegant.  It is interesting to see how the grey blends in so well with the tan paper as Diana said - and the bit of white highlighting adds a 'just right' feel to the tangle.


Ragged Ray's note was as lovely as her entry, so I include it here - 
I'm loving the idea of throwing the net far and wide for string inspiration. I'm starting to realise, in no small part due to your challenges, that a good string can make for a great tile. Sometimes my made up strings are too simple or similar and the resulting tiles lack a little interest or variety. I'd drawn a few string ideas (that I'm yet to work with) based on things I'd seen - bird wings, a washing line - but the idea of using photos is great.

I was very excited about the idea of using Sindy's photo for this week's challenge - however my temperamental printer had other ideas... so I end up hand-drawing a string that hopefully bears fair resemblance to the original!

And then I filled it with Pepper - lots of Pepper. It might make an awkward path to walk on, but it would be delightfully tactile. And I can imagine birds and other creatures poking into those holes to see what they can find.
Thanks as always to you (and Sindy) for the inspiration and the fun,

To do this piece justice, it is better viewed in a larger format and you may want to take the time to do that.  Her pattern is very detailed in areas and the monotangle is just marvelous!


Cheryl Anne Day-Swallow wrote:
Here is the challenge 30. I've entitled this piece Yellow Brick Road.
The very best to Sindy and her new book.
The letters were made using Pendrills.
The bricks I decorated using Pea-nuckle, Peaks, Pepper and Pegs.
It's colorful and so inviting.  And another usable idea - Pendrills for lettering - ooooh, the possibilities!


Annemarie sent apologies along with her tile.  She said that she forgot the tangles were ones that began with 'P'.  It is so good that she sent it in anyway -just look at the potential for use with other tangles -

When Sindy saw this, she said, "Now that is just fun!"  And it is!


Ingrid Coventon interestingly combined the tangles that Ragged Ray and Diana Schreur used -


Isn't that a beautiful combination? Pendrills is so lovely when it sprouts leaves.  Ingrid's shading of the open spaces makes them so dimensional.

Sharyn Penna wrote:
I wasn't sure I'd try this challenge, I wasn't sure how to approach it. I copied the image, lightened it and printed a couple copies,but everything I put on it seemed cluttered. So I printed a copy and tangled on the original tones. I added sepia micron to Tendrils and then 5 prismacolor pencils before I was satisfied. This was a great challenge ... I'm planning on buying the book to put in my Easter basket! 
See how she has Pendrills moving in and through, around and behind Peaks Border? -Great idea!

A very warm welcome to Colette Horsburgh.  This is her first entry - 

She also has it posted here on her blog.  She used a single tangle in each section and alternated the light and dark spaces.  Using just one tangle in each space is a really good idea - thank you!

Cathy Cusson said that she calls her piece "Playing with Shadows" - 

And it looks like she had fun playing.  Doesn't it make you smile?  Her line work is lovely and the shadow cast brings a warm sunny day to mind.


Sue Agnew echoed a sentiment of mine - that she can't believe this is #30 - how time flies...

She wrote, "This one is Peaknuckle ... and I tried to work in a slight homage to Peaks Border ... and then Paradox."
Sue tangled alternating full rows of patterns - lovely rows.  She added her signature sparkle to Pea-nuckle and the darkened sections add nice 'weight' to the tangle.

Charlotte Carpentier said that "this one was a bit of a challenge!"

She said that even thought the picture was larger, the defined spaces were "smallish."  Non-the-less, she filled them in with pretty tangles.  Some very nice features include:  Pepper flowing from Pendrills, the beautiful detail on Pegs and the swatch of Peaks Border through the middle.


Amy Curtis said that she "especially enjoyed learning Pendrills and watching them spread across the paper."

What a joy to see as well!  Amy also completed the last two challenges and has them posted - along with her beautiful tile above - here on her blog.


Audrie Weisenfelder wrote:
As you can see, I took some liberties with the string. I thought it was an interesting concept, and did the best I could with it. I used 2 of the prescribed tangles: Pepper and Peaks Border, and added my 2 favorite "P" tangles: Purk and Paradox. 
And what a nice blend of tangles it turned out to be!  See how she used Purk in a full row and then further up in her tile she alternated the direction in each of the sections?  It gives Purk a really interesting look - ingenious idea!
Audrie also posted her tile here on her pretty purple blog.

Rhonda Koplin said:
This was fun! I started out with 'nzeppel and decided to incorporate some of the tangles used in my last two classes. As usual, I can never predict how designs looked when just playing. Although I was frustrated that the spaces were too small to create a "little mooka," I love they way they turned out after filling in the middle of each 'nzeppel square. And I never would have predicted a pansy-type effect when just drawing lines ~ is that munchin?

This is an exciting entry because Rhonda completed the challenge in the book itself - now that is fabulous!  She pushed her tangles out passed the string lines.  Doesn't it appear as though they could just keep growing off the page?

Henrike Bratz said that it is spring in Germany - a warm, sunny welcome to you!

She said that she "thought about a clean an sterile pavement. But then all the "P-patterns" come crawling in ...."
This is the best of both worlds - the white space and the delicately tangled spaces.  The darkened spaces and shading make each area rise off the paper.  It is a wonderful mix.

Brenda Urbanik said that she was "putting this down as a major learning experience" - 

She said that when she printed the picture, the background insisted on being a shade of grey and the cobble stones "flummoxed" her.  (great word!)
Her tile belies her frustrations though- the background color works so well with her patterns.  The darkened areas in Pea-nuckle provide a rich contrast to Peg.  She added some white highlights that show up nicely on the grey.  Brenda's shading of Peg gives it the appearance of pulling up from the page.  
While it may have been a bigger challenge, the result was grand!

Peggy Kohrmann had fun with this.  She wrote:
Since my name is Peggy I began my task with Pegs. I like the penguins and they seemed to march across this tile. I added Puf with Pea-nuckle and Pepper. Peaks Border was fun to add where the paper edge and the string edge merged.

A happy thing to be able to use a pattern with your name!  She chose to leave some spaces open as well and added a really nice touch with the Peaks Border border :)

Jenna Wheatman said, "What a great idea to make strings from real life, I love the combination of photography and zentangle. It is a great slant for both arts."  

She also said that she "did not want to lose the string" because as she said, "I think it deserves to shine."  After "a few attempts" she sent in this striking piece - 


She focused the centers of Pepper on the intersecting lines of Pendrills and her pattern radiates from there.  True to her description, her Pendrill string line shines above, casting a shadow on Pepper below.  It is captivating.



It was a difficult challenge for Sindy to pick just one entry for honors this week - and a gift of her book - but choose she did....

CONGRATULATIONS go to SUE JACOBS!


Of her tile, Sue wrote:
I decided to use my Pendrills as the string with Pepper 'blossoms' here and there. with the Peaks Border and Pea-nuckle tucked behind. - I have to tell you I have a special affection for the Pea-nuckle tangle. The name reminds me of Pinochle - which was my grandfather's favorite card game, so every time I draw this tangle I think of them.
Happy thoughts for a very happy result.

Sindy was instantly drawn to Sue's tile.   She liked that she had to search for the string line, yet it was still there.  She loved that the patterns flowed over and under - and most especially - she appreciated the partial border of Peaks Border.  "It's like going to a frame shop and having mats layered over your picture to see which one you like," she said.

Congratulations again, Sue.  Sindy has her new book on its way to you.

Thank you to all of the talented tanglers who sent in their inspiring work this week.  Thanks to those of you who followed at home - I know you'll send in your work some day :)

Thank you to the creative minds behind the challenge this week:

Sindy P for the fabulous photograph from her new book REAL LIFE STRINGS (Click here to view)
Pea-nuckle,
Pendrills, and
Pepper- Zentangle patterns
Peaks Border by Suzanne McNeill, CZT
Pegs by Arja de Lange-Huisman

Rhonda Koplin said it best when she wrote, "I know you're so proud of your student, turned book author!" I truly am - thank you for joining in the fun!

Stop back tomorrow for "It's a String Thing" #31 - it's a Lucky one!!



5 comments:

  1. Arrgh! I was so caught up in my idea, that I totally forgot we had to use certain tangles! It was sweet of you to post it anyway, but I wish I had followed directions - my kiddos at school would get a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tiles! I am so sorry I didn't get chance to finish mine this week - only managed to start it...I will finish it. It was a very interesting challenge and there have been some really great entries. Well done Sue.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of very interesting takes on this challenge! Congrats to Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing array! Favourites for me this week were Diana Schreur's - especially the way her Pendrills creep beyond the box! That deep colour that Amy Curtis used - like vines on old bricks. And Peggy Kohrmann's penguins made me smile - I always see penguins in Paradox!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a good one. Didn't have time to participate this time. Hopefully the next one. Love how everyone interprets the string differently. Beautiful works of art. 🐞

    ReplyDelete