Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pleasantly Surprised

Last Friday I worked up a step out based on an antique frame - click here to read that post.  

Today, I hoped to do the same with this picture for inspiration -


For whatever reason, my usual process did not co-operate.  Try as I may, it was just not my day to come up with a pleasing variation of this.  I sketched and sketched some more - added shading and still nothing I fashioned seemed to work.

Hoping there was some salvaging of my session, I cleared my desk of everything but a tile and a Micron.  What followed was a nice learning experience for me.

I began with an oval in the center of my tile.  With the photograph in mind but not within sight, I drew a reasonable likeness of the frame.  From there I added a background of Printemps.

That left an oval shaped center area.  At first I thought to do something bold like Knightsbrigde with a curvy line grid but my mind was on our newly named granddaughter and  so I filled the space with her initials.
I shaded and blended and here is the result -



This morning my initial intentions were to formulate a step out but I was pleasantly sidetracked.

A very gentle reminder that in Zentangle® the idea is not to have a preconceived notion of what you want your work to look like when it is finished.  You learn to 'go with the flow'.

After shelving my frustration, I did just that and very surprisingly ended up with a ZIA piece for my soon-to- be-born granddaughter - an unexpected treat!

5 comments:

  1. This will be one artistic grandbaby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could not possibly be more incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job. I think it's beautiful. And one day she will appreciate it as well I'm sure. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this is very beautiful Adele! And congratulations on the soon to be Grandma!

    ReplyDelete