Friday, March 28, 2014

Tangled Nightlight

If you've ever been to IKEA, you know that the bins and shelves near the check outs are always full of wonderful, albeit frivolous things.

I've taken to entering the store through the exit doors (shhh, don't tell anyone!), sliding through the check out lanes in the opposite direction and spending most of my shopping time perusing those sections for things to tangle.

One such unnecessary necessity was a cone shaped nightlight. It had a plastic top similar in feel to the plastic of a milk carton only much thicker.  A blank canvass!

My grandchildren immediately came to mind.  I bought several and brought them home to tangle.

Not sure if my Sukura Identi-Pen would work on the surface, I tested it out on an empty milk jug.  To my delight the pen took very well to the plastic.  It withstood my attempts to rub and scrape it off, so I knew it would work well on the light.

Here is my grandson, Xavier's light -

ZIA Nightlight by Adele Bruno, CZT
The shade was not detachable, so I had to tangle it as pictured.   I found that I had to work a bit slower and still did not have the best of control on my lines.  The lines that appear darker were retraced.

I trimmed the shade with my new pattern Xav  (since it is for the boy himself!) and added a few variations of Sandy Bartholomew's Sweed - simple and sweet.

The light is wonderfully designed because it turns on by pressing down on the top of the cone.  Once charged, it illuminates for about twenty hours.  Although my photo gives the light a greenish tint, it is actually has a pleasing yellowish cast to it.
ZIA Nightlight by Adele Bruno, CZT
And here is the best treat of all...the kids will think the lights are for them - and they are - but they are really a treat for me.  We live so very far away from each other and I know they will have another reminder of me when our visit is over ;)


























2 comments:

  1. Ok, these are the things you just wrote that make me want to always be with you...
    Entering ikea backwards !!! Wonderful, but frivolous things to tangle! And finally, unnecessary necessity! PERFECTLY understandable statements !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really are quite resourceful Adele! These are going to be treasured for sure!

    ReplyDelete