Monday, July 29, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #299 Tiles

Our string and tangles this week paid tribute to the fiftieth anniversary of the moon landing. 
Not only are the tiles illuminating, the memories shared are sweet reminders of its impact around the world.

The first tile arrived from Kathy Millard (British Columbia, Canada) ~
Great fun! The string and tangles really fit together for me. I had fun creating the night sky with our beautiful moon. I used tinted charcoals (one of my favourites) to shade and give a hint of the night sky.



From Sue Leslie, CZT (New Mexico) ~
Hard to believe it’s been 50 years since the ‘Man on the Moon’ adventure! My oh my, where the technology from all that has taken us and still evolving today. I can remember being excited about it as I was in my first year of college. Here is my tribute of earthly croon’s escaping to a moon cloud to evolve into celestial twirlies and who knows where they will go. Still an exciting time to be alive.


From Ginger (California) ~
In the midst of packing to move 765 miles away, I pulled out materials to do this week's challenge. I've missed a few weeks but will make them up In my journal.
Twinkies just made me think of little space aliens, so I gave them antennae, and had one "land".




From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
Again a wonderful challenge. A very nice way to spend the very hot days here in Holland.



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for ‘ It’s A String Thing #299’ Challenge.
 From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
It was pleasant to use Jody's new tangle in combination with the
cheerful Croon and Twirlies.
As you can see, Croon and Twirlies are starting on the bottom and are
flying between the empty spaces, created by the beautiful Zangler.
It is difficult to deliver a tile without colour, so again, I took my
coloured pencils and gellypens to finish.
I enjoyed this challenge very much.
It is just too hot in Belgium to go out, we have reached the highest
temperatures we ever had in Belgium, so it is better to stay at ease
inside and tangle... tonight and tomorrow they expect thunderstorms and
finally some rain!
Wish you all the best and especially now a wonderful weekend,
Cheers from Belgium




From Cheryl (Missouri) ~
Through the years, people have seen many changes in their lifetime through inventions, technology, sciences, and the list goes on and on. The tiles we will see this coming up week, celebrating the landing on the moon FIFTY years ago, has really brought back memories, provoked conversations, and excitement for what is next.
My personal challenge with this tile was to do it in a matter of hours instead of days, as usual. I'd used Croon a few weeks ago, while Twirlies and Zangler were new to me. This challenge also found me camping with my 8 month old pup for the first time AND I forgot my reading glasses.........still found the joy in it!      




From Karen Aicken (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
I managed to not only finish my tile, I’m getting it to you before the deadline! Zangler is going to be fun to play with and I just had to add a Doo Dah border.
Once again I traced a Zentangle tile in my sketchbook, and did the tangling with a blue/black PN Micron Pen. I added the gold gel pen details and I love the shimmer.



From Moblue (Bremen, Germany) ~
What a lovely combination you choose for this week. I do adore the work of Margaret Bremner and the Zangler from Jody Genovese is such an awesome pattern. Easy to draw but very lovely to look at. To add both with cute little Twirlies made it a perfect match for me. And here we are, the rising of the Croon.....
Happy tangling from Moblue out of a hot and sunny Germany.



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
What a nice way to mark the moon landing anniversary.





From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for this interesting challenge! You can find my tile on my blog under the link...
Best wishes from Germany



From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Enjoyed all the patterns. I decided to do Twirlies in a grid. We regularly watch Spacex videos. The latest resupply launch to the ISS was a couple of days ago. Their next step will be to send astronauts to the ISS and then finally (four years away) astronauts could once again land on the moon. Exciting times!



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) the creator of the lovely new Zanglers! ~
Thank you so much for your kind words and for choosing Zanglers as one of your tangles this week. It’s always such an honor to be included.
I’ve had so little time to participate, which is typical once the warm months hit. I look every week though. I had to make the time this week and I’m in amazing company with Margaret and Nancy.
I added a little extra with a partial ‘chorus’ by Tomas Padros. I had seen a tile that Alexandria Diaz (aka Artzy Fartzy) had done on Instagram where she made this pattern look like aliens and it was so cute I had to try it. So this may not be our moon…but it was such a fun tile.
Hope you are staying cool this summer, it’s been such weird weather this year for sure.
Sending warm (or cool) wishes your way and always many thanks for your hard work!


From Gill Green (Israel) ~
What a beautiful idea to use the moon landing as a string. I’d like to say I’m not old enough to remember it, but of course I do! It was exciting reliving the landing, especially being able to watch on HD screens.
These were all great tangles. Twirlies reminded me of the Jetsons, very appropriate. I also used Crescent moon, Shattuck and Printemps. Like everyone, very excited to see what’s in store for IAST 300!



From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Jody does come up with some great tangles. Zanglers is a fun one. Thanks for another fun challenge.



From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here’s my tile for IAST 299. This week I learned that I shouldn’t try to tangle just after trying the new coffee shop in town, my lines are all shaky. But fun anyway.


From Annette (Germany) ~
Here my moon, earth and stars ...
Greetings from Germany


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
… and the suspense builds … #300 is next!
The moon landing happened the summer between high school and college for me. As I remember, I was at work (on the campus switchboard) when the vessel landed, and I was at the Wesley Foundation (campus Methodist student center) for a retreat for the actual moon walk. Hard to believe it was 50 years ago. I am still astounded by a fact I heard on the PBS show about the landing, that the onboard computer had less computing power than one of our iPhones does.
I decided right away using Croon for the moon would be way too obvious. Then I realized — it’s not the moon, it’s the earth — so that was OK. I was kind of “meh” though, until I re-read Margaret’s instructions about blackening the background, which made it pop. I actually considered blackening the entire sky portion, but then when I was individualizing the Twirlies I colored in a couple of them, so (much to my relief — it would have been a lot of work) I couldn’t blacken the sky.
So excited to see what’s coming next! I am traveling — flying Thursday, driving Friday, cleaning and moving in on Saturday — but will definitely make #300 a priority!
Thank you and hope you are enjoying your family time!




From Lynn F. (Florida) ~
Here’s my tile for this week.
Outer space is crowded with all the rockets launching from Florida and a meteor is flying towards our planet.
These were three new tangles for me and I celebrated them with a black tile and colorful metallic pens.
I can’t wait to see all the other tiles.
Thanks for all you do, looking forward to 300!



From T. ~
I wasn’t alive during the Moon Landing. However, I’ve seen countless images of the event throughout my life, and it’s been interesting growing up and hearing the varied (conspiracy) theories about whether or not it happened.
I enjoyed this week’s challenge. Between the challenge theme and the string you gave us, I tried not to be too literal while drawing my tile, while still giving a nod to the Moon Landing.
For me, it’s always good to have at least one uncomplicated pattern included in the challenge, and in this challenge both Croon and Twirlies served that purpose. It was nice to work with Croon again so soon; and although Twirlies was new to me, it didn’t require much time to learn to draw it.
As a new pattern, Zanglers actually felt familiar. Drawing it brought the pattern Flux to mind.
I continue to use what has become my go-to IAST colour palette to brighten my tiles and this week I was inspired to add some metallic shine.
Thanks again for helping us connect with our creativity every week.



And this is my tile ~
I began with Zangler on the string line and followed by using Croon in a Nipa fashion by aura-ing Zangler.  One large Croon and a smattering of Twirlies in a dark sky, ample enthatching throughout, and I was one happy space cadet!
I smiled through this whole tile because I could not help but remember my fourth grade teacher, Sr. Amalia (May she rest in peace).  Her reaction was the opposite of what I had anticipated on a day my dad gave me permission to bring in a magazine that published the first photos of the moon's surface (black and white, of course).
Instead of sharing my enthusiasm, she voiced serious concern about the astronauts' future landings. 
     "How can they be certain that the surface is solid?" she wondered.  "What if it was made of quicksand or something like it and they sink in to it?"



Thank you one and all for sending in your inspiring tiles and notes.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles used this week ~

Zangler by Jody Genovese, CZT

Croon by Margaret Bremner, CZT

Twirlies by Nancy Newlin, CZT


Check back Tuesday afternoon for our own monumental "It's a String Thing" #300!

No comments:

Post a Comment