Monday, July 1, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #294 Tiles


Happy Monday!
Lou and I are just back from a truly remarkable trip - and the reason our IAST is just a bit off schedule.  This photo was taken the day we departed this beautiful country and its extraordinary history.  Can you guess where we were?
I will post our location as well as the story of how we met up with one of our very own IAST community members after the show of our #294 and #295 Tiles. (I know, I know, it's such a tease!)


IAST #294 focused on CZT Nadine Roller's sweet new tangle, Happy.
The birth of our new grandson, Ollie tied into the sentiments of this easy, fun, and fanciful pattern to draw.  Thank you all for the continued good wishes!


The first tile arrived from Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
First of all congratulations on your new grandson!
On my tile I have added " window grilles" and "Ahh".
 From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
Hello! I’m reading Brian’s new Dingbatz book so attempted to combine this week’s string and featured tangle Happy into a Dingbatz with a Yincut background, then added some Beadline embellishments to the outer edge.
NOTE:  Angie is referring to CZT Brian Crimmins' new book Zentangle Dingbatz - available here on Amazon.  It's awesome!


From Amy Lilien-Harper, CZT (Connecticut) ~
I have been super busy and not managed any of your prompts in a while, but boy was this a fun one to come back to! This tangle just made me happy. I tend to like organic tangles, and I found this one particularly forgiving. Even on ones that weren’t consistent, it didn’t matter. Since I used a renaissance tile, I wasn’t sure how I wanted to shade it. So, I did a little bijou with only 3 “happy”’s to experiment. Here are both tiles.



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Congratulations! On the safe arrival of your Grandson Adele, so sweet and very precious.
Attached is my tile for ‘It’s A String Thing # 294’ Challenge.
Not only a happy tangle but lots of fun to draw.
Thanks, Adele.


From Lisette CZT 32 (Switzerland) ~
Thank you for this beautiful challenge with Nadine Roller’s new pattern Happy. I combined it with Winflo, also by Nadine. I love her patterns.
Zen hugs


Ginger (California) ~
This pattern makes me feel happy and all I could think of was flowers in the sunshine. I'm headed off to CZT 34 training tomorrow so I wanted to get this into you. Flowers and sunshine and blue skies for everyone!

Wonderful news, Ginger!


From Karen Aicken (Alberta, Canada) ~
Thank you for another fun challenge and new-to-me tangle! I really enjoyed this string, as well. I traced a Zentangle tile into my sketchbook and did my tangling there. In addition to Happy, I added Maryhill, Fescu, Orbs and OneTwoThree. For some reason I can’t get onto my blog, so this one isn’t published there yet, but I wanted to get it off to you.


From Gudrun S. (Germany) ~
„HAPPY“ in a bouquet of good wishes for your new grandson
Best regards from Germany



From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
This was a relaxing and pleasant challenge for me.
I like organic patterns and Happy is a very cheerful one.
In the project pack 5 were special scissors included and for this tile I
used them. I have drawn with a black pen and added a little bit of
yellow tints.
I wish you and your family a wonderful summertime and enjoy beautiful
moments with the cute little Ollie!!!
Greetings from Belgium



From Lin H. (Florida) ~
I had a ‘happy’ time tangling Nadine Roller’s Happy tangle pattern. Thanks for your challenge, Adele, and hope you continue to enjoy your summer.



From Sharlie (New Jersey) ~
Thank you for the challenge. Attached is my submission for this week.
I used Inkscape software to create it. It is my attempt at simulating quilting. If anyone is interested in the long story about how and why I created it, he/she can refer to my website (Link) .
I used the following patterns: Crux, Ann, Printemps, Happy, and Floral.



From Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Please find attached my tile for this week. My first exploration of Happy. I kept to a monotangle and just used one of Nadine’s examples with the black background and varied it by using brown as well. A fun zen challenge, thank you!



From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
This was a very Happy challenge. It made me Happy to participate and you must be Happy with your newborn grandson. Congratulations with Ollie!



From Susie (Thailand) and here on her blog ~
Here my very pinkish "Happy" tile for IAST challenge #294.
Thank you again for your ongoing commitment. Long live IAST.
"Happy" greetings


From Vena C (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I decided to use 3 more of Nadine's tangles. So, apart from Happy I also used Saatin, Winflo and Hero. Again it was a bit of a rush but I got it done. I loved the framing that Joanne Fink did around your proud granny pic. Congratulations to their parents.



From Laurel Davis, CZT #28 (New York) ~
Happy was so much fun to draw! I added Margaret Bremner’s Beadline and used my Tombow markets for the color. Another wonderful challenge! Thanks, Adele.


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Hope this finds you well. Such a fun and truly ‘Happy’ tangle. Not surprised given its lovely creator.
Thank you as always.


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
I like organic patterns and so I combined your challenge with such patterns, because Happy looks like little flowers. You can see it on my blog under the link.
A nice weekend for you and your family and of course congratulations to your new grandson and all the best for his future.
Best wishes from Germany


From Moblue (Bremen, Germany) ~
My congratulations to you and a warm welcome to the newborn baby boy. There is nothing more fascinating and adorable than the arrival of a new life. May it be all joy for his blessed parents.
How well chosen this week’s pattern! HAPPY makes happy whilst tangling. I tried it on a tile pre-treated with watercolors and it turned out very nicely. I’m sure it won’t be the last time I have used this organic pattern.
Happy tangling from Moblue, Bremen, Germany


From Lynn F. (Florida) ~
Congratulations on your new grandson. I love the name Ollie! And the card your friend made for you is so special.
Here’s my tile for this challenge. I couldn’t decide on whether to do a black or white tile so I decided to use a piece of the white tile and glue it on the black tile.
Thanks for another fun challenge.


From Allison (California) ~
Here is my entry. Happy is a fun and easy going tangle.


From Annette Bode (Germany) ~
Here is my offering for this week’s challenge - HAPPY.
Greetings from Germany
P.S.:
Welcome Ollie and congratulations to grandma Adele!


 From Cheryl (Missouri) ~
Not always is Happy possible. Sometimes, it cannot even be intentional. Try as one might, creativity will come, but only thru tears.
Having not missed a challenge since I started, I gave this my best. I will enjoy seeing and reading all of the challenges this upcoming week.
Congratulations, Adele and family, on the new little blessing bestowed on you in the last few days! That has to be pure joy!! Congratulations again......


From Gabi (Germany) ~
Congrats to your little new grandson!
So HAPPY is a real good pattern for this IAST - flowery and easy. Chose a Renaissance Tile for having some more colour and liked the string very much - if you can find it :))
Enjoy the time with your family and thanks for bringing up new ideas every week.


From Kathy Millard (Prince George, British Columbia, Canada) ~
I'm glad this was a simple tangle and such a "happy" one. Flowers always make me feel happy. I just had to take timeout from my garden long enough to try this one.


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
...yesterday I had a play date with a friend (we did collages) and I was telling her about the challenge and how the somewhat linear string was difficult with such an organic tangle (sketching it out for her), and she immediately sketched a couple of linear variations, one with the scalloped edge and one with the lines and dots, neither of which had occurred to me.
So I sat down today to do the belated tile, intending to do linear variations, but then it dawned on me how to use the tangle in a way that pleased me. And I added a linear variation as background.
I’m planning to do the other one, also, but thought I’d better send this while I remembered what I was going to tell you about it!
Thank you!


From T. ~
It seems that June is the time for new life. I now have a new nephew who arrived a month earlier than expected.
Thankfully, after a short stay in the NICU he’s now doing well and was allowed to go home with his parents a week after his birth.
Happy was the perfect pattern for this challenge, since it’s how I’ve felt since my nephew arrived and for the happy coincidence that the pattern resembles wildflowers.
Thanks as always for organizing the challenges each week.
Congratulations on your new nephew!


This is my tile ~
I had so many plans for this before I started, but none of them worked their way into the tile.  After being away, it was so comforting to just simply tangle and see what appeared.  I added Iza for leaves.


Thank you one and all for your inspiring notes and tiles.
Many thanks to Nadine for sharing Happy with us.

The very next post will be the results of IAST #295 along with news of where Lou and I traveled and  who we got to meet along the way.  Be sure to check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment