Monday, October 1, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #262 Tiles

We fell for Fall this week as we tangled in the new season with Maria Thomas' Gourdgeous and Joan Stark's Wooooo!.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Maragarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~ 
it was not easy, to combine your given string with the two patterns of the week. Again I drew two versions. I send you the second tile. The first one you can find on my blog under the link
Thank you for this interesting challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
* tangles embellished with tangles
*a kite in the autumn breeze!


From Jocelyne Pigeon (Québec, Canada) ~
Here is my tile for your IAST #262
I had some difficulties with Gourdgeous, but it's ok anyway.
 Tangled Tidbits -
It is.
*wispy flourish repeats in Gourdeous and throughout
*delightfully detailed Wooooooo!


From Trudi Taylor (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Greetings Adele it's supposed to be Fall but it seems every other day summer keeps trying to stay. Our leaves are just barely starting to turn, very similar to last year. I'm not at all adverse to summer trying to hang around when winter comes I know it's not going to want to leave either!
Tangled Tidbits -
That is very true!
*lovely sparkle in Gourdgeous stripes
*Wooooooo! wraps around each Gourdgeous


From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
As usual a very interesting challenge. I made Wooooooo a bit close to the border but found it really enjoyable as it flows so nicely.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty lace-like Wooooooo!
*bold Gourdgeous


From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
Wooooooo! This string with these 2 tangles made for a challenging tile (to me)! Can’t wait to see the others!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*feathered sparkle
*Gourdgeous flows right into Wooooooo!


From Shriley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A String Thing # 262 Challenge.
Two great tangles, I enjoyed working with these.

Tangled Tidbits -
*pleasing balance of light and dark spaces
*weighted curls for Wooooooo!


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
may be a bit jealous of your warm weather. Up here in Washington state, we are starting to get freezes overnight and it really is a harvest season for us. We're hurrying to get everything ready before winter hits.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Brrrr!
*Wooooooo! incorporated into the border and string loops
*rounded and striped enhancements


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Here is my contribution to this week’s challenge using Wooooooo! and Gourdgeous. I also added some 3 Loop 6 because I missed last week and really like that tangle!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*happy mix of tangles blend beautifully
*striping in all three tangles


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Thanks for an interesting challenge. I find gourdgeous quite a difficult tangle to draw, and I am not entirely satisfied with my efforts. I look forward to seeing more expert renditions from other contributors. The infill is shiny gold, which doesn’t really show up on the scan.
Saying you missed your own deadline in your blog post made me chuckle :-)
Attachments area
Tangled Tidbits -
I am glad to know it gave you a laugh :)
*golden Gourdgeous
*two sizes and coloring of Wooooooo!


From Maike (Germany) ~
Here comes my contribution for IAST #262. It‘s an amazing combination of the two patterns you chose for us. I really liked it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderfully detailed Wooooooo! covered string line
*plump Gourdgeous


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
It’s a horrible mess - but somehow I like it (and have no time to draw a new one). I put watercolor on the wet tile and added black ink, but it was already too dry…
 Tangled Tidbits -
...and you created something beautiful with it.
*colorful Gourdgeous sprout from each string loop
*Wooooooo! covered string line


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Finally feels like autumn around here. Weather cooled off and windows are open!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*random pattern of dark and light spaces in Gourdgeous
*lovely use of white space and tangles


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
Woooooo is very lovely.
Gourdgeous is a challenging tangle, but surely fun.
I added snookum and a lot of orbs to fill.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a beautiful array of orbs
*highlighted Wooooooo! shines


From Allison (California) ~
This one took me a bit to get into. Then I remembered those pictures I have seen with gourds hanging of a green leafy tunnel and so I began. I had fun with the ribbons.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderfully intertwined tangles
*complimentary curvy spaces for Gourdgeous and Woooooo!


From Sue Leslie, CZT 22 (New Mexico) ~
This combo really baffled me for a few days! Finally started to play and it just led me to this fun stuff. Happy Fall to all here in the Northern Hemisphere and know you all in the southern are looking forward to spring. I’m ready for some snow and skiing which I know won’t be far off. Had our first frost this week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*feathered sparkle in Gourdgeous striping
*ribbons of detailed Woooooo!


From Ulrike (Germany) ~
Dear Adele, thank you for this nice challenge. I had a lot of fun, so I send you my version II.
Best regards from Germany.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Bijou blends in with pretty Gourdgeous
*mirrored light and dark spaces for Wooooooo!


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
Thank you so much for such a wonderful autumnal challenge!
Since I found 2 pictures in one tile...
pumpkins being lifted and carried away...
and hot-air balloons flying high with wooooo ribbons ...
...I decided to send both.
Wish you all a lovely and sunny autumnal week!

 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful imagery, wending, winding lines
*wispy sparkle lines


From Ute Andresen (East Frisia, Germany) ~
...here is my tile for It’s a String Thing #262. This was really fun. Gourdgeous and I haven’t been introduced to one another yet. :-) … And that’s funny too, because I do like pumpkins and gourds (learned the word when I read Maria’s description for the step outs) so much…. In the kitchen this time of the year is my favorite, cooking with pumpkins three or four times a week. First I thought „This is not my tangle“ I am not sure why. Maybe because of the black parts, but then … after a while a smile passed over my face … it was this typical Zentangle-thing. Everytime fascinating and joyful. Concentration, relaxation, happiness. I really liked drawing these little organic things (they could also be onions). And then the ribbons. As you can see, I almost ignored the stringline but in fact it was helpful for drawing Wooooooo. The wave lines touch or cross the string.
Thanks a lot.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Ahhh, thank you for that colorful description, Ute.
*happy row of Gourdgeous
*wafting Wooooooo!


From Jane Goddard (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Autumn here in the south east of the UK is starting to set in, the trees are glowing with gorgeous colours and the sun is still shining warm and bright. Thanks for this autumnal challenge, I used watercolour brush pens to layer on the colours and white gellyroll for the highlights.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful in both word and tangle
*dotted highlights make the tangles glow


From Gudrun (Germany) ~
it's Saturday and I'll bring my contribution with Gordgeous and Wooooooo! on the way to Florida
Best regards from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
- along with a tangled pumpkin!
*tangles radiate from a common point
*softly penciled Tipple background


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I wanted to do something with a yellow wash. I'd had a small pad of watercolour paper for a very long time so I decided to use that and put an acrylic ink wash on it. But, when I started filling in with the pen, little bits of paper came up so I didn't get a smooth line. In retrospect it felt a bit like blotting paper. The coloured pencils saved the day and so all was not lost. A medley of gourds and ribbons! I enjoyed Sue's story of where she tangles. I love the pics taken at her grandfather's cottage.
Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, Sue's photos and stories were wonderful. (Click here to see them if you missed last Friday's post.)
*elegant Gourdgeous lines
*fabulous sparkle and highlights


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I really love the tangle gourdgeous, but it’s one I struggle with. This made me practice it a lot. I’m starting to get the hang of it I think.
Wooooooo! was a lot of fun! As always thank you so much. Hope you are enjoying the start of Fall.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulously shaped Gourdgeous
*dark tangles layered over lighter ones - striking!


From Ria Matheussen, CZT ( Belgium) ~
A lovely challenge for this time of the year. I like the Halloween theme!
I have turned the tile upside down and started to drawn pumpkins (I
changed a bit the tangle Gourdgeous.)
This was fun, thank you very much.
Warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*marvelous morphing of Gourdgeous into pumpkin shapes
*just a touch of Woooooo! along with little accents of it along the border


From Anselm (Germany) and here on his blog ~
I hope that i'm not to late to participate in your IAST 262. I needed some time to think about the string and Wooooooo! Finally i chose to put Wooooooo! into the background and fill the loops of the string with Phicops.
The tile is posted at my blog...
Greetings from Berlin
 Tangled Tidbits -
*ribbon-like Woooooo!
*Phicops filled string loops float in the white space


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
I think the extended summer heat is frying my brain.
I used the string to determine where I would use Gordgeous but they look more like onions.
Somehow Leeter and Tipple worked their way into the scene surrounding Wooooo!
Here’s to cooler temperatures in the near future.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Here, here!
*colorful Gourdgeous and aura
*two version of Wooooooo!


From Karen Buse (California) ~
When inspiration hit I used the materials at hand: a felt-tip pen and a piece of scrap paper that had printing on the back. I did Helen Williams' (A Little Lime) version of Gourdgeous.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*swirling lines blend both tangles beautifully
*darkened spaces between the tangles add depth


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Thanks for another challenging challenge. Gourdgeous is my nemesis for sure.
 Tangled Tidbits -
It does not show here.
*wide, dark striping with highlighted sparkle - yummy!
*wispy Woooooo!


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I was really sorry not to participate last week! I enjoyed both tangles but got stuck in "refuse and excuse" (OMG what a wonderful description of the IAST process — I thought I was the ONLY one who went through those steps) and had a busy weekend and didn't get it done.

So I was determined to do a tile this week AND to use Hexonu, because in playing with it I'd discovered the framework for my old friend Bucky (original Zentangle) if you draw the lines in the hexagon from the midpoints of the sides rather than the corners.

I enjoy Gourdgeous, because it really looks like a gourd, but in a way it's too literal, kind of like Bronx Cheer and Verdigogh are literal (although last summer while trying to sketch a balsam bough my Verdigogh experience came in handy). So I tried to think of an alternative and came up with a Chinese lantern, which it doesn't really look like but you have to use your imagination. I reversed the dark and light so light could come out of the openings, and I changed the string a little so the lanterns could all hang the same direction, and so there was more "real estate" for Wooooooo. I'd intended to shade the string to pull it away from the Bucky background but then why did I go to the trouble to keep a little eensy white space around the string. Also I'd planned to try Bucky in pencil as well as pen but after doing one version I decided that was enough fun for this week!
Thanks for keeping this enterprise going! You're so conscientious about making positive comments on each tile!
 Tangled Tidbits -
I feel like I tangled this right along with you.  Thank you for that journey!
*Gourdgeous lanterns shine layered over a field of Bucky
*sparkled ribbons of Wooooooo!
(Jenny Hopkins' description of IAST Sue refers to in her first paragraph can be viewed at this link.)


From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
I loved this challenge. I've been wanting to do gourdgeous for some time. Woooo! Was a lot of fun.
Tangled Tidbits -
*dotted dark spaces add texture
*Wooooooo! shaded with color


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Fall is in the air! Last week it was in the upper 90's, today in the 70's. So lovely! Love the challenge, too. Gourdgeous is one of my favorites, and Woooo is a great addition. I added Pokeleaf and Aura-Lee in the corners. Happy October to everyone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fall color palate of tangles
*highlighted tangles with touches of white


From Sra (India) and here on her blog ~
First, many congratulations on the lustrum anniversary. I am glad to be part of the IAST community and your appreciative tiles featuring our names, over the years. That is a very warm gesture, made richer by the trouble you took to put in everybody's name. I look forward to the challenges every week. IAST is my favourite Zentangle event.
Here's my tile for this week. I loved Gourdgeous and used to be obsessed with it in my early Zentangle days a couple of years ago. You can read more on my blog post...
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Sra.
*trio of striped and sparkled Gourdgeous
*Wooooooo! loop shaded inward


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Fall hasn’t set in yet in New England ... but this prompt certainly sends out the invitation for a change of season. I had to add an over-abundance of Mooka, my comfort tangle ... it was that kind of week.
Cheers to two stunning tangles that compliment each other so kindly. May the world follow suit!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Amen to that.
*soft shading, weighted lines make Mooka a perfect compliment
*large, dark Gourdgeous contrasts beautifully with the lighter detailed background tangles


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Wooooooo! this week’s challenge was “gourdgeous”. Thank you very much. I employed watercolour pencils and a little glitter jelly roll pens. Unfortunately, the shine is not very visible on the scan. Thanks to Maria Thomas and Joan Stark for their amazing patterns.
Have a peaceful week

Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely layered Gourdgeous, complete with color and sparkle
*tightly curled, very detailed, Wooooooo!


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Hi there! Hope I am not too late with my entry for IAST 262. I found a nice sketchbook when I was in Stockholm with my oldest Granddaugheter (4 year). Hahnenmühle-paper. More in my blog...

Tangled Tidbits -
So happy you had some Grandmother time :)
*Wooooooo! flows from Gourdgeous
*large spaces of white highlight the layered tangles


Thank you all for your glorious tributes to Fall.

Many thanks to Maria Thomas and Joan Stark for their lovely tangles.


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #263!























1 comment: