Tuesday, October 23, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #265 Tiles


Halloween is fast approaching and we've spent the last week with Candy Corn, better known as Cannie Corns, on our minds as we tangled away. 
We used a string with three triangular, overlapping shapes along with some very fun tangles.
Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Simone (Germany) ~
here is my tile. It was fun to shade it darker and darker.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Bales throughout with a variety of finishes to the inner spaces
*pretty shading gradations


From Susie (Thailand) ~
My Bales may be drawn a bit liberal, but I certainly had 'Bales' in mind while drawing this recycled toilet roll tile.
Thanks for this wonderful challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
Now that is a good way to recycle!
*stark contrast in Bales with white sparkles
*gorgeous color


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Here my entry for IAST #265. Unfortunately I've neglected Bales. It is such a beautiful and versatile pattern - thank you, Adele, for bringing it back to my mind. My tile looks a bit "stony" and not really scrumptious and candy corn like.
Tangled Tidbits -
*two detail filled versions of Bales
*shading adds dimension, borders, and accents white space


From Ute Andresen (East Frisia, Germany) ~
...here comes something sweet for the Cannie Corn Challenge.
I’m waiting for the day, when I can try these sweets myself.
But even if I’m not able to taste them I like the colors they have.
It was fun to shade with thin layers of coloured pencil.
Tangled Tidbits -
*colors show up beautifully on Renaissance with white Gelly Roll pen
*Printemps layers
This looks good enough to eat - you made your own Cannie Corns 😉


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
My sweet entry this week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Printemps corners complete with sparkle
*Bales used along the string lines and Ahh as aura


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
I always love your candy corn challenge and look forward to it each year. :) Your tangled houses are delightful and I love the collection of candy corn photos.
Here's my tile for this week's challenge. It doesn't look very candy corn-ish, but it was fun to use the collection of tangles you selected.

Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Lori.
*elegant, elongated Bales with dotted centers
*shaded Ahh makes a beautiful filler


From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
Many thanks for another great challenge. I have not seen corn candy here in New Zealand. We are certainly getting a lot more Halloween merchandise here now, so maybe the candy will be here soon.

Tangled Tidbits -
I hope you do, too!
*yummy colors and tangles
*Ahh works from top and bottom inward


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
So much to celebrate! Congratulations to Ada, Isabella and your wonderful new ebook!
Holiday greetings from the North Sea!
Thank you, Jutta!
Tangled Tidbits -
*feathery sparkle
*weighted lines of Printemps and a straight lined Ahh - wonderful!


From Antony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
Thanks for this challenge, very inspiring! I really loved doing the Printemps.
Spirals make me think of the basic life energy and I love sweets too.
Tangled Tidbits -
Energy and sweets - that's a good combination!
*Printemps layers pop with shading
*different tangles and for each string section from light to deep black


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Loved this challenge! This is “Ode to Cannie Corn”
Tangled Tidbits -
It certainly is!
*happy combination of Candy Corn colors, tangles, and white space
*detailed shading of Ahh gives it a very dimensional look


From Anselm Peter (Berlin, Germany) and here on his blog ~
this is my tile for your IAST #265.
In the beginning i wasn't quite happy with Bales, because i tried it once and did not like it. But i simply drew the string and put Bales into. And filled it and shaded it and finally fell in love with it. Thank you for this beautiful challenge, Adele.
You can find the tile on my blog...
Tangled Tidbits -
So very happy you like Bales now - you will find many uses for it.
*lovely lines, light and dark contrasts
*rows of eye catching Ahh


From Trudi Taylor (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Greetings Adele! I do so love candy corn, we don't have candy corn flavoured marshmallows in our area they sound incredible. I have some very stale candy corn in my cupboard but since I use in a recipe it doesn't really matter much, fresh they seem to want to be in my mouth! We used to play spooky music, have dry ice fog and have a graveyard on the way to our porch where a coffin lid would rise when we opened our door. Loved Halloween, but now we live out in the country and no little goblins come to call. After two years of buying candy and having to eat it ourselves we finally stopped :(
Have a wonderful fall.
You really knew how to celebrate!
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles drawn in Candy Corn colors - how fun!
*tangles alternate in color and position



From Joanne (New Brunswick, Canada) ~
Really struggled with this one...I'm still learning to work with strings. But that's why I joined this group, for the challenge ;)
Really appreciate what you do for we zentangle lovers.
You are doing great!  Strings just suggest where to tangle - the options are limitless and all yours.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Printemps accented by dark background
*softly shaded Bales finished with light and bolder dots


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Even though I don’t share your enthusiasm for candy corn, this was a fun project! I always approach your weekly challenge as a problem to be solved. How can I get these patterns to work together? How do I possibly get them into that string? Sometimes it comes out okay, other times, not so much.

Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous, colorful stripes in Bales
*weighted lines accent the tangles


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
it was not easy for me to combine your given string and patterns. But here is my tile, which also can be seen on my blog under the link .
Thank you for this interesting challenge.
Best wishes from Germany

Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles seem to rise and finish with Ahh dots - great movement
*wonderful variation in tangle sizes


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
No special pens or paper this week, but I still enjoyed using the patterns.
Tangled Tidbits -
Always special when its tangled 😊
*multiple Bales variations
*Ahh shaded on the squiggly lines


From Vena C (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Bales is relaxing to do. I decided to do the candy canes in colour in the background. I am still not comfortable wth printemp so I put in only a little patch of it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous idea for coloring (I'm getting hungry, anyone else?!!)
*Bales shines with detail - bold black spaces, light aura, soft shading...


From Gudrun S. (Germany) ~
thanks for this nice challenge
and greetings from Germany


That is a gorgeous gourd!
*Printemps border and larger, weighted lined ones in the string sections
*multi colored, festive tangles


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
You’ve caused my confidence to somersault once again this week. How amazingly your Tickletotangle blog brings us, from all over the world into a creative family unit in so many ways. Such a commendable effort from you throughout every week with challenges, new publications, memorable details from other participants and words of Wisdom on Wednesdays. Thank you.
This week “Cannie Corns” are back and even had me buckling down earlier to using these old favourites by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. Bales and Printemps were the first 2 tangle patterns that I learnt at Marizaan vd Beek’s workshop hosted by my friend, Susan Theron here and attended in 2014! Wow! Almost five years ago. They often make another appearance as they do this week. Tile 265 has an “unmcannie” face peering out at me. Printemp and Msst facial features like lips and wavy hair perhaps. “Cannie corn Bales for the head’s shape.
Ohhh, I see that Halloween creature!
Thank you for the sweet words - and the tile for last week's Words of Wisdom.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded curves of Ahh add life to that tangle
*color, shading, fine details - fabulous!


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Sorry I missed last week but I wanted to wish you a very big CONGRATULATIONS on baby Ada and a Happy 20th Birthday to Isabella.
So many milestones..what fun.
Keeping it simple this week. I had a bleeding tissue paper stained tile in just the right colors. I always crave candy corn this time of year..now I will have to go get some!
See you in a couple of weeks!! Can’t wait.

Thank you for the congratulations for my October girls 💛
We will celebrate at zenAgain!
Tangled Tidbits -
*brilliant Bales spider webs and critters
*Printemps flowing into Ahh - all wrapped up in color and shading and highlight - oh MY!


From Nadina (Germany) ~
here is my new picture for you.
Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*Ahh flows from aura-ed Printemps - trails off into little dots
*Bales grid covers the tile and pops into view between string spaces


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
cheers to your cannie corn tradition!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Printemps looks edible! - lovely movement in size
*Printemps/Ahh combination and a beautiful Bales variation


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
The Halloween spirit is upon us. The tiles from last week were so inspiring.
It’s so nice to welcome the new participants from around the world!
I borrowed the pattern from your Spooktacular house roof. I purchased the book and am gathering my supplies. I even bought the pens that glow under a black light. Now I guess I’ll need to buy a black light to enjoy the effect. ️
Here is my tile for this week’s challenge.
I am so happy to know you purchased the book.  Have fun with your new supplies!
Tangled Tidbits -
*yummy colors
*shaded Bales in the overlapping string spaces


From Ria Matheussen (Belgium) ~
Here in Belgium it is already evening and time to go inside after one of
the last beautiful sunny days. Soon the weather will change: colder,
rainy and windy... real autumn!
That is also why I have drawn this pretty challenge on a Renaissance tile
and used popular colours of Halloween: black, yellow and orange.
I enjoyed this special challenge very much and it is always a joy to see
your wonderful presentation of all entries.
Warm regards from Belgium
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles glow in color, highlight, and shading against the Renaissance tile
*scrumptious little Cannie Corns
(Now, I'm really hungry!)


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for the week!
I've been busy but somehow I had to make time for the challenge this week as I like all the tangles. I really love the abstract nature of Zentangle but couldn't help fancying that the Msst looked like rain, the Printemps like clouds, and as I was typing this mail, it struck me that the candy corn shape looked like two hillocks.
Congrats on the birth of one more grandchild, and best wishes to your newly minted 20 year old!
Thank you, Sra!
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely imagery and tangles - can smell the rain
*larger, tapering dots for Ahh


From Maike (Germany) ~
here is my tile for IAST 265. I liked the idea of Halloween and corn!
Tangled Tidbits -
*vibrant Ahh angled to the center and shaded around the border
*deep black touches for each tangle


From Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Love the colourful corn candies, such a great string and tangle choice too. I chose to go for #weightedprintemps and added #verve!!

Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous, thickly weighted Printemps
*tipple and enthatching details for Bales
Fun, fun, coloring

From Ulrike (Germany) ~
Here are my Candy Corns for IAST #265. Again I enjoyed tangling your challenge. Thank you very much for all the time you spend [on] us, Adele.
Best regards from Germany.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura, Tipple, and Fescu finishes
*beautiful tangles and variations alternate sections


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Here is my contribution for this week’s challenge. I’m not sure whether we have candy corn in the UK. I had not heard of it before anyway. I have interlocked the shapes to make them slightly Celtic.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Ahh drops from intertwining doubled string lines
*lovely layering of tangles and shades


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Cannie Corn! It wouldn't October at IAST without Cannie Corn, would it?! Love using original Zentangles, so I added Crazy Huggins and Indy-rella. It might have gotten a bit busy, but it was very calming to do. Thanks, Adele!
You are so right!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Indy-rella is a curvy compliment to Ahh
*Bales details alternate in direction


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*color washes over the entire tile and accents the tangles
*multiple lines and shading for Bales


From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
Finished this at a minute before midnight, so hope it’s not too late! I went to the National Theatre in Washington, D.C., earlier today and saw Beetlejuice The Musical. It was pretty funny - just know that this is an ADULT show. Anyhoo...of course I had to add the tangle Btl Joos with the Printemps, Bales, Msst, and Purk.

Thank you for that 'heads up'.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Btl Joos adds whimsy
*larger dots at Primtemps centers and shaded overlapping


From Lynn G (Florida) ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*tiny Cannie Corns tucked into Bales - wonderful touch of color
*sparkled Printemps and shaded Ahh


Now, my tummy is rumbling!  Thank you all for another colorful, creative Cannie Corns IAST adventure.

Many thanks to Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas for their treasured tangles:  Bales, Msst, and Primtemps.


Check back later today for "It's a String Thing" #266!









1 comment:

  1. Amazing tiles again, as usual! I especially enjoyed seeing how different people shaded Printemps. So three-dimensional!

    ReplyDelete