Monday, November 19, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #267 Tiles

For this challenge we revisited the classic "z" shaped string and tangles that most of us were introduced to for our very first tile.  Preparing to attend zenAgain put me in a nostalgic mood and it struck a cord with many tanglers here.

While I had a fabulous time at zenAgain, I returned home with a terrible flu (is there any other kind?!).   Among other things, it pushed my blogging time back a few weeks.  Thankfully, my energy has returned and I thank you in advance for your patience waiting to view these results as well as IAST #268 and #269.  They will be posted very soon.  

Below are tiles from The Netherlands, Canada, Germany, Russia, Sweden, Belgium, Thailand, South Africa, India, United Kingdom, and all across the United States.  Isn't that incredible?

Let's take a look at the wonderful tiles for IAST #267 ~

The first one arrived from Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
Again a lovely challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkle and shading add lots of depth
*lovely touch of blue


 From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
Hello! I am submitting 2 tiles this week because I was having fun playing with the Z String. The second tile turned into a monotangle of crescent moon - and I’m ok with that :)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Rain flows into Static
*Crescent Moon and Pokeroot share aura
 *four variations of Crescent Moon and wonderful aura


From Joanne (New Brunswick, Canada) ~
I always look forward to Tuesdays for the weekly challenge :)
Here is #267...such fun to use some of the tangles I first learned in an introductory class I took a couple of years ago in Arizona.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*light and dark tangles and white space in between
*layers of aura-ed Crescent Moon


From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
Thank you for this really relaxing challenge. I hope you had a lovely time.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Static emerges from the string line
*bold Crescent Moon and lighter Pokeroot


From Maike (Dresden, Germany) ~
loved this weekly challenge a lot! My string with pokeroot turned out like the „Z“ standing for Zentangle. I really like how it turned out. Thank you for the string and the pattern.
Greetings from Dresden in Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Pokeroot Z pops with shading
*tapering corner tangles add dimension


A very warm welcome to Eva (Tomsk, Siberia (Russia) ~
Hello Adele!
My name is Eva i live in Tomsk, it's in Siberia (Russia). And it's winter here right now with first snowman we built with kids on our yard :)
That is my first time i take a part at any projects. Crescent Moon and Static are not favourite patterns. So i decided to take them a chance and i like the result and i love the process.
Thank you for this challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Pokeroot lines flow from Static
*Paradox popped into Static

I am continuously amazed at how we are brought together from all over the world by our appreciation of Zentangle. Welcome to you, Eva, and welcome to our Tangled Map!


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
It was fun and very relaxing to fill again the empty spaces of the first
string I ever drew!
I just love the" golden oldies": Pokeroot, Static and especially
Crescent Moon.
My tile is made on grey paper and beside a lot of black/white parts, I
added a little colour with ordinary colourpencils;
Thanks Adele for a wonderful challenge that gave me happy memories...
Warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Static mimics Crescent Moon
*color, shading, and sparkle make Pokeroot glow


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
Really enjoyed your Back to Basics challenge this week.
Have a lovely and inspiring time in Providence!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*deep black spaces for floating Pokeroot
*tapered aura of Crescent Moon overlaps, curves, and merges


From Barbara (Texas) ~
...I enjoyed going back to the basics of the Zentangle method with this challenge. I struggle with making Crescent Moon look good, but I think I did OK with this one by following what other people have done.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely Crescent Moon and aura
*sparkled, darkened lines for Static


From Hilary (Chicago, Illinois) ~
I hope you’re having a good time in Rhode Island, can’t wait to here about your weekend.
Here’s my entry for this week. I had trouble deciding how to use Pokeroot with the others, so I put it into the border.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*- a very colorful Pokeroot border!
*beautiful variations of Crescent Moon and Static


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
again I enjoyed your last challenge very much. My favorite of the patterns was Pokeroot. I send you my first version of the challenge, a second one you can see on my blog under the link
Thank you very much for this interesting challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles flow from the doubled string line
*Hollibaugh layered stems of Pokeroot


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Can’t wait to hear about ZenAgain!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Pokeroot filled Crescent Moon spaces - gorgeous depth created with darkened spaces
*deeply shaded Static


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
I was going to use some color, but in remembering my basics decided to actually stick to the basics. Reminded me of my first class with CZT Robin Tucker
Thank you for the challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*flowery Crescent Moon variation
*shading of Static - and all tangles - adds softness and depth


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Straight line tangles are not my favourite. In retrospect I should have done static with shorter lines. Your string looked like the start of static so I decided to use it as the background on the whole tile. I don't really like the end result but I did enjoy doing pokeroot which I hadn't used much.
Tangled Tidbits -
 *shading, sparkle, striping - wonderful details
*glorious red, sparkled Pokeroot


From Gabi (Germany) ~
After some busy weeks found some time to participate again IAST.
Nice idea to use these patterns. Started without having any plan and was surprised by the result. Uuups, forgot about the border....
Tangled Tidbits -
Don't you love to be surprised by the wonderful results?
*one large Crescent Moon rising
*Pokeroot layered string layered over bold Static


From Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
This was a wonderful back to basics challenge, although I’ve not tried static before, I will definitely use it again. I used grey watercolour brush pen to shade.
Enjoy Zenagain, do let us know how it was!
Tangled Tidbits -
*darkened aura for both Crescent Moon and Static
*wavy lined Pokeroot


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
I hope you have a wonderful time at zenAgain.
Here’s my tile for this week’s challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple filled Pokeroot spaces
*line width variation in Static


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Missed the last two weeks. Sick as a dog, round of antibiotics, steroids and inhaler made everything all better. I took black and white tile and cut into 4 pieces and taped together. Used Ricks idea for crescent moon from package #1 video. His a lot better of course!! Had a good time with this one.
Tangled Tidbits -
So glad you are feeling better!
*highlighted Crescent Moon layers
*light and dark Pokeroot versions


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
This tile wasn’t completed until I added some colour!
Enjoy your Zen Again reunion!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*awesome alternating layers of Static and Crescent Moon
*colorful Pokeroot finished with aura


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
I really enjoyed last week’s spooky tiles.
This week it was fun to return to some of the first tangles I ever learned. Pokeroot was an early favourite, and the one that really made me fall in love with this way of drawing.
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted and detail lines for Pokeroot
*dots and dashes finish Static and Crescent Moon


From Anita A Westin, CZT (Dalarna, Sweden)
Hello Adele! I am still in the US, staying a couple more days after finishing CZT32! It was overwhelming to become a CZT and being a part of the Zentangle community! This week’s challenge from you was like it was meant to be!
Tangled Tidbits -
CONGRATULATIONS on becoming a CZT, Anita!
*divided black and white for Crescent Moon
*one large Static formed by the string space


From Antony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
I added a couple of rows of lights to the drawing on the occasion of Diwali, a feast celebrating the victory of light over darkness.

On this festive day of Diwali may the light of love spread all around and warm the hearts of mankind.
Tangled Tidbits -
*bold, alternating white and black Crescent Moon
*soft shading throughout


From Sra (India) ~
Here’s my entry for the week. Thank you for the round up earlier this week, I couldn’t put in my usual thank you note.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed Crescent Moon layers
*touch of shading adds depth to Static


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
After two weeks of missing out on "classic Zentangle originals" (it's just been a busy time) I was determined to finish a tile this week. I do love the original tangles, and I especially loved this original string!
Pokeroot has never been my favorite mostly because I always like other people's better than mine — but this time I was pleased with it. For Crescent Moon I used a couple of tangles that are based on a Crescent Moon-type start. One of them you may particularly recognize LOL (the other is Footlites, Carole Ohl). I'd never done Static before, and earlier in the week tried more adventurous versions of it...
I hope you had/are having a wonderful time at ZenAgain! I'm sure we'll all benefit from the tips and techniques and enthusiasm you will have gained at your "reunion"!


Tangled Tidbits - 
Yes, I spy Citrus :)
*fine lined Static has great movement
*field of pretty Pokeroot shaded on the overlaps



From Sue Leslie, CZT (New Mexico) ~
Thanks for an interesting play with a classic string and tangles. Fun to get back to basics from time to time. And as this is Thankful month, so thankful for all you do for those of us addicted to Zentangle. Have a blessed November.

Tangled Tidbits -
It is a shared addiction :)
*wavy lined Static
*fine line finishes for Crescent Moon aura


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Let's hear it for the big Z string! So nice to work with original Maria-and-Rick tangles. I added Mooka and perfs. Enjoy yourself at zenAgain 2018, Adele. I know you'll bring back lots of good ideas! And Happy November, everyone!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*perf accented string line
*balance of bold and light 


From Susie (Thailand) ~
Thanks once more for a weekly challenge, I kept it small this time and drew on a green Post-It tile.
Cheers from Thailand and I wish you much enjoyment at this year's ZenAgain gathering.
Tangled Tidbits -
*love the weighted line as Static lines drop
*single Pokeroot shares Static lines


From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*layers of Crescent Moon - aura and shading add great depth
*large and small perky Pokeroot

From Katharina (Germany) and here on her blog ~
this is my picture for this wonderful relaxing challenge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*Static variations in every nook and cranny
*Crescent Moon in varied sizes and aura


From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
A little late I know but it's been such a long while since I've had time to complete any of your challenges I thought I'd send it anyway!
With good wishes
Tangled Tidbits -
*light centers of Crescent Moon
*plump Pokeroot clusters


From Felicity Stohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*contrasting dark and light Printemps
*wonderfully embellished Static


From Cyndee Pelley, CZT #32 (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Hello Adele and greetings from Oklahoma!
I'm so excited to finally have a tile to share and it's my first as a new CZT! Attending CZT 32 training was an incredible adventure and this was the perfect challenge to get me rolling again! Thank you for always having the perfect challenge at the right time!
 Tangled Tidbits -
CONGRATULATIONS Cyndee and welcome to the CZT family!
*long reaching Crescent Moon lines 
*curvy Static


Many thanks to Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas for the beloved tangles
Static, Crescent Moon, and Pokeroot.

Thank you all for the happy wishes for my time at zenAgain.  Look for more posts about it over the next few weeks.  

Check back Tuesday afternoon for IAST #270!



1 comment: