Monday, November 26, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #268 Tiles

For this IAST we concentrated on just one tangle - Paradox.  While the same string was used by everyone, the results - in true Zentangle fashion - are all so different.  

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Greetings from the Maldives!
Tropical rain so not so sunny today, but perfect opportunity to tangle. I love drawing Paradox but I always draw too fast and looks messy so thought I’d round the shapes, they now resemble exotic palm fronds and what I think looks like elephants camouflaged in the jungle! The string is in there somewhere! Always a fun twist with your challenges.
Sounds like you all had a wonderful time at ZenAgain, cannot wait to read all about it!
Tangled Tidbit -
Your vacation sounds heavenly!
*rounded corners, and darkened spaces accentuate the tangle's movement


From Antony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
here's my drawing. I love paradox! Many thanks for another enjoyable challenge.
Tangled Tidbit -
*wonderful contrast between the small black triangles and the larger white ones

And again, Antony wrote ~
here's a completely different style for the IAST 268 compared to the one I sent some time ago.
*fabulous composition



From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
Paradox is one of my favorites and I love it just the way it is. I used three different brown pencils and a brown pen for shading. It was very "zen" to do:)
Tangled Tidbit -
*crisp lines in beautiful browns


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for this interesting challenge. Paradox is a pattern I often use because I like it very much. It is wonderful in black and white, but this challenge I draw on a watercolored background to give it a friendly sunny touch. You can find my tile also on my blog under the link.
Tangled Tidbits -
*happy mix of tangles flank Paradox


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Sadly, it seems all to often that we are praying for families struck by the tragedy of a mass shooting. This time, it is much closer to home for us. And now, just a day later, we are watching fires raging in the same area. We are out of harm's way, but the sky is black with smoke. I wish I had a happier message to accompany this week's challenge, but I just can't muster one up today.
I do hope you enjoyed your time at the reunion.
Tangled Tidbit -
So very glad to know you were out of harm's way, so sorry for the sad events.  I do hope your hummingbirds were not effected by the fires.
*wonderful combination of light and dark, thick and thin lines


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
I decided to use the rainbow colors in this tile.
And I look forward to reading about your zen-again visit!
Tangled Tidbit -
*bright, colorful Paradox
Once I am caught up on posting the tiles, I will write more about zenAgain :)


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Greetings! Paradox has long been a favourite tangle, so thank you for this challenge. I tried a little Paradox Reversed in one section.
Tangled Tidbit -
*pretty purple background and bold Paradox


From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
I love Paradox. After a long stressful week it was most welcome.
Tangled Tidbit -
*long, lean lines look very soothing to tangle



From Sharon Fite (California) ~
I'm submitting a little early (for me!), Adele. It's wedding weekend for our younger son, and we couldn't be happier. Thank you for selecting Paradox--a few minutes of non-wedding thoughts! The fan shape that occurs reminds me of ginko leaves. This time of year they all turn a buttery yellow, staying on tree until a magical voice tells them all to fall, leaving a beautiful circle of leaves at the base of the tree. Hoping everyone is enjoying autumn!

Tangled Tidbit -
*delightful Ginko leaf reference
Congratulations on the family wedding!


From Amy L (Connecticut) ~
I love paradox and I like the way it comes out black on white. I tend to make them go the same direction, so I tried to mix it up in this tile. So here it is.
Tangled Tidbit -
*highlights add a glow to Paradox


From Gabi (Germany) ~
I’m sure I started with the suggested string and PARADOX... but at some point it got its own will and ended up with this. I love tangling and the ways it goes.
Tangled Tidbit -
Don't you just love when that happens?
*gorgeous rounding, deep shading, and dark spaces


From Hilary (Chicago, Illinois) ~
I hope you’re trip went well and that you’re now back in warm, sunny Florida.
I hope anyone who has trouble with Paradox will read your Tips for Tangling article. I still remember the moment when I finally understood what to do based on your great explanation.
I had a lot of fun with this one! Somewhere I came across the idea to make the spaces wide enough to fill them in with other tangles. I enjoyed finding 20 patterns suitable for this job.
Tangled Tidbit -
Thank you, Hilary!
*grand collection of tangles fill Paradox - love that idea


From Barbara (Texas) ~
Paradox monotangle. I wasn’t sure if we were supposed to only use Paradox or add other tangles (I’m still new to IAST). I did this on an apprentice tile.
Tangled Tidbits -
*striping and sparkle, large and small Paradox - you did a great job!


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I like making regular shapes with Paradox. This turned into a poppy for Remembrance Sunday this weekend.
Tangled Tidbit -
*a lovely Paradox poppy!


From Joanne (New Brunswick, Canada) ~
Our first snowfall today...3 or so inches...great day to tangle!
Although I prefer more organic and less angular tangles, this turned out to be fun...although just before sending it I just had to add a few flux & fescus to add organic ;)
Tangled Tidbits -
*Fescu and Flux compliment the curves of Paradox
Stay warm up there!


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Thank you again for including me in your travel plans when you (and Lou) headed north for zenAgain. It was truly a thrill to finally me you. IAST is my weekly destination visit with friends around the world ... you bring the friendship to us all and I thank you!!
I’m sending my I love paradox tile, on a renaissance tile, black ink, a little graphite, white charcoal pencil and blue dressmaker’s chalk.
Cheers to a whirlwind traveler!
Tangled Tidbit -
It was so good to meet you, too!  I'll post our picture soon :)
*long, elegant lines with lovely shading and touch of highlight


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
I hope you have had a wonderful time at Zenagain and I am a bit jealous
that I couldn' t join...anyway I'm sure it was great and we knew already
Molly's new tangle that was presented there!
For this challenge, I turned my tile upside down and divided some spaces
in a few more triangles. Than I started to tangle and to colour with
ordinary colourpencils. To finish I have glued my smaller tile on a
bigger black one.
Rick's Paradox is a lovely pattern that I use regularly and perfect for a
monotile.
Thank you very much for this special challenge and wish you all the best,
Warm regards from Belgium
Tangle Tidbit -
*large Paradox tipped with sparkled black perfs seems to twist out off the tile
Attachments area
From Maike (Germany) ~
this is my tile for IAST 268. While drawing I completely lost my focus on #paradox and ended up in #flux again (one of my favorites)\
Tangled Tidbit -
How fun that you followed the tangles!
*pops of Paradox flow into multiple tangles


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Meeting Paradox is always fun.
The longer the lines I draw, the more wobbly they become.
That's why I drew a lot of extra lines in the given string.

Tangled Tidbit -
*bold shading at points adds wonderful depth


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
Since we were working with one tangle I decided to challenge myself by using a Renaissance tile. I felt like Alice in Wonderland as Paradox was leading me down a rabbit hole! I had to take a break and figure out where I wanted the challenge to take me.
I really like how it turned out. Thanks for another fun project.
Tangled Tidbit -
That is a wonderful metaphor.
*metallic touches, white striping and darkened aura show well on Renaissance


From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
It's been a very long time since I sent something in to you. I have still been tangling on occasion but with 2 little boys running around in the house, there's not a lot of time for hobbies!
So here's my tile for this week's challenge. Hopefully I'll be able to get some future challenges in as well.
Tangled Tidbit -
I would say they are your hobbies :) - so glad you found time to tangle!
*thin and wide spacing and Tipple filled spaces - wonderful depth


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
This pattern requires a lot of concentration. I was interrupted a lot and ended up rushing and losing that zen feeling. I hope it is not too late.
Tangled Tidbit -
*wonderfully filled string spaces, pretty blend of black and brown


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Here is Paradox for IAST #268. Sometimes, you have to know when to quit.. and I’m still learning that valuable lesson!
Tangled Tidbit -
...and that is totally up to your mood, wouldn't you say?
*bold, highlighted accent lines tip Paradox


From Sue Leslie, CZT (New Mexico) ~
One of my very favorite tangles! Thanks for a fun new string to try it in. Always amazed how paradox always turns out. Here’s wishing every one in the US a very happy Veterans Day weekend. Being married to a veteran, it’s always special to me and to all you vets out there, thank you for your service.

Well said, thank you Sue.
*tremendous twists and turns accented with shading


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT 28 (Kingston, New York) ~
Hope this is not too late...I was out all day and forgot to send this..
I just want to say what a pleasure it was to meet Adele Bruno at Zenagain. A lovely sweet humble woman who is a joy.
It makes this group that much more special to me..
Thanks Adele, I am so glad I got to meet you.
Here is my take on this weeks project.
The string is in there somewhere with some embellishments of glitter pens! I enjoyed doing this tile still on a high from Zenagain!Have a blessed week everyone!
My goodness, it was my pleasure to meet YOU!  Your smile lit up the room, just as I imagined it would :)
Tangled Tidbit -
*colorful striping and weighted lines make Paradox pop


From Jane Rhea, CZT (Indiana) ~
Paradox is usually a challenge for me because my lines are sometimes wonky, and I’m never sure whether to turn my tile clockwise or counterclockwise. Today I let go and just got lost in the lines. This tile is the result. Blessings to all who participate in IAST, and especially to you, Adele, because you are a constant source of encouragement and inspiration!
Tangled Tidbit -
...and blessings to you, Jane.
*tight line spacing and striping add great dimension


From Lisette, CZT 32 (Switzerland) ~
If I’m too late with my contribution - never mind. Things are a bit out off kilter…
It was good tangling Paradox. To me it’s a healer.
Tangled Tidbit -
...and that is a wonderful thought.
*pink perfs are very pretty additions



From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
The Flying Dutchman - so many stories about this mysterious ghost ship have been told for centuries.
Fantastic monotangle challenge... thank you, Adele. This has really inspired my imagination.
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark, densely lined - like an illustration in a classic

From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Attached my contributions. For the coloured one I used the string as given, but I had trouble with the shading and therefore I coloured each shape. For the second tile I used the string as given, but divided the string sections into smaller triangles.
Tangled Tidbit -
*rounded corners, fabulous colors

*marvelous multiples of Paradox, each with rounded corners


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Love paradox-ONE of my all time favorites!
I hope all of our California tangle friends are safe and not in the fire zone. Thinking of you all.
Tangled Tidbit -
*awesome angled finishes for each Paradox section made bolder with thicker black spaces


From Rhonda Koplin, CZT (Georgia) ~
It was such a treat to meet you at ZenAgain! I did this one on the plane and, in spite of turbulence, it turned out OK.
Tangled Tidbit -
So happy to have met you, too.  I can still hear your beautiful southern, soothing drawl :)
I find, too, that tangling on flights is very soothing.
*soft shading of Paradox extends around the border


From Simone (Germany) ~
I was in autumn holiday with my little daughter. Now I am much to late for your weekly challenge. Just for fun I send you my picture. I love paradox and I am sure, that I will make more versions of this.
Thank you for your wonderful challenge.
I can´t wait, what you will have for use tomorrow.
Tangled Tidbits -
I am the one running behind on these posts, so you are right on time!
*wonderful white spaces and Paradox filled ones


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Organizing functions got in the way of my promise to myself to keep up each week. So here is a very late Tile 268, the Paradox challenge?
Paradox makes me nervous, but every time I try it I learn so much. Enjoyed it!
Happy Thanksgiving week.
 Tangled Tidbit -
Your nervousness doesn't show!
*striping, Crescent Moon, perfs and a pop of blue - great fun.




This is my tile.  The flu kept me from tangling for too many days and when I finally picked up a Micron, I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge.  I divided the string into smaller and smaller sections as I tangled, totally loosing any sense of the given string - a wonderfully relaxing time!



Thank you all for being so loyal in sending in your tiles and so patient waiting to see them posted.
Hats off to Rick Roberts for the ever so enjoyable tangle, Paradox.

Check back tomorrow for IAST #271 as well as more IAST results!

No comments:

Post a Comment