Monday, August 6, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #254 Tiles

 This week we used two tangles that flowed off the pen along with an unusual string.
If you look carefully as you admire the tiles, you just may find a few Bijou, a lady bug, and a Winnie the Pooh!

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Anselm Peter (Berlin, Germany) and here on his blog ~
thank you for your great challenges. Here is my tile. I took both patterns and added Checkerstar.
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful shading and drop shadow
*sparkled Barquillos


From LynnG (Florida) ~
Fun challenge Adele, thanks.
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkling green gems in the string loops
*rounded corners in Tofube grid


From Trudi Taylor (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Greetings Adele, thank you for such a restful challenge. I found it very soothing doing the Barquillos, a new Tangle for me.
Tangled Tidbits -
*large grid and detailed Barquillos
*purple, puffy Tofube


From Sherry Conte (Sandford, Florida) ~
I'm not very good at drawing Tofube but, I did my best.
Tangled Tidbits -
*just right Tofube
*vertical and angled grids for Barquillos


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my tile for ‘ It’s A String Thing #254’ Challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*rolls and tucks and beautiful shading of Tofube
*Barquillos follows the string curve


From Lily (Hungary) ~
Dear Adele, here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Zenhug
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful weighted curves, color, and shading in Barquillos variations
*softness of Tofube curls


From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
We're having some unusually hot weather here in the UK so it's been good to be able to sit in the shade for a while and work on this week's challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed string line filled with Barquillos
*uniformly shaped Tofube


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Two tangles I have never done before. Didn't really like either too much. Trying to come up with a design was the challenge. My total lack of inspiration meant it had to be simple.
Tangled Tidbits -
*...simple and elegant! - arrow tipped Tofube
*highlights and shading add wonderful dimension


From Lin H., CZT 28 (Florida) ~
Happy August to you, Adele! Summer is flying by, isn’t it?! It’s been nice tangling inside on some of our hot afternoons. I really liked CZT Damy’s tangle Tofube. Barquillos seemed to fit right in with your string and my watercolored tile, too. Thanks much for another fun challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Barquillos filled string loop
*Tofube conforms to string space


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
Hi Adele and all,
Missed a couple but back for now..This was a fun challenge and good practice for my line work.
Used one of my own colored background tiles, and added botie and striping to the tangles .
Hope everyone is well!
Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely addition of tangles
*weighted center lines of Tofube


From Dani (Indonesia) and here on her blog ~
This is for challenge #254. I enjoy barquillos very much.
Thank you.
Tangled Tidbits -
*softly shaded Tofube
*uniform Barquillos lines


From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
...Without you putting up the challenges each week I would probably not see the new tangles, so I appreciate what you do very much. Thank you.
Tangled Tidbits -
*small grid of Barquillos contrasts well with larger Tofube
*multiple and singe Tofube in the string loops


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
My entry to IAST #254. Thank you, Adele, for those patterns. Both were new to me. I found the string quite challenging and look forward what all the others created.
Big hugs from still hot and dry Switzerland
Tangled Tidbits -
*bold black and white spaces and tangles
*roundness of Tofube complimented by Printemps and perfs


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
at first, I was not very pleased with the two suggested patterns, but then I made two drawings, both are quite interesting. Now I can’t decide which of them to choose, so I send you both. You can find them on my blog under the link... It is always amazing what you can draw from patterns that you would not have chosen yourself.
By trying out new patterns we learn a lot from you. Thank you for your commitment, the time you spend on the challenges and your wonderful ideas.
Thank you for the interesting challenge.

...and thank you for your beautiful work :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*delightfully detailed tangles
*Barquillos variations used as fillers - an idea to remember!


A very warm welcome to Barbara (Texas) ~
Just this week I finally met with a CZT (Victoria McMillen) who lives close to my home. She encouraged me to follow your blog, and this is my first ISAT, #254. I really loved learning Barquillos – it’s so relaxing!
Thanks!
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines for single Tofube
*lovely tangle additions (I'm partial to 'O'!)
Thank you and thank Victoria for referring you here.  Welcome to our IAST community and welcome to our tangled map, Barbara!




From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Here is my tile #254 for this week.
With much much love and have a blessed week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*circular, square, and triangular Tofube - so fun to view all together
*weighted string line


From Gudrun S. (Germnay) and here on flickr ~
thanks for your nice challenge.
since weeks it is very hot - 35 to 37 ° C and at night up to 25 ° C - you can hardly sleep properly. So it is not easy to draw - the head is a bit overwhelmed ....... but I enjoyed it.
Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*rounded Barquillos in the string loop along with free floating ones
*Tofube filled string loop emphasized with weighted lines
Wishing you cool breezes!


From Jane Goddard (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Please find attached my submission for this week's challenge.
I drew a whole zendala filled with tofube once and thoroughly enjoyed the process so great to draw it again. The whole challenge looked to me like a pile of blankets so I added stitching to hold it all together!

Tangled Tidbits -
*stitching - what a wonderful addition
*bold Tofube and lighter Barquillos - thank you for the idea to fill a tile with it, Jane.


A very warm welcome to Karin Godyns, CZT (Belgium) ~
Please find enclosed my participation for the IAST #254
Tangled Tidbits -
*larger string space left white accents tangles
*beautiful shading adds roundness

 Welcome to our IAST community and to our Tangled Map, Karin !



From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
Lately I’m into wonky grids. They’re so forgiving! Thanks for another great challenge. Hope you’re enjoying family time.
*wonky grid/wonderful tangles!
*weighted curves of both tangles


From Gabi (Germany) ~
What a great pattern Tofube is! I was surprised what was happening when I started shaping. And I also was surprised by the little snail suddenly appeared out of nowhere...
Tangled Tidbits -
He's cute!
*deeply shaded Barquillos
*multiple Tofube shapes


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my entry for IAST.
I don't like this at all! It looked much better when I practised it. I was tempted to do a new tile but really didn't have the energy to do one. The only thing I congratulate myself for in this tile is the aura and darkening of the Barquillos.
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful Barquillos variation
*soft shading and multiple shapes of Tofube



From Cathy C. ~
Perfect day to tangle - rainy and messy! In fact I could use a few of those "tofube" pillows and take me a long nap!
Tangled Tidbits -
That is such a good idea, they do look inviting as pillows.
*Barquillos flows along the string loop
*checkered Tofube and Barquillos grid


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Not sure I have the hang of either of the two patterns featured this week, but I did enjoy working with them. My resulting tile seems to resemble of a Phoenix rising from the ashes. Appropriate, I suppose, as here in CA we are praying for everyone currently under siege from the many fires raging. Some of my own family members are under mandatory evacuation, so it has hit particularly close to home. We could use a little rain to assist our first responders, for sure.
Prayers are coming your way.
Tangled Tidbits -
*highlights give dimension to Barquillos
*triangular inner lines for Tofube


From Lynn F (Florida) ~
I had a great time learning these tangles. When I was done I took a closer look at the small Tofube in the upper right-hand corner and it reminded me of Winnie the Pooh! So I had to add ears, eyebrows, red for the mouth and a gold background.
There he is!
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted Barquillos curves
*Tofube filled string loops


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Not sure who I was channeling with this one..
I’m learning how to use Pan Pastels and I think I got a little carried away. Two great tangles though.
I hope you are having a wonderful time with your grandchildren.

Tangled Tidbits -
I spy Bijou...
*tight lines of Barquillos and wispy accent lines
*pastels lend great dimension


From Maria B (Canada) and on instagram ~
Nice to be able to relax with doodling again. I found this an especially tricky for me starting string! I know they are only suggestions, but it can be fun to embrace a tricky setup sometimes and I often have trouble with the looping ones. Also, I rewarded myself with some nicer pencils for shading and wow, I can see the difference already with tofube
Tangled Tidbits - 
*doubled string line finished in light and dark details 
*soft shading


From Dee (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) ~
Thanks for yet another great challenge! I struggled with the pairing but they are both great patterns I will definitely be using again.
Tangled Tidbits -
*three fun variations of Tofube
*dense curve of Barquillos


From Sue Leslie (New Mexico) ~
Interesting challenge. Finished it earlier today and wasn’t sure about it. Came back later and added a little more shading and rounding and then it was good. Thanks for the weekly challenges. I’ll be out of the country to a trip to Nova Scotia the next couple of weeks so see what zentanlge ideas I find on this trip. Will be fun. I love to travel and find new ideas. Have a great August everyone! Hopefully I’ll be back on the weekly challenge in September

Tangled Tidbits -
Safe travels!
*two angles for Barquillos grid adds depth
*large Tofube add contrast


From Sharon Fite (Clafornia) ~
An easy, breezy tile on a very warm day. I added Pepper and Rixty to the two challenge tangles. Thanks, Adele, for another fun challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Barquillos and Tofube conform to tapering grid
*fun mix of tangles


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
I loved that these patterns in this week’s challenge were so inviting to be minimalistic. Thank you!
Tangled Tidbits -
*deep shading, fabulous white space
*round and sharply angled finishes


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Well, this proved to be a bit more of challenge for me than I'd hoped. TOFUBE was fun, an easy flowing pattern, a mite of mindful pen-zen. BARQUILLOS, on the other hand, gave my synapses and drawing skills a workout. Even when I drew my examples exactly as Maria did, I couldn't see them as accomplishing the same effect.
I know I should cut myself some slack. I am still rebuilding some right brain connections from a series of slight strokes I had at the end of last year, and some of my brain/eye/hand coordination isn't up to snuff yet. Very frustrating though, but it does give me new appreciation in accomplishing things which I used to take for granted. I'm blessed and I know it.
So anyway, I found BARQUILLOS shapes that worked for me, though the triangular one might be even more difficult but it made "sense" to me. Go figure. One thing hasn't changed. I still find myself wondering if I could have pushed my creativity a step farther. Not a bad thing, really, if I can stifle my critical voice long enough to value the ultimate goal of striving to be the best I can be.
My husband says I've still got it, but then he has to say things like that; I wrote it into our vows.
Ahh, it is so good to have you back, Marla.  Continued healing and blessings to you.
Tangled Tidbits -
*mirrored Barquillo
*round and triangular Tofube - dark surround and a touch of white space



From Tina K (Germany) ~
Thank's for the nice string.
Here ist my tile for IAST #254.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a Tofube lady bug in an Abeko blossom - brilliant!
*tapered Barquillo grids


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
I wish I had left the three rounded areas off. I almost filled them in with black after I took the picture, but that have been a BIG disaster!
Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted Barquillo curves
*softly shaded Tofube


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Loved the tangle combo for this week’s prompt!!
Cheers!
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled Barquillos background complete with weighted lines
*string line filled with three shapes of Tofube



From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and on her Purple Butterfly~
...here's my tile for IAST #254. I really like all the variations for Barquillos.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*three Barquillos variations
*rounded Tofube features deep,dark spaces and shading


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Here’s my contribution for this week. This was a challenge with two new- to- me fascinating zentangle patterns, Tofube by Mei Hua Teng and Barquillos by Maria Tovar. Thank you for a compatible string. I enjoyed the tangle journey that just seemed to flow.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*inner weighted lines of Tofube flow with the spirals
*looped Barquillos darkened around grid lines


Many thanks to the talented tanglers for sending in their tiles for us to enjoy and learn from.

Special thanks to the creators of the tangles we enjoyed this week ~


Tofube by  CZT Damy (Mei Hua) Teng

Barquillos by CZT Maria Tovar

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #255!

No comments:

Post a Comment