Monday, July 2, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #249 Tiles

This week we concentrated on the tangles Abeko and Diva Dance as our tribute to Laura Harms, CZT, the first to issue weekly challenges.  

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Lynn G (Florida) ~
Being I forgot to post last weeks challenge, I am sending this before I forget again.  I really enjoyed the tangles, however my Rock n’ roll doesn’t compare to Laurel’s.



From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
Very cold weather here at the moment. Ideal tangling weather. I really enjoyed these tangles although my rock n roll looks more like a rose.
Many thanks


A very warm welcome to Yvonne (Germany) and she posted here on her blog as well ~
for several years have I now followed your challenge and I've really been wanting to tangle a tile or two - however, life somehow always got into the way: The week suddenly was already over (how that could have happened so often is a mystery to me!), the tangles and/or string posed some kind of a problem or some other crazy thing happened. But not this time! Honoring the Diva was a great kick in the.. you-know-what ;-) and I immediately sat down and just did it in one very enjoyable go. I'd seen Abeko many times before but this is my first time tangling it. Thanks a lot for one more inspiring challenge! Now I'm in, I'm especially looking forward to seeing all the other entries, although it will be Wednesday by the time the tiles will be up here in Berlin, Germany due to the different time zones.
It's really impressive for how long the IAST Challenge has been going and I hope there'll be many more to come. Thank you for taking the time each week tu put up the challenge and the post with all the entries in it - each time it's a treat to watch!
I already posted about the challenge on my blog and although not many people show up there I do hope at least one of them decides to enter this week's challenge who otherwise wouldn't have.
Kind regards and many good wishes from Germany
 Welcome to our IAST community and welcome to our Tangled Map!




From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
I don’t know why the one section in the middle looks blurry, something with camera I guess. I used little tendrils like Rick Roberts did in video recently.

From CZT Ria Matheussen (Belgium) ~
I just loved this uncomplicated string with two wonderful versatile tangles.
Thank you for this beautiful challenge. I enjoyed making this tile very much.
Warm regards from Belgium

From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
thank you once more for this wonderful challenge. The pattern in the upper right corner is “Icantoo” (tangelation from Icanthis, created by Hanny Waldburger).


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
this week I nearly drew a duotangle with your two given patterns. Some little leafes decorate Abeco. I send you my coloured version, a second you can find on my blog under the link...
Thank you again for your time you spend for your challenges! We all love your ideas and enjoy tangling for your challenges very much!
Best wishes from Germany


From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
Greetings, Adele! Thanks for your latest challenge. My tile became the inside cover to a Coptic-bound book I recently made thanks to Beckah Krahula’s instructions in her book “Tangle Journey.” The chapter in her book is on Midtones working on gray and tan and when I saw your challenge I knew I wanted to use a gray page in my booklet—my first tangled page in it. So thanks Adele and Beckah, too!




From Hilary (Chicago) ~
It’s funny how things work out. I've been a bit under the weather this week, so Diva Dance and my wobbly hands went well together. Of course it did make me feel even dizzier as I went along.
I wanted to try the Sprong (??) variation of Diva Rock and Roll, and that led to how I incorporated Abeko .
Thanks again. I always appreciate all you do.



From Laruel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
Thank you for the nice shout out last week! I’ve always been a fan of Diva Dance, but after becoming reacquainted with the Rock ‘n Roll version, I have a new favorite! And I will be adding Abeko to that list. Great challenge, Adele, and I really liked the string!


From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
It took me awhile to get Diva Dance Rock and Roll down. I had a lot of fun with the variations of Abeko.


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
...Two new Tangles for me, I enjoyed both of them.
I’m running a bit late, hope this reaches you in time.
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A String Thing #249’ Challenge.


From Angie Gittles, CZT 29 (Maryland) ~
I decided to go with the duotangle of Abeko (new to me) and Diva Dance Rock n Roll, and leave it at that. I tried something new for me by leaving so much white space. It reminds me of a 3-strand necklace.


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
My inspiration came from Julie Bazuzi IAST 157. I loved her ribbons. I tried using a few different fillers. I find it challenging to find filler patterns that work. I think that the more I practice and learn what patterns are out there, there seem to be hundreds, the easier it will get. Have a nice week.


From Simone (Germany via Denmark) ~
I send you many greetings from the northern top of Denmark, the sandy beach of the North Sea coast, where the sun is shining 18hours per day!
I spend here a very relaxing time and have beautiful tangling hours for myself (while my mates are watching the FIFA World Cup ⚽️)...
Attached please find my contribution to your IAST challenge, I drew on ecodyed Fabriano paper...Lovely string, cool tangles!




From Sra (India) ~
Here's my tile for IAST 249.
Have a good week!


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
I actually had a little extra time this week to spend on 'artsy stuff', so I managed to get two different tiles done. Hope you don't mind the overload :-)
Hope your 4th is spectacular!



From Ingird (The Netherlands) ~
Just my tile # 249 for this week,
.............but with lots of hugs and kisses.



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I didn't think I'd finish this in time. Since we waited for it so long I'm not going to complain about the heat but it puts me to sleep when I go out so I barely woke up in time to complete this challenge. Tomorrow is July 1st Canada day and Wednesday is the 4th so I have both flags out on my pencil evergreen tree to celebrate. Happy summer holidays to everyone.


From Jane Goddard, CZT (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Although I missed a couple of IASTs in the last two weeks, I'm so pleased to say that there was a good reason. I had the greatest pleasure of attending CZT30 seminar in Providence and am now a CZT! It was wonderful to meet Maria, Rick, Molly and Martha, as well as all the fabulous new CZTs. Back to earth now and enjoying your challenges once again.



From Juliane Lopes (Florida) ~
Here's my entry for IAST#249. I've been playing with Diva Dance myself recently so the challenge really appealed to me. I know typically there's not supposed to be a top or bottom or right side up for zentangle tiles, which is good; in this case, I like the tile best when held with the original string upside down.
Thanks for highlighting my zenbutton on your blog.


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Hello from Oklahoma!
You've given me yet 2 more tangles to add to my friend list! I knew Diva Dance but only just learned the Rock and Roll version, so it was great to practice abit! I've never tried Abeko but will be adding it to my list as well. I look forward to seeing all the wonderful entries!


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
It feels like it has been a life time since I’ve had a chance to send in a tile. A couple of times I have started and didn’t have time to finish. I’m afraid my yard is my boss this time of year and makes me work over time! It’s all good, but I miss my tangle time. I look at the posts every week so you are never far from my thoughts.
Thank you as always for all you do. Wishing you all the best.

From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Thanks for sharing your zen buttons class tiles, Adele. Such a fun option with endless variations! And a good challenge this week! I'm not completely confident with Diva Dance, but I'm getting there. Abeko is charming as well, and a tangle I will use again. Happy 4th for those who celebrate!


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her blog ~
Hope all is well with you and yours. The summer heat seems to be affecting practically everyone. But this, too, shall pass, eventually.
Here's my tile for challenge #249:
Perhaps not my best effort, but not terrible, either.
Can also be seen on my blog...


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
...This was a delightful challenge, full of roundness. Very graceful and easy going!

From Gabi (Germany) ~
Maybe too late to present my dark pond of DIVA DANCE.
Tried several tiles with some other more lovely and flowery results... but that’s not the style I like to do. So here a “darker” version.

From Lily (Hungary) ~
...here is my tile for your weekly challenge.Zenhug:


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
I do love both Abeko and the Diva Dance in all it´s shapes! Thank´s Adele for such a joyable challenge. Here it is in my blog too..


Thank you all for your beautiful tiles and your sweet notes that keep me inspired and motivated.
(Tangled Tidbits will return next week.)
Huge thank yous to CZT Laura Harms for the idea of tangled weekly challenges, to CZT Lynn Mead for Abeko, and to Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas for the delightful Diva Dance and its variations.


Tomorrow marks the 250th "It's a String Thing".  If I didn't know any better, I would assume the Independence Day fireworks were meant for us!  Be sure to check back Tuesday afternoon and join in the celebration.


2 comments:

  1. What a truly beautiful selection of tiles this week. I was wide eyed with awe over each and every one.

    I didn't find time to tangle a tile myself, but I got almost as much pleasure browsing through these and I will put this challenge on my to-do list because it's clearly a magical combination of tangles and string!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the round-up, Adele! - Sra

    ReplyDelete