Tuesday, May 1, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #240 Tiles

Happy Monday to you!

This week we concentrated on "floating" single Cubine sections, a technique suggested by CZT Margaret Bremner on her latest post.  (Click here to view.)
We paired Cubine with one curved and one angled pattern and a straight lined string.

Let's take a look ~

Wait!  Just before we look at these, Sandra Strait wrote a nice piece on "Tangled Fairy Gardens" last week - click here to view it.  A huge thank you to Sandra and to our very happy customers, Dorian and I appreciate the enthusiastic response.

OK - onto the show ~

The first tile arrived from Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
What a fun challenge. Elirob is new to me and turned out to be a very interesting pattern to play with.
Congrats also on the new book you and Dorian created. So very creative and fun.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Lori.
*large black and white Elirob swirls
*deliciously deep shadows and shading


From Lily (Hungary) and on Instagram ~
...I really enjoy your weekly challenge, thank you for it! Here is my tile.
ZenHug:
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous Cubine variations, one large Flukes with Cubine insert
*darkened Elirob spaces, added aura, and array of dotted embellishments


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Thanks, Adele, for this wonderful challenge, so much to enjoy about this one.
I tangled ‘Flukes’ on a wonky grid and added an extra line, had fun with ‘Elirob’ and ‘Cubine’
And Margaret’s ‘Floating Cubine’ is fantastic...
Congratulations on the new book ‘Fairy Garden Houses’ looks very sweet.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Shirley!
*wavy grids, wonderful shading
*bold Elirob layered above Cubine


From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
It seamed so easy this challenge, but that was a bit dissapointing in practice
I also did not realise that flukes look so much like cubine.
After a few attempts this is my result for this week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted lines and tight spirals of Elirob
*Cubine hugs the string lines



From Juul (France) ~
Chère Adèle
Here is my tile for this week
Je t’embrasse
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Cubine floats in deep black spaces
*two grids, two variations of Cubine


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
I was completely at a loss with this challenge. I didn't like my first version, it looks so unhappy and the second version is overloaded. Therefore I'm attaching both versions. I'm really curious what the other tiles turned out.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful variations and directions of Flukes
*bold Elirob tipped with Cubine
*great comparison to the first tile - similar tangles with less background Flukes.  Both beautiful tiles.


From CZT Jutta Gladnigg (NRW, Germany) ~
So fun diving out of the blue into the blue…
Thank you, Adele, for this ‚cool‘ challenge!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*radiating Elirob detail lines - lovely shades of blue
*floating Cubine vary in size and direction


A very warm welcome to Heather Bones (Pennsylvania) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*Cubine grid flows from a single point
*Flukes sections shaded in outer arua-ed lines
( I must note that I have known Heather since she was a little girl (sigh).  Her mom is CZT Judy Wanner - a dear friend and someone I credit with so much of my exploration into all things creative over the years.)
How wonderful to welcome you to our IAST community Heather - and to our Tangled Map - it brings a tear to my eyes.


From Di (Western Australia) ~
Here's this week's tile. I had trouble getting my head and hand around Elirob, so I practiced that one till I got it. Flukes and Cubine were also new to me (most are) but more straightforward. I liked the "windows to the stars" that Margaret Bremner described in her cubine tutorial, and thought "if you can look out into the starry night, why not have something look in?" That's when the idea of an alien taking a peep popped into my head. I think it's kinda cute so I named my tile Little Green Men :).
Hope you have a fabulous week and thanks again for a great challenge

Tangled Tidbits - 
What fun!  I love the idea that something/one can look in.
*great depth in Cubine's tapering grid
*aura-ed arcs of Elirob


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Wow, I was surprised by the wonderful work of Margaret's way of drawing Cubine. It is awesome how she brings magic on her tiles!
I kept it more simply and chose for an uncomplicated tile with these tree beautiful tangles.
I'm always looking forward to your challenges. Sometimes there are easy, sometimes difficult but always interesting and it is a great pleasure to join, to learn and to come out of the comfortzone.
Next week I' ll go for a vacation in Switzerland, so I can't join for a few weeks. Of course, I will miss the weekly challenges... but I'm going to see the Matterhorn, one of the most famous mountains in the world...and I love that.
Thank you Adele for these special challenge and I will be back soon.
Warm regards from Belgium
Tangled Tidbits -
Have a wonderful time!
*curved Cubine grid, lined shaded sides
*one lovely Elirob curl and mountains of Flukes :)


From Judy Wanner, CZT (Pennsylvania) ~
Ahhhh, IAST feels like going home! ... Huge thanks for all you do, Adele.
Anxious to show all my Zen Hens your new Fairy House book on Sunday! Everybody needs one.
PS: Trying to embrace white space.
Tangled Tidbits -
(Judy dubbed her tangle group Zen Hens - surely they need an honorary member☺)
*spherical Cubine, wonderful depth
*dark, sparkled Elirob


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*neat rows of Cubine
*curved grid for Flukes


From Lin H., CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for the challenge, Adele. All the tips provided were so inspiring and helpful!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely light Elirob flows into Cubine
*Diva Dance adds frilly look to Elirob


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I wasn't too sure how this would turn out but it just flowed along and was fun. Thanks so much Adele.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Don't you love when that happens?
*Flukes/Cubine combination - love that depth
*swatch of purple for Elirob


From Maragarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
the combination of your string and the given patterns this week were a really challenge. I enjoyed playing with this topic very much. I send you my third version, the first two you can find on my blog...
Thank you very much for this very interesting challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*two large Elirob filled with Cubine - how exciting!
*Flukes and Elirob peek out from the the larger, center Elirob


From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
I am also self-taught in tangling. Are there any 'official' courses in the UK? It would be great to be able to go on one. Here is my offering for this week - photographed rather than scanned, so sorry for poor quality.
Tangled Tidbits -
Here is the direct link on zentangle.com for the CZTs listed in the UK. Perhaps a few are offering classes.  Yes, that would be great if you could find one.
*alternating directions for Fluke makes a pretty border
*layered Elirob - nice touch to add shading


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
I typically choose rounder lines and flowing movements. This was such a departure from the norm - loved all the square corners and straight lines!!
Flukes seemed to naturally morph into Cubine, then Elirob peels off from the side vertical string line along with one backwards Elirob emerging from the lower right corner.
This was indeed a challenge. Love stepping out of the box.
The only color accent is a touch of red in the double lined string and a portion of the frame!!
This was great - thanks Adele!!!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous Cubine/Flukes grid and penciled grid
*weighted lines, large and small spaces for aura of Elirob



From Susie (Thailand) ~
Thanks for this week's challenge. I love Flukes, it is simple but very design effective. Cubine is one of those tangles that gives every tile the depth we so want to achieve. But Elirob is the tangle that surprised me. I would never have chosen it, NEVER!, but a) it suits the other 2 tangles perfectly and b) I got to appreciate it.
Have a better day (a heavy depression has attacked Thailand and today, Sat, was the 3rd and worst rainy day thus far).
Wet greetings
 Tangled Tidbits -
*intricate embellishments, stunning tangles
*eye catching, single curl of Elirob


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
No colour today. A somber tile for the families and friends and the people of Toronto who are holding vigils for the dead and injured when a van ploughed along a busy sidewalk killing and maiming as it went... On a happier note, I would like to compliment Felicity on her beautiful tile - baie mooi! I did struggle to make Elirob look interesting. I did the little triangular sort of fescues to match the triangles of Elirob just to help fill in the spaces. I love the floating cubine that Margaret Bremner introduced. I had an urge to put in more but resisted. One as enough for this tile. Spring is here. The little blue Scilla are blooming and the daffodils are opening up. What joy! Have a nice week everybody.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thankfully we have joys to offset our sorrows.
*straight and curved Cubine grids, so pretty with highlights
*lively Elirob variation - love those added triangles



From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
What a fun one this was, Adele!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wavy Cubine against straight Flukes - notice how Flukes alternates directions
*one center green and growing Elirob (reminds me of Spring!)


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
I love the new e-book you and Dorian created ... can’t wait to make a tangled fairy house!
Judy Murphy’s Elirob tangle was so relaxing (any tangle that begins like Mooka has to be great!). And Margaret Bremner never ceases to surprise and amaze me with her art, perspective as well as her “and then some” variations to tried and true tangles. She explained Maria Thomas’ floating tangles as well as her own idea of sprinkling fragments perfectly!
I gave a go at floating a fragment as well as adding grid framework (yet another practice by Margaret). I was so taken by it that I turned Elirob into floating fragments.
Cheers to a prompt full of tangly new techniques!

Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you, Sharyn!
*sprawling Elirob - fabulous fragments
*rounded Flukes corners 



From Renee W. (Austin, Texas) ~
I found each of these separately challenging and together very challenging! I just slowly added to this during the week and resisted temptation to toss it out.
Thanks for the challenge!
Tangled Tidbits - 
So glad you resisted that!
*elegant Elirob swirls flow from wobbly outlined Cubine fragments
*rounded Elirob corners 


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Here is my entry for this week's challenge. Flukes and Cubine are a couple of my favorite tangles. Since I missed the debut of your new Mack a couple of weeks ago, I included a little nod to Mack in this tile.
 Tangled Tidbits -
How good of you to think of Mack, thank you Beth.
*a tangle and different direction for each string section
*large swirl of Elirob contrasts with surrounding straight lines


From Thekla (Germnay) ~
I wish you a great week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*striped Elirob and Cubine
*Flukes filled Flukes - very clever variation


From Sra (India) ~
Here’s my tile for the week.
I was very reluctant to send in this tile but didn’t want to waste it. Elirob seemed easy and the other two Tangles weren’t new so I thought I could do better. Fate had other plans!
Have a good week ahead!
 Tangled Tidbits -
So very happy you sent this in, Sra.
*layers of bold Elirob
*straight and wavy Cubine



From Jennifer St. John (San Mateo, California) ~
I loved working with cubine. It sort of turned this week’s challenge into a “tangle noir”.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*squared Elirob pops up from Cubine fragment
*Cubine flows in two directions

From Shelly St. John (Redwood City, California) ~
Decided to use a black tile for this week’s tangle. I used my new gelly roll metallic pens.
Thanks again for your weekly string thing!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Aren't they fun?
*glowing Cubine
*different embellishment for each Elirob curl


From ARHeulsenbeck (Arizona) ~
I chose to do a straight grid for my string. Elirob is a new one for me! Thanks for the challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shared grid morphs from one tangle/variation to another
*straight grid and deep dark background add depth


A very warm welcome to Nova Belle (Texas) ~
Thank you for hosting your zentangle blog. I really enjoy looking it over!
I've been doing zentangle on and off for several months now, but I've never posted my work before...  I love zentangle because it allows me to draw without having to worry so much about what the end result will be. That's also part of why I've never shown my work - I hesitate to put myself 'out there' even to regular ol' friendly folk, because I don't want my work to be judged badly. But I had a great time with this week's prompt, so despite my rather terrible camera, I decided to send this one in.

 Tangled Tidbits -
We encourage and compliment here - so you are very welcome!
*rounded Cubine with starry black spaces
*Elirob - angular lines, wonderful shading, and peeking through a triangular Cubine
Happy to add you to our Tangled Map ~



From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York ) ~
I'm glad I was able to join in this week and then almost forgot to post it..
Thanks for a lovely challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*detail lines accent Cubine
*colorful curls of Elirob


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
This was a good challenge! I felt stretched on the classic tangles, as well as new tangle, Elirob. I especially liked the Floating Cubine variation. It's good to push out of our comfort zone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*starry, starry Cubine - so outer space-ish!
*detail lines decorate Elirob


From Sue Leslie (New Mexico) ~
Thinking spring, so some green crept in with elirob beginning to climb up the trellises of cubine and flukes. Wishing for some rain and warmer temps so I can get out into the garden. A fun tangle for a cloudy windy rainy and cold day here so I actually had time to do this weeks challenge. Thanks for keeping them coming even tho I don’t get many weeks done in time to post.
 Tangled Tidbits -
So glad to have you back, Sue.
*delicate Elirob
*Cubine and Flukes face inward


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I was thrilled to see Cubine and Flukes as tangle choices for this week! I love me a grid, and I love original ZentangleTM tangles, particularly the ones that have a 3-D quality. The only thing better would have been a trifecta with the addition of Dex. So, despite Margaret Bremner's wonderfully creative and imaginative suggestions, I stuck to plain ol' ordinary in a symmetrical grid. I do like my tangles to have finished edges (the "fronts" as Margaret called them), which is why they are oriented differently as the tile is divided by sprigs of Elirob. I thoroughly enjoyed drawing Elirob, again not particularly imaginatively (I wasn't sure whether using fine aura lines or solid blacks would conflict more with the lines in Cubine and Flukes, so I went with solid but tried to leave a white aura, plus shadow) ... but very relaxedly!
Thank you for another fun week!
Tangled Tidbits -
*happy balance of black and white for Elirob - the inner curls and aura sandwich the black well
*one grid, two tangles, four directions - lovely!


From Lynn G. (Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*white lined tangles on a colorful tile
*Cubine springs from a point


From Gabi (Germany) ~
Just want to tell you that I really love the this ELIROB pattern - it’s like Picasso’s variation of MOOKA.
Sending you - just out of competition - my first try with CUBINE and ELIROB. There were so many shapes with angles I had to add some rounder things.
Hope I will be able to join the next IAST. It’s such a great idea of you and brings a lot of new inspiration to me!
 Tangled Tidbits ~
That is an accurate description of Elirob.
*Elirob variation has balanced combination of straight and curved lines
*bubbly accents


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Greetings from Oklahoma! I hope Florida sunshine has you well! You have once again given a challenge that requires me to trust the process! Thank you!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*intriguing, multi-lined variation of Elirob pops against bold black
*rounded Cubine corners, fine lines



From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) ~
...I absolutely love Cubine...who doesn't? and that floating Cubine and everything Margaret does with it--wow! Did a simple lined variation of Flukes--and then played with some color for my "windows" and a couple of floating space windows...kinda fun--:)

Tangled Tidbits -
*tucked in corner echoes the pop of black in floating Cubine
*radiating lines fill Flukes


Finally, this is my tile ~
I began with Elirob and it somehow turned into a prehistoric pterodactyl looking thing.  It made me laugh.  I added some sparkled aura to it and some perfs to make it a bit more pleasing.  Next Cubine and Flukes filled the corners.  Little Cubine branches filled the Elirob spaces and then I scattered a few more around, finishing up one with a sprig of Elirob.



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Jane from Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom ~
Hope you have had a good week. Your new ebook looks so enchanting!
This foray into cubine and flukes was great, reminds me how much I love drawing grid tangles. Elirob was fun too. I added a couple of floating squares following Margaret Bremner's examples.
Thanks for the inspiration.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Jane.
*elegant Cubine and Flukes flow together, slight curve, deep black both lend greater dimension
*heavier shading adds more depth
*bold Elirob, striking on white space
*floating Cubine and Flukes/Cubine tie in the larger grids 


Congratulations, Jane.
I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Many thanks to Margaret Bremner, CZT for the "floating Cubine" idea.

Thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles used this week ~

Elirob by Judy Murphy

Cubine and Flukes by Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #241!




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the round-up, Adele! - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic collection! Thanks for the challenge again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are fabulous! Good job, everybody!

    ReplyDelete