Monday, May 28, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #244 Tiles

A very happy Memorial Day to you and yours.

For IAST #244 we anticipated this holiday with a star shaped string and the ever stellar tangle, Auraknot.  The result is a remarkable tribute from around the world.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Toby (Montréal, Quebec, Canada) ~
I really loved this challenge! Auraknot is one of those tangles I rarely think to use on my own, but always enjoy when I do use it. And working on this tile really got me into a calm, zen space--which as a new mother is not something that happens to me very often! Thank you so much for this challenge and all the work and creativity you put into it-I find it inspiring even when I don't have time to participate myself!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Congratulations on being a new mom - what a sweet blessing for you!
*layers of starry Auraknot float over the string space
*string space is like a frosted window into the stars - a beautiful effect



From Sally Whiteman (New Zealand) ~
Attached is my tile for this weeks challenge. What a lovely idea to remember the fallen.
I put the red poppies in to remember Gallipoli where my grandfather fought for the ANZAC's
 Tangled Tidbits -
*loving tribute with touches of red
*detailed shading, wonderful depth



From Lily (Hungary) ~
...here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Zenhug
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous mix of tangles, stunning colors against black and white
*sparkled and shimmering Auraknot


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
For this challenge I have used a template with a star in the middle. I used this template before, a few years ago when I started to tangle...but I had chosen for different patterns.
Besides Auraknot, you can see a mix of Meer and S-Pod, Sindoo, Beadlines, Indy Relly, Tipple and a lot of little stripes. I have made the open spaces black with a brushpen.
I always enjoye drawing in the round and it was nice to see this result (that I prefer) next to the one that I have made in the beginning.
Send you warm regards from Belgium and thank you very much for another wonderful challenge!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty center, middle, and outer details
*deep black border spaces, colorful tangles, all highlight arced lines of Auraknot


From Angie Gittles, CZT 29 (Maryland) ~
Auraknot and Henna Drum
 Tangled Tidbits -
*complimentarty mix of straight line and curve
*angular Auraknot inner lines


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
...herewith my contribution to Auraknot. I added Shattuck and Irradial, shaded with pencils.
Thank you and a big hug
 Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled Irradial adds burst of movement to Auraknot
*thin to thick to thinner aura



From Gale Sherman (Tucson, Arizona) ~
This was a great challenge for reflecting on war, peace and the price we all pay when peace fails. Since I'm a child of the 60s I think an homage to Picasso's 1949 Dove of Peace image accurately portrays my continued hope for worldwide peace on this US Memorial Day weekend.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful juxtaposition of images
*patriotic Auraknot


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Hope you and your family have a “dry” Memorial Day weekend.
Thank you for another fun challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*flowery finery surround for Auraknot
*beautiful shades of blue


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*six pointed Auraknot center - love it on a zendala
*perfs spin off to the border



From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for your challenge, Adele. The red, white and blue on my tile are in honor of our Memorial Day celebration, of course. The flags from Xplode represent those that we put on our Veterans’ graves this holiday to recognize and remember their service to our country. Here’s to a nice holiday weekend!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*perf lined patriotic Auraknot
*explosion of Xplode (Thank you for the reminder of this 'perfect for the occasion' tangle!)



From ARHuel (Arizona) ~
I added a reverse log cabin background to my Auraknot star.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*...and that adds a wonderfully layered look
*consistent aura spacing accents line direction


From Pat (Washington State) ~
Memorial Day and in remembrance for those that lost their lives.

Tangled Tidbits -
*black ribbon reminder
*highlights shine in colorful Auraknot star and strips



From Shelly St. John (Redwood City, California) ~
I really enjoyed working with the auraknot. I added a bit of color to spice it up a bit.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*color and deep black spaces for spice :)
*rounded outer aura for Auraknot



From Sue Leslie (New Mexico) ~
Happy Memorial Weekend. Thanks for a fun tile. As I did mine I thought of many family and friends that served in the military that are no longer with us. Some who died in service and some who lived a full life after their service. And the many veterans that are still with us. Thanks to all of them including my father, a grandfather and an uncle (now gone), a brother, my husband and several friends (who are still with me, and I am so thankful for that). Here’s to the Red, White and Blue and all the military stars of our country and in my life. Grateful for everyone of them past and present.

 Tangled Tidbits - 
That was beautifully said, Sue, thank you.
*delicately lined red Auraknot
*Ahh filled background


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Lovely challenge to return to the simple Auraknot. I like the way the
pattern repeats and you can nestle one inside the other.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*nestled tangles - how fun!
*shaded angles



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to the newest challenge.
It is really relaxing to tangle this pattern… just turn the tile and draw another line! At the end I liked to add some bubbles in the back.
Greetings from sunny Germany!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*weighted initial lines and rounded corners - fabulous depth
*shaded border and bubbles


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
When I was drawing this IAST challenge the song I had been playing on the guitar over and over again in the Sixties invaded my mind…How many times must the cannon balls fly…
before they’re forever banned? The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind. The answer is blowin’ in the wind… (Bob Dylan)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*glorious color, tangles, shading, and highlights
*bursting field of Raindotty



From Di (Western Australia) ~
Greetings Adele from a welcoming wet part of my world! It's the first rain of the season and from now on our dry brown earth will transform into cool greenery and stay with us for a few months.
This week I send you two very different tiles. The first auraknot wanted to be all curves and points, and I enhanced it by pointing pokeroot to the pointy ends of the entwined and stretched out looking back piece. I love its symmetry. I wanted the second tile to be covered in lines and discovered Ragged Ray's deceptively simple Clob pattern. Hers looks so much better than mine and studying it, I can see how I can make improvements.
I hope you enjoy your public holiday on Monday!

Tangled Tidbits -
*interwoven curvy and straight lined Auraknot

*irregular aura widths  - awesome look for Auraknot



From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Tangles used: Auraknot, Breach (YuRu Chen), Veezy (Margaret McKerihan), Winflo (Nadine Roller). Love all these patterns. Lots of fun!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely mix of curvy tangles compliment Auraknot
*sparkly sparkle and pops of blues and pinks



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Here is my tile IAST # 244 for this week.
Have a good Memorial Day to everybody.
With lots of love.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant Mooka accents
*soft shading - tangles gradually darken outward (Is that O I spy?!)



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
I enjoyed again to draw for your wonderful challenge this week. Auraknot is one of my favorite patterns. I drew two versions, one in a more geometrical way, another combined with flowery patterns. This one you can find on my blog under the link...
A wonderful weekend for you and your family!
A warm Thank you and best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*awesome angles, lines, light and dark spaces
*straight, long lined Auraknot


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
What a wonderful way to honor our veterans and their families.
Auraknot is a beautiful tangle, commemorating for some of us, the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Thanks to all!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Auraknot lines form ribbons
*stars and Printemps and beautiful coloring



From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Thank you for this interesting challenge. I often feel my tiles end up too busy, and I have been happy to leave this one looking more spacious. I have bought the fairy garden houses pdf and am looking forward to making some. I’d quite like to use something waterproof so they really can live in the garden and be available for the fairies -- wouldn’t that be fun. I’ll send photos when I get round to it.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Oh my goodness, that would be wonderful.  Thank you for ordering the book and I look forward to seeing your Fairy Houses.
*intertwined, sparkled ribbon
*wavy lined Auraknot


This is my tile ~
I've tucked it in here because my approach was similar to Nor'dzin's and three tiles in a row have ribbons :) I love when that happens.
After watching Rick and Maria's video, the idea of a ribbon laced through Auraknot sounded like fun. It may have looked better just a bit thicker, or perhaps having my aura lines a bit wider...



From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Auraknot?!! How could I have forgotten you for so long? Without meaning to, it's probably been a year or more since I've used this tangle. Thanks for the reminder, Adele! And thanks to this tutorial from Donna Castaldi of Mainely Tangles blog (LINK) for a lovely way to intertwine Auraknot and Mooka. I used a 6x6 tan tile with a 01 black micron, 0.3 Copic sepia multiliner, white gelly roll, red chalk and white chalk pencils, and a Gloven border. Happy Memorial Day, Everyone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for that link to Donna's Auraknot/Mooka - it is a great idea.
* marvelous melding of Mooka and Auraknot
*white highlights for Mooka and Gloven



From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
A contribution to this week's challenge, with best wishes
 Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful depth created with perf tipped lines running under sparkled ribbon
*sparkled perfs repeat in Auraknot center and points


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Greetings from Oklahoma!
Busy end of school days made this simple lovely Tangle the perfect challenge for this week! I accidentally, on purpose, embellished this with your first initial in mind! "A" happy accident!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, I love it!
*initial Auraknot lines wrap around each other
*rounded corners, wonderful tangle filled spaces


From Heather Temple (Killingworth, Connecticut) ~
Not one of my favorites but it’s a busy weekend. Thanks!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Love that colorful pencil backdrop!
*Auraknot stars on the flag's field of blue
*shading accents the waves



From Audrie Weisenfelder (Arizona) and here on her blog ~
Hi, Adele, here I am again. It's been a while since I've done any challenges, much less posted them.
But here's my answer to Challenge #244. I did a 5 point Auraknot, added a layer of Betweed, and then a layer of Auras.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back Audrie - so good to hear from you!
*weighted initial Auraknot lines
*lovely layers of line and aura


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A string Thing #244’ challenge.
This is my piece in appreciation for those who lost their lives in the military service to our country.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a very touching tribute
*intertwining circle and repeating Auraknot lines


From Gabi (Germany) ~
What a nice chance to use AURAKNOT - it’s such a beautiful and meditative pattern which sometimes reminds me to X-Mas :))
Did a combination with some of my favourite patterns such as SHATTUK and KEEKO.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, like a star of Bethlehem...
*deep black border peeks out from curves of Shattuck
*Auraknot rises above a Keeko background



From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Hope I'm not too late!
Thanks for another great challenge!
Rainbows and raindrops in sunny Singapore
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a Paradox rainbow center for Auraknot - and awesome overlapping perfs
*penciled Paradox flows from Auraknot lines


From Isle Lukken (The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
Oops, I forgot to send in my entry... Hopefully I’m not too late, but if I am at least I had fun drawing it! ;-)
 Tangled Tidbits -
Not too late!
*a star in a star as two tangles mingle brilliantly
*shaded perfs fill each Auraknot space



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...


 Jane (Dorking, Surrey, United Kingdom) !

Jane wrote ~
So pleased to read you had a good week, I love your words of wisdom too!
In this challenge thanks for reminding us of all those we should remember, who gave their lives for our freedom.
Auraknot is one of my favourite tangles - there are so many! I had fun adding ruutz, printemps, pixiose, sandswirl, so good!!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*stellar layering and mix of tangles
*light, medium, and dark spaces
*Ruutz reaches passed the black border and off the tile

Congratulations, Jane!

Thank you to Maria Thomas for her awesome Auraknot tangle.

My thanks to all of you for sending in your sweet thoughts and beautiful tiles.
We hold dear those who sacrificed their lives so that we can live in the glorious freedoms we enjoy.
Happiest of Memorial Days to you.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #245!






1 comment:

  1. Wow! Beautiful work, everybody! Wonderful theme, gorgeous interpretations. You all rock!

    ReplyDelete