Tuesday, December 4, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #271 Tiles

This week we had the pleasure of tangling CZT Jody Genovese's latest, XLnt.  By all accounts, we had and excellent time with it. 

Let's take a look ~


The first tile arrived from Simone (Germany) and here in her Flickr album ~
Thank you for this nice challenge.
I hope I have understand the challenge in the right way. So I have had fun to learn XLnt and to draw it in a Monotangle. I decided to take my own string, witch will be able to be a part of a little mosaic. First I did a lot of points and than I decided to try these again with only a few points, but in the same string-style. I like it as a Duo.
Dear Adele, thank you so much for the work you have preparing all that for us.

 Tangled Tidbits -
*added aura lines and so good to see both versions in the same string



From Gudrun (Germany) and here on Flickr ~
,,,here is my contribution to Challenge XLNT.
I took a little color and relaxed drawing to brighten up a bit the gray November days.
Best regards from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*graceful lines layered with bright rays of color


From Meridiana (Massachusetts) and here on her blog ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful white on black tile and highlights


From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
It finally got cold here in Central Florida. Temperatures will dip into the high 30s tonight. Luckily it doesn't last long and the days will warm up from here.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*alternating aura and shading adds depth


From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
Being asked which side was top, our 7-year old spontaneously said ‘this way - there’s a cave at the bottom...’
Thank you, Adele, Jody and Eni Oken for a fun and inspiring as well as instructive day.
 Tangled Tidbits -
That was a wise response!
*fantastic combination of tangle, highlight, shading, and color


From Nor'dzin (Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Here is my contribution to challenge #271. A lovely tangle.
Please may I ask my tangling friends to think of my son, daughter-in-law, and their unborn baby. There is some concern that the baby is not growing and she will be induced next week. Please offer your prayers for a healthy baby and mother.
It has been soothing to create this tile today.
Thank you.
 Tangled Tidbits -
We will certainly pray for them - and you.  May prayers bring you peace and tangling calm you.
*bold border, dark aura and shadow shading


From Joanne (New Brunswick, Canada) ~
Here is XLnt with a few Crescent Moons...which ended up looking like hats...oh well ;)
Have a nice weekend!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fun hats at that! - grand center swirl



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for It’s A String Thing # 271 Challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely weighted lines, shadowed aura, and soft shading


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
This time, I have chosen to use a Renaissance triangle tile to make a
composition with XLNT.
As you can see, I used black and braun pens and finished with ordinary
colourpencils (black, white, braun and orange) and used a white gel to
make the final touch.
In the beginning I was not fond of this pattern but after making this
tile I like XLNT a lot, it is a relaxing and wonderful tangle.
Warm regards from Belgium...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful contrasts in color and direction of the curves


From Gabi (Germany) ~
The suggested pattern “XLNT” was completely new to me and I had no idea how to use but finally was inspired by a paperweight I brought from Venice. Brought me back some memories to a warm an wonderful time at this beautiful city
 Tangled Tidbits -
*tranzending over a detailed, black and blue tangle - fabulous depth!


From Anthony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
here's my submission to this lovely challenge. Very fluid and relaxing tangle.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shading adds softness to beautifully bold tangle


From Lisette, CZT 31 (Switzerland) ~
This challenge was fun - I couldn’t stop drawing - therefore I’m sending two tiles. When I read the name of this pattern I thought “what the hack does this mean…!” - until I spelled it out loud EXCELLENT - what a great name for this wonderful pattern. I’ve never drawn it before but I love it!
I hope everybody had so much fun with this challenge.
Enjoy the coming weeks before X-mas! Big hugs
 Tangled Tidbits -
That's funny - and so true!  The tangle is easy to love.
*soft colorful striping and smaller tangles for the background


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
What an excellent idea using XLNT! Ok, I admit it, I didn’t “get” the name for awhile. I actually did two versions of this one. The first one was a normal rendition, but then I thought I’d try a bit of a variation. That’s the one I’m sending you. It’s a bit crazy looking and was a lot of fun!
What a treat this week—almost every morning there was a great email from you with so many wonderful tangles to enjoy!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*XLnt dances across the page - looks like fun!
I am happy to know you enjoyed the "show" of "catching up" posts last week :)


From Kate Ahrens, CZT 9 - 1 Art Lady Kate Tangles (Minnesota) ~
Hi Adele, Here is my tile for the week. I really enjoyed using Jody's tangle XLNT. I only had my little pack of tools that we received at zenAgain with me that day and I enjoyed the simplicity of both the tangle and the elegance of limits as I had only a few tools to work with removing all the choice. It was relaxing to have the tools chosen for me, not making the decision, but having only 2 colors, the pen, pencil and white charcoal pencil to work with. Have a great week, and tangle on.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...sounds heavenly and shows in your tile.
*colors, highlights, and shading, all add movement and depth to the tangle


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Happy December to all! Often a crazy month, but WE have a special friend to help us through the crazy part- Zentangle. Aren't we lucky! I'm always impressed with Jody's beautiful lines- neat, smooth and purposeful. Mine tend to be a bit wonky and more so when I'm drawing the auras as the curves get bigger. Oh well, it is what it is! My first tile (in black) is when I follow the instructions and the second (in brown) is when #XLNT (OK, it's me!) goes a bit wild adding extra perfs here and there. Anyway, it's always fun to get lost in a monotile! Thanks for another great challenge, Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
...I'm not sure how that happens, but I can relate to those auras growing :)
*added aura in multiple directions, complete with highlight add interest and movement


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
this weekly task was a real challenge for me, because for whatever reason, I did not get along with the pattern too well. My first attempts were just clumsy. The sent version is the fourth attempt and this time quite acceptable. You can find it on my blog under the link
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful details in the striping of XLnt - perseverance pays off!


From Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
I picked up my pen again after a long hiatus and had the best time!
Don't know why I laid it down.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Cheers to renewed acquaintances with a Micron!
*Knightsbridge, in all its angles, is a fabulous background and compliment to the tangle



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I choose a black tile and silver, gold and white pens for this challenge. It is difficult to show how it shines in the photograph and scanning just gives a big reflection. Does anyone have any advice for black tiles?
 Tangled Tidbits -
Perhaps the angle of the lighting would make a difference...
*weighted mid lines and aura accent the tangle


From Sra (India) ~
Here's my entry to the latest challenge! I put this on a background of Ixorus. I practised the XLNT tangle many many times as the curve around the perfs wasn't to my liking. By the time I had it down a little more elegantly, I wanted to do a different background.
Have a nice week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*XLnt floats about a truly inspiring background of Ixorus


From Jane Goddard (United Kingdom) ~
I hope you have had a good week, you look to have been busy catching up! Thanks for this challenge, I have drawn Jody’s new tangle before so it was a pleasure to do it as a monotangle and selected a tan tile, blue, brown and black ink and some Generals white charcoal. Such fun!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*larger sparkled perfs add great roundness to the tangle - lovely colors, too!


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~

 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful twists and turns and Zinger finishes


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
XLnt is an excellent tangle. I really like it. But, it does require concentration and a steady hand. I had to do quite a bit of practising. My lines ended up a bit wonky but, in the end, they just had to do.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, concentration and a steady hand and it is very forgiving.
*overlapping tangles accented by shaded orbs


From AmyL (Connecticut) ~
I did this one on a bijou tile. I think I need some more practice, but it is pretty fun and lends itself well to a monotangle.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading and multiple layers add wonderful depth


From Allison (California) ~
Yeah for me I finished the challenge in time to send it to you. This was lots of fun. I really liked shading it.
Thanks
 Tangled Tidbits -
*soft gray background tangles accent the darker ones


From Ingird (The Netherlands) ~
Here is my tile # 271 for this week.
My first try at XLNT was fun and very relaxing indeed. The tangle is also very forgiving to my wobbly lines. Curious to see the other results.
With much love and have a blessed week ahead.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*delightful details - Tipple, multiple aura, deep shading, grand variation in line length




From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Thanks for another interesting tangle. XLNT was new to me and fun to draw!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*grand rows of detail, striping, sparkled perfs, and color


From Lynn Fine (Florida) ~
Another fun challenge brightened the rainy day.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shading of the little tangles make them look like raised knots


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT28 (Kingston, New York) ~
Wow what a challenge..:)
After practice this is what I came up with..A colored background white gel pen, glitter brush and white charcoal pencil
Have a great week all
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a pretty combination of all your 'ingredients'!


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Did you ever have one of those weeks? Nothing really went wrong, everyone's fine, but annoying things happened, like the internet went out...intermittently first, and then completely. Small things like that. Here's a Bronx cheer for those types of weeks! I like the tangle XLnt very much! I see it cropping in future tiles for sure. I added wavy frills around the raspberries and a little Diva Dance to finish it off. Ending a so-so week on a high note. Thanks, Adele!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wow! That combination is fabulous and sure to make Jody smile.


From Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
The weather in Holland is very dark and grey so this was an Xlnt challenge to colour up the day:)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*glorious greens and reds and Crescent Moon finishes - that would brighten any dark day!


From Barbara Steyer, CZT (Germany) ~
this was a pleasure again playing with Jody’s pattern. I love it!
Here you can see my colored attempt.
Wish you a lightfull 1. Advent
Thanks for your inspiration and work!
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
* a very happy first week of Advent shines through in the purple Printemps :)


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
I have to say, I didn’t think this was a tangle for me. Repeated aura lines can play a game with my eyes. But after a few pages of practice XLNT took hold.
Cheers and Thanks for always offering tangles that will test our will, amuse our senses, and calm our soul.
 Tangled Tidbits -
That captures tangling at its best, cheers to your wonderful wording!
*outer layers begin with more perfs and add even more depth


From Katharina Sasse (Germany) ~
...I like the XLNT pattern you gave us this time. I tried several different ways and decided for this one.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*long line curves, open spaces filled with soft color, and multiple layers


From Tina K (Germany) ~
Here ist my tile for IAST #271. My variation of XLnt with Poke Root.
Thanks a lot and greetings from Germany.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful stripes, sparkle, diminishing auras, highlights, and shading


From Elke Pütz (Bremen, Germany) ~
Thank you for the challenge and Many Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant zenbutton layers of color and tangle


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Here is my effort at XLNT by Jody Genovese. I found this pattern a challenge in that I’m a bit shaky in the hand at present. Hope it will disappear soon. Difficult to do the circular auras well- spaced and smoothly, yet, as always, I was surprised with the result. So, it’ll be practise, practise, practise for me and I’m sure my XLNT’s will improve. Thank you and Jody for stretching me with this challenge. Have a good week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*each layer features a unique detail and shading accents the layers


My tiles tell of a learning curve...this was my first attempt ~

My auras swelled and I lost the battle to keep them evenly spaced.  Not satisfied, I tried another tile hoping to create a rounder look like Jody gave in her examples.  
One section went awry and the aura remained wonky.  Shading, Fescu, and more perfs made it palatable. (It reminds me of a teddy bear.)
Determined to enjoy this tangle, I studied Jody's step out again, let go of any preconceived notion of what my finished tile should look like, and just had fun. And that's when I finally "got it"!




From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Thank you so very much for featuring XLnt in this week’s challenge. It was a much-needed boost. So grateful for you.
I started out doing a traditional black and white tile and then thought it might be fun to try an antique looking Christmas style tile, so I have included both.
Last year I fell in love with Eni Oken’s technique of treasured tan tiles, so this is a spin on that.
I’m so excited to see everyone’s tile. I think this is such a fun pattern to draw because you can take the auras in so many directions and it looks great no matter which way you decide to go. Plus, you get this magic interlocking weave that looks complicated but just happens.
I called it XLnt because it started out as an X, but also because my husband is always saying EXxxxcellent and really drawing out the x. It is a tribute to him and he totally deserves it.
Thank you again!

 Tangled Tidbits -
*awe inspiring variations - tangles float, intertwine, layer...gorgeous!



Thank you, Jody, for your brilliant XLnt and tiles.

Thanks to you all for sending in your treasured tiles.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #272!






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the round-up and your comments, Adele! - Sra

    ReplyDelete