Monday, October 16, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #215 Tiles

What a treat is was this week to play with two new(ish) tangles from two members of our IAST community.  The challenge proved to be a soothing, zen-like experience and loads of fun. 

Lets take a look ~


The first tile arrived from Vonnie Schneider (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~
As I was tangling this tile I felt a disconnect between the string and Delys, as well as Clob and Delys. But, at the same time they all fit together. It wasn’t until I grabbed the grey marker instead of the light blue marker that I saw the connection between them. Many years ago I owned a grey sweatshirt that had A Swedish embroidered design (the most comfortable sweatshirt I might add...I miss it so!). The design kind of reminded me of Delys. Then I looked at Clob...tan corduroy pants ( also comfy and missed!)
Who knew one could find an old memory in a tangle! Thanks!

Tangled Tidbits -
..."an old memory in a tangle"... That is a sweet thought.
*alternating tangles divided by weighted string lines
*soft colors, pretty Delys


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Love this week’s Tangles, they are so versatile.
I tangled my tile with the string in the position you drew it Adele, but after I’d finished I turned it sideways
And I’m now not sure which way I prefer it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautifully delicate Delys
*Clob flows from several points and along the string's channels


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I missed last week and I'm going to miss next week! Darn I do so look forward to this. Loved the two Tangles this week, thanks for all your hard work Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
I am happy that you join in when you are able!
*Clob filled Delys
*background and center Clob run perpendicular


From Tonia C (Rhode Island) ~
This was am interesting string. I thought I would be using #Clob more given the string design, then changed my mind. I also added some #CO2 with a silver metallic glaze pen as I felt it needed a little "bling". Thanks for this week's challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of Delys
*Ahh adds lightness


From Sandra (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you so much for this inspiring challenge! When I saw clob the first time I just wanted to try it but I didn't manage it so far. So your challenge came just in the right moment ;-)
I had a lot of fun with the string and the two new-for-me patterns.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob outlined and filled string spaces - pretty variations features stripes and sparkle
*blossoms of Delys and lovely perfs

From CZT Ria Matheussen (Belgium) ~
Here is my entry for the 215 th challenge with (for me) 2 lovely new tangles.
I've made my drawing on watercoloured paper and coloured a bit more with ordinary pencils. When I finished the job, I took a picture while putting my tile on another watercoloured bigger one.
I like both patterns and I am glad I could use them, thanks to you.
Kind regards from Belgium
Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob spiral and swirls in lovely shades
*alternating Delys


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
I like your given string for this week’s challenge because there are many ways to use it. The two patterns I knew but didn’t use them often. So I could practise them again. My two versions you can find on my blog
Thank you for this interesting challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty details for Delys - cluster of four is beautiful
*striped and sparkled Clob

From CZT Lin H (Florida) ~
Thanks for your challenge this week that included two new patterns for me, Clob and Delys. I really like them both. I’m looking forward, as always, to seeing everyone else’s results.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful shading brings dimension to Clob and Delys
*white space compliments the tangles

From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Here is this week’s tile. It was very soothing drawing all those furrows. I think it looks like a ploughed field.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura, shading, and dark spaces for Delys
*multiple directions for Clob clusters

From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Two tangles I had never done before. Enjoyed the challenge. Thanks Adele for doing one every week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*single and double Clob lined strings, aura-ed, shaded
*two shades of blue for Delys

From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Isn't it funny how things turn out? I looked at Clob and thought I didn't like it. But once I started doing it, I had a lot of fun with it and couldn't stop! As you can see, I barely left any room for Delys which is a fine pattern. One of these days I want to do more with it, and I hope a few people made it the star of their tile this week. I'm looking forward to that.
As always, thanks for everything!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Delys is the delightful star of this tile - three times over
*Clob shines in four variations


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
Both patterns were new to me and I like both a lot, Clob even better. I’ve been playing with the twested rope lately and think it’s fantastic what you can do with it.
In Switzerland we are enjoying wonderful goldy autumne days. I am so grateful for this, when I see what’s going on weatherwise worldwide. And I hope that no-one is affected by fire or water nor wind. God bless.

Tangled Tidbits -
I second that wish, thank you Lisette.
*spirals of Clob border the tile
*elegant Delys variation

From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
So fun to have a challenge with two new patterns. Thanks for all you do.
Tangled Tidbits -
*mirrored Delys with lovely curls that repeat along the border and Clob
*soft shading and just a touch of weighted line
From Elena (Russia) ~
Here is my string thing 215. I really like these bundles, ropes and worms. Paper thinned with watercolor. Liked!
Tangled Tidbits -
*dainty Delys graces the center
*beautiful strands of Clob - weighted edges, stripes an sparkle


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Thanks for the challenge Adele. Clob certainly was zenfull, I really enjoyed the challenge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous highlight and soft shading of Clob
*pretty light and dark variation of Delys

From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my IAST # 215 tile.
My scanner shows the tile blacker than it is in reality. I tried to lighten it up, but that was no succes. Anyway, it was nice to play with these, new to me, tangles.
Have a very lovely and blessed birthday and I will be thinking of you!
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you!  I was trying to sneak passed my birthday, but you caught me!
We'll play with it a bit tomorrow in IAST #216 😉
Happy birthday to you, too!
*deep shading gives wonderful depth to Clob
*dotted Delys creates a lovely backdrop

From Joke Leussenkamp (The Netherlands) ~
After last week's surprise, winning the IAST #214 challenge, I could not resist too take another go with this one!!
Because of other occupations again I'm very late but I hope it will still be on time.
I hope you like the result!!!!
Thanks again for these challenges
Tangled Tidbits -
*striking details for Clob - how fun!
*black background highlights the beautiful tangles

From Teddy G (Maryland) ~
My entry for IAST #215. Thanks again for another great challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob filled large Delys with detail lines and aura - just beautiful
*checkered, striped. sparkled, triangular Clob

From Ilse Lukken ( The Netherlands) and here on her blog ~
I hope I'm just in time to enter my tile, the last weeks have been pretty busy to me... I'm happy when I find some time to tangle :-)
Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant curves and curls
*dark centers of Delys play well with the lighter Clob and white space

From Ute Andresen (Germany) ~
here I’m sending you the tile for It’s a String Thing # 215.
I like this twisted string and the patterns too. Especially Delys. I think I will go on tangling with it.
Thank you for your inspiration.

Tangled Tidbits -
*lighter line of Delys in the foreground - notice how aura and shading push the others to the background
*lovely layers of Clob

From Juul (France) ~
Chère Adèle
Here is my tile for this week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*aura along with light and dark sections create beautiful variations of Delys
*Clob lines create sense of movement as they swirl

From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Attached is my tile for IAST215. I totally spaced out last week - did my tile, but forgot to send it in. I enjoyed seeing how everyone else interpreted the challenge, none the less. Wonderful work by all.
We are praying for our neighbors in Northern California - family and friends in the area are all safe at this time.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shading and sparkle make Delys shine
*narrow, detailed, wonderful Clob

From Sra (India) ~
Here's my tile for this week's challenge.
Have a great week ahead!
Cheers
Tangled Tidbits -
*lines in each Clob section are independent of the next - lovely variation
*Delys border


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (New York) ~
I am glad for your challenges they really stretch me!!
Thanks
Here is my offer for this week.
Be Blessed!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob lines travel over and under
*fanciful Delys

From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Thank´s Adele for this challenge. The patterns suggested were new to me but I loved them at first sight! So here is my entry on a black ATC!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob filled Delys
*highlights and lovely aura

From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob and Delys blend with shared detail lines
*Tipple accents




From Pat Kennedy (Washington State) ~
I was happy that I was able to take part in this challenge - it was an enjoyable one!

Tangled Tidbits  -
*dainty Delys with light touches of aura and dots
*soft shading and highlights


From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
I loved everything about this challenge! Thanks, Adele.
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty flowering Delys
*colorful tangles glow on the black tile

From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Here's my tile for challenge #215.
While I was playing with Clob I started being reminded of this artist, Sol LeWitt. One of his "things" was wall drawings, which he didn't execute but his part of the art was writing instructions, and then the drawings were executed by various people on various museum and gallery walls. A couple of my friends participated in creating one at the art museum at the University of Arizona several years ago. For the one they did, the instruction was something like "draw a skyline across the wall, and then trace directly under it" using several prescribed colors in a particular order. He used the mountains where he lived, so they used the skyline of the local Catalina Mountains. They found, as I recall you mentioning in a "Tangling Tips" about I believe Nipa, that as you go the line tends to flatten out. So, I did a monotangle with Clob, and turned the string upside down because I wanted to work top to bottom like they did. I tried to throw in some Sparkle but I found it difficult to predict where the "high points" were going to be.
It was fun! Thank you for doing this every week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Yes, it was in my Tips for Tangling Nipa that I mentioned how lines tend to flatten out.  I will reference your note in tomorrow's challenge.  Thank you, Sue!
*deep curves yield great depth
*individually tangled string sections and varied width of line space




From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
This was a wonderful challenge. I was doing my layout for the final interpretation of # 215, when I walked away for a few minutes to refresh. Upon returning - BAM! - there it was! An owl, down in the bottom right - staring back at me. Taking some artistic license to embellish him using the Delys tangle premise, I made him (or her) a central focal character of this piece, peeking out of a tree hollow.
Funny what happens when you walk away for a while. You see all kinds of things that you never saw while you were focusing on the matter at hand!
Thank you Adele, Jem, and Jenna for a great combination! Kind of spooky, just in time for Halloween.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a peeping owl - a fabulous find - love those sparkling eyes1
*deep black sections compliment the tangles

From Aileen (Singapore) and here on her blog ~
Thanks for another great challenge! Am rediscovering striping at the moment! Do link my blog pls!
Rainbows and raindrops in sunny Singapore
Tangled Tidbits -
*long, sparkled lines
*flowing white curls



From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Here's my contribution for this week. In addition to Clob and Delys, I've added a Cadent variation. Working on a gray-tone tile inspired me to use a little red and white inks to jazz it up a bit.
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty combination of tangles
*light stripes and solid, sparkled perfs - lovely compliments


From Kelly Brantley (Kansas) ~
This week's string made me feel happy and gave me the opportunity to use some of my favorite tangles. I wasn't familiar with either Clob or Delys, and mine don't look so nice as their creators'. I found it difficult to keep the parallel lines of Clob curved enough and the same distance apart. I wanted to use Clob in the same place Jem did, so I did a second tangle. I liked how Delys turned out in my first tangle, but decided not to use it in the second one. I was hoping that by putting something dark and small on both sides of the string 'column', it would make it stand out and look more 3 dimensional, which I think worked better with #2. I also added a little color which is very rare for me. Hope you like them!

Tangled Tidbits -
*creative combination of tangles - shading does bring the string section forward
*Clob covered string lines

From Sue Leslie (New Mexico) ~
Happy Saturday and happy October...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Delys tipped lines
*lovely layers of Clob

From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
I enjoyed this one especially Clob. That's a really fun one to draw. I think I went a little crazy with the shapes and have lost the string, but I had fun doing it!
Tangled Tidbits -
*stark light and dark Delys with dainty dots
*Clob lines flow in opposite directions from one section to the next


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
I have so often used the concept of Clob in my tiles, it's nice to have a name to apply to the design. Have to try the side-by-side rows sometime; that looks very cool. And Delys is lovely; look forward to playing with variations in the future. Right now I'm up to my eyelashes in mini white pumpkins to tangle for family and friends; these patterns will be fun to add to my list. REALLY need to work harder at getting the waxy film off first though ...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*striking three dimensional look to Clob - shading, overlapping, curling around - YUM!
*lines swirl around and behind - amazing.
*fabulous Delys center flower


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) ~
Back at last and so late as usual. Hope you are all well. Have had a bit of a hectic few weeks of heritage festival and crises, but I’m so happy to be back. Haven’t been completely out of the loop. Took part in Joey van Oordt’s 9 weeks’ challenge.
Anyway, here’s my Tile 215 and I will attempt to catch up on those I missed as a do not like gaps in my album.
Enjoyed the string and Clob by Jem Miller and Delys by Jenns Black.
Tangled Tidbits -
*delightfully detailed Delys variations - aura, sparkle, stripes, perfs, weighted lines...
*fine lined Clob and all against a deep background

 From Henrike Bratz, CZT (Germany) ~
just a quick mail as I’m late again. I grabbed a zendala tile this time – one you gave me!!!! with a water mark on it. I hope you like it.
      

  
Tangled Tidbits -
It's beautiful!
*Clob clusters branch out and morph into Dalys
*sparkled stripes, aura, and wonderful shading


And now...

the tiles for honors this week...

...must absolutely go to the creators of the tangles we used this week:
Jem Miller (Ragged Ray) and Jenna Black.

From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
How thrilling to see my tangle included as part of your challenge for this week – thank you so much for choosing it, I can't wait to see what others do with it. And what a wonderful string too, inspired by the one you saw on my blog, which in turn was inspired by the wonderful rope strings that Margaret Bremner uses.
Sometimes I like Clob to be the star of the show, but this week perhaps Best Supporting Actor – following the lines of the string whilst also breaking away, allowing little openings to appear, perfect for fragments of Delys. And across the middle a wide band of Delys – such a versatile tangle – I chose to sharpen the spirals and round and darken and fill.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Clob sprays outward from points along the string
*delicate lines, shadow shading, sparkle, weighted lines, and perfs - all for the love of Delys :)
*deep shading and touches of darker lines balance the white space beautifully

And Jenna Black (North Carolina) ~
Once again, you lured me in from my other projects by using one of my tangle patterns. LOL. I've been really obsessed with color lately, but for this time I went back to black and white on a gray tile. Lots of fun! Thanks.

Tangled Tidbits -
We are thrilled to have you back and with your delightful Delys.
*smooth and squiggly rows of Clob
*sparkle and stripes
*three variations of Delys



Congratulations, Jem and Jenna!
Special thanks to you both for your wonderful tangles:  Clob  and Delys.

Many thanks to everyone for sending in your inspiring work.



Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #216!








No comments:

Post a Comment