Saturday, April 15, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #191 Tiles

We are hopping down the Bunny Trail (as the song sweetly says) and just in time for Easter.

IAST #191 featured an egg shaped string and tangles for decorating it.   Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Queensland, Australia via Shirley Wohlsen ~
Attached is my drawing for ‘ It’s A String Thing #191.’ Challenge.
Another enjoyable challenge, Maria Thomas tangles were lovely and Adele your Mel Mel tangle was a real sweetie.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*marvelous Mel Mel variations
*colorful tangles pop against Keeko


From Susie (Thailand) and here on her blog ~
Easter is round the corner so I send you attached my egg in a basket tile.
Thanks for the wonderful mel mel, Adele. Not sure I would have participated this week without this pattern. It was new to me so the imaginary ‘circles’ in the middle turned out to be….well, for your imaginary interpretation.
Tangled Tidbits -
Your Mel Mel is lovely.
*Mel Mel lines define the string's curves - great sparkle effect on the larger one
*striking aura and shading


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Thanks so much for all you do in creating a weekly challenge and then creating a showcase for all the tiles. I learn so much from seeing how everyone interprets the challenge and I get to enjoy the beauty of everyone's art.Here is my tile for this week's challenge with a bit of Spring color.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you Lori.
*straight lined Keeko, shading leaves white spaces between sections
*lovely, loopy Echoism - notice how it ends (or begins!) with Lori's mark


From Vonnie Schneider (Minnesota) ~
Happy Easter to those that celebrate! I drew Peeps in Echoism and hid Jellybeans in the Zenith! All wrapped up in an Easter basket. After all the black and white tangles and the Easter theme, the colors came out to play. I don't know what was most fun, watching the tangles take life in pen or come to life in color! I also like that the string is hidden in the tangle (something I am working on). Thanks for a fun challenge!
Tangled Tidbits -
Now that makes me hungry!
*sweet, wimsical Echoism peeps
*zig zag runs through a festive Zenith variation


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Happy Easter everyone!
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed Zenith pairs and red dots repeat in Mel Mel and Echoism
*angular Echoism


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) ~
This tile struggled to come together and began as a real mess. My zenith was/is messy, I forgot to change the size of keeko at the edge of the egg shape, and I couldn’t manage to do much creative with Mel-Mel. This year, with my resolution not to “give up” on messy tiles, I marched on to the end trying to pay extra attention to the shading. (Don’t ask where the light was coming from, I have no idea!). As usual,the problems disappear when the shading is good. I find it very interesting now and though never perfect, I’m pleased with the result.
Thanks for including me! See you next week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for describing your process - the result is beautiful.
*pretty Zenith details - sparkled black perfs, aura, weighted lines, shading
*creative Echoism variations



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
...Happy Easter!
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura and color embellish Echoism
*Zenith and Keeko create pointed and rounded border edges


From Lynn Gotham (Florida) ~
With a Happy Easter wish for you and your family.
Tangled Tidbits -
*single Keeko string line
*green ties curves of Echoism in with graceful Mel Mel curls


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Hello everyone! I loved this challenge, I had so much fun decorating this egg! I couldn't resist the urge to add gems inside "Zenith's" triangles and I loved how "Mel Mel" looked beautiful in the egg's center, what a delicate beautiful tangle, thank you Adele!...in total it was a joy to create this little egg, so much fun and peace!-Greetings from Canada
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful dimension in shading, shadow, highlights, curves...
*delicate continuous line Mel Mel


A very warm welcome to Olivia Venter (Johannesburg, South Africa) ~
Hello form South Africa!
I discovered Tickle to Tangle a few months ago and have really loved all the challenges so far. This is the first time that I have had the courage to send my in.
Thank you so much for all the fun.
Tangled Tidbits -
*smooth, even loops of Echoism - size compliments the larger Mel Mel
*aura and detail lines
You are officially added to our tangled map, so happy you found us!



From CZT Ria Matheussen (Belgium) ~
Here is my entry for this lovely Eastern challenge. I have drawn on a white tile and coloured with ordinary colourpencils and a little touch of gold on that tiny piece of Zenith.
Thank you for always finding original challenges that I enjoy very much.
Kind regards from Belgium,
Tangled Tidbits -
*middle swath of Echoism between string lines
*three spring like blossoms of Mel Mel
*soft colors and shading


From Tonia Croce (Rhode Island)
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles take on Easter colors in the center egg shape
*center swath of Echoism with aura



From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Rain and more rain ... we're beyond saturated ... my wet-vacuum has earned its keep this week! And we're going to have a whole week of happy springtime sunshine.
This week's prompt brought so many possibilities ... going into the tile I thought mashing Echoism with Mel Mel, but my pen in hand had other ... there's a tile in my head!
Cheers to sunshine!
Tangled Tidbits -
...and I'm sure there is more than one :)
*awesome aura and Echoism in Zenith - lovely shading
*Mel Mel springs from points of Zenith


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
What a pleasure to meet Mel Mel again. Such a lovely organic tangle and so suitable for this time of year. You will not believe it but also in The Netherlands we have SPRINGTIME!!!!!!!! Yeah, love the sun.
Thank you for this challenge.
Happy Easter Days!
Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous Mel Mel along the angled string lines
*just a touch of Keeko and Echoism provide a frame


From Sra (India) ~
Here's a big egg for you!
I left out the Echoism but the rest of the tangles are there!

Tangled Tidbits -
*two little pops of Mel Mel in a pretty field of Keeko
*tangles highlight the string egg left white




From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (Germany) ~
HAPPY EASTER 🐣 to you Adele , your family and all the participants around the world 🌎!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Keeko flows with the curve, topped with Tipple and crowned with Zenith
*elegant Echoism and mirrored Mel Mel



From Michele Wynne (California) ~
I attempted to disguise the Easter egg as I'm not big on holiday themed tiles. It was going pretty well until I started to shade Keeko. There was no hiding this egg;-) That's when I went all Faberge on it! Happy Easter!
Tangled Tidbits -
"Faberge on it" - what a happy thought!  This was your very own egg hunt!
*glorious variation of Keeko - rounded lines, shading, highlight, and color
*Mel Mel tipped, detailed Zenith


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I hope you and your family have a very Happy Easter.
Here is my tile for the Easter challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*black and white egg against a colorful background - one emphasizes the other
*soft, multi-layered shading
*Mel Mel tipped Zenith


From Rhonda Roy (British Columbia, Canada) ~
Here is my answer to this week's challenge. I had planned to use all four tangles, but something told me to stop right when I did.Thanks for continuing to challenge us every week!

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderfully shaded Echoism filled egg
*two pretty versions of Zenith


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Having some fun with color! Happy Spring and Happy Easter, Everyone!

Tangled Tidbits -
*aura creates a pretty Zenith variation
*tangles shine in Spring colors


From Lovelygiraffe (Japan) and on Instagram ~
here is my tile for your weekly challenge.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Mel Mel corners and center - lovely variations
*shading gives Zenith great depth
*awesome aura


From Ann Gotowy (France) ~
hello from France
here is my entry for this week's challenge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely loop of Echoism engulfs Mel Mel
*softened edge of Keeko


From Kate Ahrens (Minnesota) ~
I am sending this to you anyway even though I did not make the cut off to wish you a very Happy Easter! I really had fun with this one, and went pretty straight forward with it, except my crazy over each other Echoism. Plans for this tile are to take it up to my Hubby in memory care this week, for a little Easter cheer. Have a great week and enjoy your Easter.
Tangled Tidbits -
This is sure to bring a smile to his face.
*layered Echoism, single line and angled Keeko
*deep, bright colors accent Mel Mel and Zenith


From Patricia (Switzerland) ~
I thoroughly enjoyed myself doing this challenge...only as I was doing the shading I remembered Keeko.....aah well another time!! It would have been good but I should have checked!
Adele I wish you and your family a joyful and delightful Easter!
Thank you the gorgeous tangles.
Warmest regards From Patricia in a warm Switzerland!!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a garden of Mel Mel grows in and around the string's egg
*fancy Echoism fill and fine lined Zenith along the string



From Sabine (Germany) ~
I know I'm late for this challenge, but I haven't time to sent it.
Now I would like to wish you and your family Happy Eastern with my tile. Have fun on your trip to Italy and take care.Best wishes from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful tangles fill the egg and black and white surround it
*deep shading and marvelous details
*five Mel Mel variations!


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Marla Mendenhall (California) ~


An old yellowed illustration of a decorated Ukrainian egg with a colorful wreath cut-out laid atop ... a piece of embroidered linen surrounded by a rattan frame ... an egg over which a background pattern has been imprinted ... or not, and just three tangle tiles with which I had tremendous fun this week. None of the patterns were new to me, but finding a way to put them all together was a great test.
Echoism on the egg in Tile #1 DID remind me of those wonderful, elaborate, hand-decorated eggs from Ukrainian artisans, although mine not nearly as wonderful or elaborate. (When I was young I took a class on their creation - drawing with heated wax using a small needle stylus, dying, wax removal, more drawing, more dying, removing ... yikes. If anyone has never seen these amazing eggs give them a Google, especially the vintage ones.) I set my egg on a bed of Keeko grass and surrounded it with a Zenith border. And - Spoiler Alert - the plain little egg in the upper left corner has sprouted legs! The Keeko frame for Tile #2 was great Zen time, and granted I'm no Bev Doolittle but I did try to "conceal" the egg by suggesting the shape with an Echoism vine. And Tile #3 is the result of a dream Friday night, and while I'm not certain I really pulled it off I did have fun trying.
Once again, a terrific challenge, Adele, and thank you for the whimsey of your Mel-Mel.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*speckled eggs adorn Zenith - and one is just hatching, yes I see him 😊
*Echoism filled egg, wonderfully highlighted
 *Keeko frame - fabulous corners
*vine-like Echoism variation
*simple and striking Zenith created with aura, weighted lines, and shading
*large and lovely Mel Mel
*elegant shading defines the egg string shape
*highlight adds even more dimension
*tangles run through the background and across the egg


Congratulations, Marla!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You have multiplied the Easter Joy.

Special thank you to Maria Thomas for her tangles Zenith, Keeko, and Echoism, that we used with my Mel Mel and string this week ~


Check out the details of "It's a String Thing" #192 and send in your tile!


I close with a note and photographs that I posted in April of 2013 (Link).  They are from IAST frequent contributor Juul from France.

This is her note that accompanied them:
Bonjour AdèleI'm sending you some photo's of my "tangletree" . Seeing your lovely eggs, I thought of my goose-eggs that I tangled on many years ago!Well that was long time before tangling was inveted actually.At the time I used a rotring pen and ink...I wish you a very nice easter time.Amicalementjuul






Aren't they lovely?

Thank you Juul for sharing your beautiful work.  May you enjoy a happy and healthy Easter!













No comments:

Post a Comment