Monday, October 31, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #168 Tiles

Happy Monday and Happy Halloween!

The results of our annual nod to the confection, Candy Corn (a.k.a. Cannie Corns in our home) just happens to fall directly on Halloween this year.  Yesterday was unofficially Candy Corn Day here in the U.S. and like most celebrations, the joy of it all is multiplied when the festivities are spread  out over a few days... To keep the spirit alive (pun intended), let's enjoy the tiles ~


The first arrived from Joan Delony, CZT (Florida) ~
I love this time of year and I love candy corn. Happy Fall!
Tangled Tidbits -
*tips of the string sections are one large Fang (that sounds funny doesn't it?!)
*Florz spider web


From Julie (North Carolina) ~
Here is my tile for this week. I hope all have a happy and safe Halloween.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*orb tipped Tira - notice the star effect created when the spaces around the center are darkened in
*Fang variation with single jagged lines


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
I love this week's challenge because I love candy corn! :) As a kid I used to eat them one small bite at a time, carefully eating each color.Thanks again for a great challenge with a fun string and a new pattern to try.
Tangled Tidbits -
Yes!  I remember doing the same thing - totally convinced that the white tips tasted the sweetest.
*irregular curves of Tira with filled spaces and sparkles round tips
*Florz shaded around each stoke makes it look raised
*Fang shaded toward the middles



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
I was inspired by Marla’s poem and pumpkin design a couple of weeks ago to practise folksy lettering. It seems to involve adding lots of dots to each letter. This week I found variations of Tira and Florz with dots. So I combined these and the result – a dotty piece of ZIA! Enjoy Halloween.
Tangled Tidbits -
That is sure to make Marla smile.
*dots repeat throughout
*each Tira is unique


From Renee (Tennessee) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*fancy Florz variation
* wispy finish to Tira gems
*shading and highlights add wonderful depth


From Rebecca I (Stamford, Connecticut) ~
Sadly I have been so busy lately that it has been hard to find time to tangle. But I could not resist the "Cannie Corn" challenge! :-) Nothing like a little happy tangling to put a smile on your face. Thanks Adele.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shimmery tangles in metallic
*dots repeat in Fang and Tira


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her blog ~
Here's my tile for this week's String Thing:

Tangled Tidbits -
*bold lined variations of Florz
*triangular and feathery variations of Tira
*happy highlights




From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) and creator of Tira ~
...I'm excited to see what others do with my little Tira tangle - attached is my tile. Thanks for the link to the official posting about Florz, it's so wonderful to be reminded of what Maria does with these seemingly simple tangles. I've tried building on one of her variations in the middle section of my Florz. Also a couple of little gems in Candy Cane colours! And lots of shading!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Florz variations beautifully blend
*multi lined Tira curve around Candy Corn colored gems - how fun!



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
I wasn't sure I was going to do this challenge. I didn't really like any of the tangles used but I kept trying and this didn't turn out the way I thought it would, not at all and I'm not unhappy with it thank you.
Tangled Tidbits -
...and most times, that is how we end up pleased with our tangles...
*lovely layers of Fang
*Florz rimmed and aura-ed string lines



From Gariela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
Hello everyone! This challenge was such a treat ;-) I had lots of fun. "Fang" was a new pattern to me and I really enjoyed playing with it, and of course, being Halloween I had to add a spider using the pattern" Tira" ;-) Thanks Adele for another great challenge :-)
Tangled Tidbits -
*little gem of a spider on a dotted Florz
*alternating layers  and colorization of Florz and Fang



From Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
I LOVE candy corn! My fave halloween treat. Fun to tangle these little sweeties.
Tangled Tidbits -
*sprinkling of Tira fill the background
*thick and thin lined Florz


From sra (India) ~
I wanted to send something last week, especially because I was touring Taiwan on work and I know that one of the tangles was by a CZT from there. I thought it would be a nice way of combining the trip and Zentangle and all that, but we were visiting 2-3 cities a day, sleeping late and leaving early, so I just couldn't make the time or summon the energy! I did listen to a few Buddhist chants I'd brought back from there while I was doing a part of this tile, though! Best of luck with your arts tour!
Tangled Tidbits -
...sounds like a fun and exhausting time.
*fine lined Fang
*perpendicular lines finish off Tira
*multiple angles of Florz



From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*dark lined Fang
*Tira dotted Florz
*vibrant candy corn colors



From Anita A Westin (Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Here comes my tile for IAST 168! Thank´s for a nice challenge and thank´s for introducing 2 patterns I haven´t tried Before!


Tangled Tidbits -
*three variations of Tira
*pretty line and orb border



From Jane Glotzer ( Boulder, Colorado) ~
Happy Halloween! Hope you have a ghoulishly fun holiday on Monday.
While I considered some orange-y watercolor wash for the Cannie Corns, I went back to my "usual" presentation, complete with a tucked in corner--:) for this week's challenge. Variations of Florz took over most of the spaces (love the spider web version!) and finished up with some Fang and a bunch of the very fun Tira--could draw those all day! Even some simple shading always adds so much!


Tangled Tidbits - 
*spiraled web Florz, thick lined rounded corners, and double rounded corner variations
*sparkled Fang fine lines



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
So Fang is fun to draw… :)
As always thank you and Happy Halloween!!!

Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous Fang details - black perfs, Printemps, reverse shading, light and dark...
*multiple sizes and variations of Tira - wonderful!




From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Thanks again for another challenging challenge. It took several attempts to get all of the patterns to play nicely in the string but once I wrangled Tira (a fun new-to-me pattern) into the ribbon, it all came together. Thanks for all you do:-D
Tangled Tidbits -
*Hollibaugh string lines filled to the brim with sparkled and highlighted tangles
*Tipple accented Fang
*three creative variations of Tira




From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) and a recent convert to our honored confection ~
I have to admit I have never understood the obsession with candy corns ... until last week at Book Group, the hostess had a bowl of little pumpkins made out of that same substance ... most of the evening I ignored them because I'm not really that much of a candy eater, but toward the end of the meeting I popped one into my mouth ... and then another, and another ...
I know that you drew the string to be asymmetrical ... and one of these days I will get out of my comfort zone ... but today it wanted to be symmetrical. I did at least make one candy corn fatter and one candy corn slimmer.
I love Florz ... reminds me of wallpaper at my grandmother's (I spent a bit of time this afternoon googling "vintage wallpaper" but haven't been able to find it). It was lines with red and black triangles, and if you unfocused your eyes a certain way you could make it three-dimensional.
I was having trouble with Tira until I noticed that the way you fill in where the U shapes join is similar to the way you make the diamonds in Florz. So I kind of did it backwards ... drawing a circle and lines emanating from the circle, and then the half-diamond shapes, and then adding more lines.
Until drawing it tonight, I never realized why Fang was called "fang." I have to admit, just now looking at my tile attached to your email, it's kind of scary looking!
Thank you! Happy Halloween!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Florz centered Tira - and a great connection about those tangles
*candy corn look to a smooth lined Fang



From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Two new patterns, one I've seldom used, a theme string ... who could ask for more?
In Tile One I tried to make the connects in the center Florz appear to be pyramids; not sure I accomplished it. Tile Two just sort of evolved, and I love when that happens (changing the light source from left to right helped with the shading too). And the Tile Three ZIA was JFF, with Tira morphing into spider and flies in a Florz web spun along the string line. My initial even got stuck on a strand!
Happy Festival to all who celebrate the abundance of harvest or things that go bump in the night and candy-demanding ghoulies.

Tangled Tidbits - 
 *common grid changes tangles in each string section
*fine lines repeat in the tangles
*Florz circular grid
*layered Fang, shaded definition
*three different Tira
*'buggy' Tira -  complete with bodies and wings - so fun!
*dashed and dotted lined Florz - shadow shaded



From Anna Houston, CZT 12 (British Columbia, Canada) ~
Hi Adele, I'm back! Here is my humble entry for this weeks challenge. I am officially "retired" now so have no more excuses not to participate. Thanks again for all you do.
Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back!
*spiraled, shadow shaded Florz
*Florz string lines



From Lily Moon (Hungary) and here on her Instagram ~
Dear Adele, here is my response for your weekly challenge:

Tangled Tidbits - 
*detailed Florz sections - notice how the shading effects the look
*dark Fang lines
*superb depth in shading



From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Thank you for another interesting challenge. While I enjoyed all of the tangles this week, I think the results look like a bad nightmare. Oh well...I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's efforts.
Enjoy that Candy Corn. It sounds good.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*tangles swirl around circular Florz grid
*Tira separates rows of Florz




From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Looking forward to see what my fellow tangers did.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*corner Tira
*alternating Fang and Florz



From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...Summer’s here and we have experienced the warmest October in years. We are definitely in for more El Nino and all that it brings this Summer.
Anyway, challenge 168 made me contemplate somewhat. Tira and Florz were new to me, but they are versatile and I enjoyed them. With Halloween in mind I went with Florz as a spiderweb in the background and Cannie Corn string shapes as the focus using Tira to fill the one shape and the second Cannie Corn filled as a more airy shape bordered by Fang, to envelop the first shape. The centres of Tira worked well as jems in Cannie Corn colours. Perhaps a bit busy in the end.
Happy week to you and all the fellow tanglers.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Candy Corn colored gems
*two variations of a multi-lined Tira
*sparkled Fang



From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
Iconic candy corn ... it calls us all to Halloween's tricks and treats.
And this week's prompt was such a treat! It's always fun when one tangle grows out of another. I love Ragged Ray's Tira tangle and will be using it a lot!Cheers to calorie-free tangled candy corn!
Tangled Tidbits - 
...that is a wonderful calorie-free thought and I love the frame :)
*sparkled Fang and Tira
*spiraled Florz - shaded along the spiral


And now...
the tile for honors this week...
was sent in by...
first time participant, Lisette (Switzerland) ~
I'm Lisette Hofer from Switzerland and this is my first IAST.
A big hug and thank you for all you are doing!

Tangled Tidbits -
*interlocking Fang rimmed string lines - beautiful balance of colors,shading, highlights
*web like Florz
*spidery Tiras creeping over Fang


Congratulations and welcome, Lisette!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

A huge thank you to all of the contributors to this week's challenge.
Please know that I appreciate and treasure your kindnesses and encouragements as well. 

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangled we used this week along with my string:

Florz by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas, Zentangle® founders

Tira by Ragged Ray

Fang by Celia Norman


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #169!












2 comments:

  1. Wow - what a wonderful selection - I loved seeing how people used my Tira tangle - each adding something different.

    And what a wonderful first tile from Lisette!

    And sorry I said Candy Cane when I meant Candy Corn - I'm getting my American sweets mixed up - and Candy Cane isn't due for a month or two yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we do have more sweets than we can keep up with!
    Congratulations on such a versatile tangle - so happy to know that you loved how everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete