Tuesday, April 14, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #87 Tiles


Simple and elegant are two words that describe this week's tiles.  We used just two tangles and a diamond shaped string line.  Simple components yielded elegant results.
Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Vicky Brison in Montana ~
I love how this turned out! Loop ended up up being part of my string which I'm pretty
happy with.

Tangled Tidbits -
*addition of beautiful tangles in the alternating spaces of Loop
*sparkled background of 'Brella



From Ilse Lukken ~
Thanks for another nice challenge with two lovely patterns! Loop and Brella: they were new to me as well, and I really like them! Hope you like the result too ;-)
You can find it on my blog as well.

Tangled Tidbits -
*superbly shaded tangles
*boxes of 'Brella in the corners add a cross-like white space
*dark centers for Loop

From Joyce Evans ~
I started with a watercolour wash on watercolour paper. I used some road salt when the colour was drying for texture. In the Brella I filled in some of the lines with an orange pen to bring out some of the Orange from the wash background. I did some line shading in the loop.
You can see all my 1000+ Zentangles on my blog thehappytangler
Tangled Tidbits -
*nice thick lines for Loop
*detail lines add dimension in Loop


From Cheryl Stocks ~
Attached should be my challenge response. It totally had its own mind. I added a smattering of Meringue and Zingers with a couple loose um...'Brellas.

Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely Loop in the center
*similar space width for each tangle gives a uniform look


From Sue Agnew ~
Loop kept reminding me of a pattern I really like but couldn't remember the name of ... so ... I went through my entire folder of printed-out patterns ... you're welcome ... when I got to it (it was Mi2) I was like "whew, I only had to go through half of the folder" but then I was having so much fun looking at all of them, I kept going through the Zs.
For this one I just drew the rice shapes, not the diamonds. I wanted to try linking several, and having the diamonds drawn made it a little too confusing for me (it was plenty confusing as it was ... but absorbing ... which is the point, right?) When I was practicing, the center squares allowed more room for 'Brella, but I didn't want to draw the whole thing all over again, so I just put mini-Brellas.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a very creative alternative step out for Loop
*little bits of 'Brella poking through
*great shading


From Talia Maynard ~
Another interesting challenge, thank you. I really like both of the new tangles, and there's so much room for variation in both of them. I found that the tile led itself to a geometric design and I can imagine something similar adorning old fashioned fire places or kitchens!
Tangled Tidbits -
*great dots! - black and white
*fabulous mix of white, dark, and lined spaces


From Debra Schuman ~
Thanks again for all you do to provide this challenge. I love your comments and all of the extremely beautiful submissions.






Tangled Tidbits -
*she was very busy :), four wonderful variations on the theme
*a great study for how these tangles can be used to create many different looks


A very warm welcome to Bhamathi Pai ~
Here's my tile for this week's challenge. I loved learning both the tangles especially 'Brella.
I have attached...my tile and also included [it] on my blog.

Tangled Tidbits -
*spheres of 'Brella
*elegant Loop and fabulous 'Brella




From Susan Theron ~
Attached my contribution. I enjoyed this and like Brella and I've also used Crescent Moon by Zentangle
Also on my blog:

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a double Loop!
*a pretty frame of 'Bella


A very warm welcome to Sarah Antoinette ~
My first hard try at such a complex tangle. It's very challenging and I enjoyed learning a lot by trying. [on my blog]

Tangled Tidbits -
*outstanding 'Brella background
*lovely Loop


From Emily Shelton ~
This is also [here].
I had already tried Loop and had given up on it when I read your weekly challenge. But when I tried again, it suddenly fell into place! Now that I've got it, I'm going to give the double Loop variation a shot...but not today.
With so many lines in Loop, I opted for a streamlined version to 'Brella. I added Drupe (Zentangle(r)) in the center. After I finished Drupe, I realize I've been doing it all wrong, but there's no mistakes, right??? I also tried to shade Drupe to look like it was popping up from under its Loop confines, but I don't think I quite managed.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful reminders, thank you!
*shading is very effective



From Magdalene Lee~
I enjoyed the simplicity of this week's tile very much. Using just two tangles in a string with few borders felt luxurious! I think my tile resembles a frog somewhat, don't you? I've posted the tile on my blog as well.


Tangled Tidbits -
*quite a frog! - and a masterfully sparkled and darkened tangle
*Loop inside of Loop


From Sandra who sends "many greetings from Germany" ~
thanks for your nice challenge :-) Both patterns were new to me and I really like to tangle them!
On my blog you can find the tile here.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*zigzag look for 'Brella
*wonderful highlights


From Carmela ~
This week wen I saw the new pattern Loop I practiced this with 4 loops in my tangle agenda.
Now you made it the challenge of the week. I decided to make it with 8 loops and i love it.
It let me think of Auraknot wich i also like.
Then I made in al 4 corners Brella, but I don’t like it and I tired it apart.
Then I started a new tile and so i could practice it twice.
My blog

Tangled Tidbits -
*a delightful double Loop!
*shading at the narrow ends of each loop


From Daniel Lamothe~
As soon as you said that you made the string especially for Loop, I just had to be perverse and only use Brella ^_^


Tangled Tidbits -
*a monotangle of 'Brella
*shading defines the border, middle, and four sections




From Lucy Banta ~
Gorgeous day here in NJ! It's beginning to feel like Florida! :-)
I loved your choice of tangles this week, and your string pattern. I feel there are lots of possibilities, and I hope to experiment more this week.
Here's the link to my blog post.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful touches of aura, tipple, and perfs
*striking center section


A very warm welcome to Donna Symons from State College, Pennsylvania ~
This is the first time I've submitted anything. I really enjoyed figuring out both versions of Loop.This was done in my sketchbook and seems overworked in the photo. Shading continues to be an on going challenge.Thanks for all your good work. I've learned so much!

Tangled Tidbits -
*very pretty Loop - great shading
*rows of 'Bella for a background


From Ingrid Coventon ~
This week's challenge was fun to play with. Great tangle patterns, both new to me. I am pleased how it turned out, maybe a little static, but that's ok.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*fantastic double Loop
*clever way the grid of 'Brella 'meets' Loop leaving wonderful white space
*shading on either side of each dark line in 'Brella



From Jodi.~
This was lots of fun! I couldn't resist adding some gold Gelly Roll bits once the tangle started looking vaguely Egyptian.

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautifully detailed tile
*larger loops for Loop
*wonderful variation of 'Brella



From Jane Glotzer -
Not too much springtime rain around here, but I gave my Brella some dotted lines to suggest some showers...used the simpler string and filled the center area with a singular Loop...some shading and dark background for the "window" and I had a quick, sweet and simple duotangle.

Tangled Tidbits -
*dashed lines for 'Brella
*super shading


From Cat Trask ~
I'm back! It's been a tough few months, but hopefully things have settled a bit now.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a warm welcome back!
*simple Loop, elegant look


From Shayn Penna ~
I just loved both tangles you chose for your string this week ... a perfect match up. I'll be working with both tangles a lot. Have a great week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*large double Loop
*cleverly tucked 'Brella between loops


From Michele Wynne~
Great challenge! I really liked the look of "Loop" once I finally got a grip on it. I kept it super simple and just let some shading give it a little dimension. I resisted the urge to add color. I may go back and do it later. You can see it here on my blog too.


Tangled Tidbits -
*a dynamic double Loop, shaded to the center and graced with dark, sparkled loops
*simple, effective 'Brella


From Audrie Wiesenfelder ~
...There were a lot of ways to embellish both Loop and 'Brella, but I ended up keeping it simple, maybe too simple. I'm finding that I don't seem to be quite as inventive as some others. But I guess it's a little late to change at this point in life.
And here it's also on my blog: PurpleButterfly


Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous Loop, complete with shading
*a border of 'Brella - very clever!



From Portia Hyde ~
I started out with something different in mind but this is where it went!


Tangled Tidbits ~
*absolutely stunning Loop
*superb shading and striping



From Annemarie (and here on her blog)~



Tangled Tidbits ~
*wonderful Renaissance shades
*various sizes of 'Brella
*aura!


From Felicity Strohfeldt, a fascinating story as told by her and shown in her first tile ~

First some news. This year we really had an a fascinating and blessed Eastertime experiencing the miracle of Creation in the Rigtersveld Transfrontiers Park, the north west part of the Namaqualand on the border of Namibia and SA. It’s semi- desert to desert. Mountainous, very rocky and sandy, extremely dry landscape and terrain, yet it teems with miraculous flora and fauna. Although a desert area, the Rigtersveld has the mighty Orange River running through it. We camped right next to the water for 5 nights. During the heat of the day (36 degrees and up at this time of year, over 50 degrees in Summer) we fell into the cool waters to escape the worst. The river teems with fish, luckily no crocodiles! A place of strange formations and strange plants, I was inspired to tangle my impression of the iconic Rigtersveld Pachypodium namaquanum (Half Mens/Half Human) cacti, growing along the ridges in the park. This strange plant grows to about 3m in height and is topped by an Afro of curly succulent leaves and a centre of the flowers that turn from yellow to and orange red as they open, the stem is covered in rows of thorns that discourage any animal to eat it. The legend says that ancestors or the San people were driven south by warlike black tribes centuries ago and as they crossed the Orange River they looked back towards the north and were turned into “Half Humans”, hence the tendency of this plant to always turn its crown slightly to the north. The tangle depicts the rocky dry area, dusty 4x4 roads, the flora and the life-giving river. I used tangles I felt work with the subject:Rain, Riverstones, Tearce, Verve, Lichen, River.


Now for tile no 87. This week I used A Micron ink pen no. 1 in Sepia and Black. Definitely made for a softer approach. Miraculously I mastered Loop on the first try. Brella was more challenging, hence the variations, not mistakes, here and there. Decided to enhance Loop with a ghost-like background of itself. All in all satisfying. Thank you for a lovely string. My blog 


Tangled Tidbits - 
*a double Loop center with great light and dark spaces
*a shadow of Loop penciled and softened
*alternating rows of 'Brella variations


From Cathy Cusson ~
Here you go! I worked on this earlier in the week, but didn't get around to writing my blog. I love these two tangles. I don't think my placement of loop is going to be very original, but I do really like how it turned out and it was SO much fun. [my blog]

Tangled Tidbits -
*a narrow and delicate center Loop
*rows of 'Brella - one light, one darker


From Traci~
No need to post another late entry. Just wanted to share it with you...Excellent string and new tangles to play with.

Tangled Tidbits -
*ingenious pattern placement yields a star
*beautifully simple tangles, fabulous result



And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Ragged Ray (a.k.a. Jem) of the UK!

She wrote ~
I had a great time with the challenge this week. You know when it all just falls into place? When the pen seems to lead you where it wants to go. Where you don't notice time passing. When you don't have to think as to how to use the string, because it just cries out for four Loop sections. And you don't have make decisions where to fit a tangle in, suddenly there are perfect spaces just waiting for 'Brella. And the dark and the light balances out. And the shading too. And you look at the tile when you're done and not only like how it looks but love how it felt to get there too. All that and more!


Tangled Tidbits -
*a beautifully worded, Zentangle® experience
*four Loop tangles that follow the string and create their own focus
*layers of 'Brella tucked under Loop


Congratulations, Jem!  I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Thank you to everyone for sending in your wonderful tiles this week.

Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used along with my string ~


Loop by Amelie Liao, CZT
and
'Brella by Bunny Wright, CZT


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #88!






















1 comment:

  1. There are so many great artists that did this challenge. I'm really inspired and hope I can someday draw the beautiful pieces I saw here. Incredible! Sarah

    ReplyDelete