Monday, April 8, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #285 Tiles

As CZT Kate Ahrens said so well in her note below, we were "dingblatzing" away this week creating tiles that featured Dingblatz, the fun, loopy, tangle filled phenomena by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Marjan Heemskerk (The Netherlands) ~
Dingsplatz is one of my favourite tangles and this is the last one I made. I used the tangles Meer, Maryhill and Ipso. I loved the idea of using it on my jeans but the idea of explaining every time what it is.......:)


From Robin Steinback (Ohio) ~
I was so excited when I saw this weeks’ challenge. I watched Maria’s video on these a while ago and fell in love, haven’t stopped making them since.
This one I used rain and pepper primarily with a handful of chubby orbs. I had so much fun!! Thanks...


From Yorkshire Tortoise (Ireland) ~
As soon as I saw the string for this week I knew I wanted to use Jetties with it. The dingsplatz always make me think of inkblots so I had to add drips of ink :-)


From Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I have been obsessed with #tunnelvision and even posted one with #dingsplatz a few days ago on Zentangle Mosaic. My approach was a bit different this time by having them emerge (I suspect they hide in the ground) from #cubine. Crescent moons are rising in the little loopy windows on the edges of the dingsplatz. I’m now temporarily putting the tunnelvizion to bed for a spring nap.


From Gill Green (Israel) ~
This is what I love about Zentangle, something so amazing from something so simple! I really wanted to do last week's challenge but between my daughter giving birth to our first grandchild last week and my other daughter getting married in 2 weeks I didn't have much time. But when I saw the dingsplatz I just had to do it. I know mine's not very original but as you say, it's a good way to learn. I think this will be my go to tangle for quite a while, so many possibilities.
 Congratulations, Gill!

From Kate Ahrens, CZT IX (Minnesota) and here on her blog ~
I had not gotten around to doing any Dingsplatz when they first came out on the Kitchen Table Tangles so this was a good excuse to work on some. I really love doing them and haven’t been able to stop “Dingsplatzing” around! They are just so fun to do. I am attaching the bunch that I have done so far, you can choose to use one or all.
I have some on my blog...
Have a great week, and Tangle On!





From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
I love this string. Sketched out several to see what I wanted to do on this one. I’ll probably have several pages of doodles to pick out what to put in the strings. I think I’ll try a minimalist one next. My brain has a hard time with blank space! Dear brain: In some cases less is more.


From Anita A Westin, CZT (Dalarna, Sweden) and here on her blog ~
Long time no seen, but I sure have been tangling. Thank you for this fun challenge. I love Dingsplatz! So here is my tile! More in my blog...


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
I had a lot of fun with ‘Dingsplatz’ I have dingsplatz everywhere J
Attached are two for ‘ It’s A String Thing # 285’ Challenge
My first one is a combination of Rick’s and Maria design from the video,
The second one is my own design, looking forward to seeing everyone’s take on this fun challenge.

 From Lisette, CZT 32 (Switzerland) ~
Dingsplatz is such a great pattern, I’ve drawn it several times. First I thought I’ll send one of the already tangled tiles. But as I love it so much I decided to draw a new one. I’m looking forward to all those funny Dingsplatz.
Hugs from Switzerland - it’s springtime!!!


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for this wonderful versatile challenge! A second tile one can find on my blog under the link...
A happy weekend to you and your family!
Best wishes from Germany


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
In a week of domestic trial and tribulations (including a week without heating and hot water culminating in a new boiler) there hasn't been much chance to tangle. But today offered a window of opportunity - and your Challenge the perfect invitation to make the most of it. To tangle along with R&M as I watched their video, and played with Dingsplatz for the very first time in my sketchbook. Then, on a tile pre-splattered with spring colour, Bunzo, Betweed and a sort of Fracas were what naturally occurred as I let go of thought and merely followed where my pen wanted to go! How relaxing, and fun at the same time!



From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
I used a different size of tile for this challenge.
I first drew, then applied shadow, then cut out the pattern and finally added some color.
Very nice to do and I am very curious about all the results!


From Talia Maynard (London, United Kingdom) ~
For some reason I found this challenge quite difficult. Having so much freedom in the string and the tangles to use kind of paralysed me a bit! I decided to use tangles I'm familiar with and some random shapes. I'm looking forward to seeing how other people have interpreted the challenge.



From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
My DingsplatZ is filled with three of my Ohl-time favorite tangles by CZT Carole Ohl ... Inapod , Gommi, and Unyun. I added CZT Margaret Bremner’s Beadline, along with Perfs and Aura ... my three favorite enhancers.
Hats off to the playful DingsplatZ and three cheers to Carole Ohl!


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
It’s been several weeks since I’ve been able to do your challenge. My husband has been ill with after effects from chemo and radiation. He’s slowly recuperating, so this week I found enough time to work on this.
 Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dear husband, Hilary.


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I enjoyed the big splat so much, I decided to add two small ones. Then I was left with a lot of space around them and "should I fill the space or should I not?". I was running out of time so I decided to just add some lines and call it done. We are going to visit our son on one of the gulf islands for two weeks. Same lovely place as last year. We leave on Tuesday. Spring in their part of BC comes earlier than it does here so I am looking forward to seeing some blossoms and spring flowers.


From Ingird (The Netherlands) ~
This is my tile # 285 for this week.
Loved playing with Dingsplatz.
Not enough time/energy to work things out or play with another one.
Have a blessed week and lots of love... Finally we have some lovely sunny weather today. Love this.


From Sue (Hampshire, United Kingdom) ~
This week’s tangle. I really enjoyed dingsplatz and found Mumsy much easier this time! It’s a lovely spring day here in Hampshire UK, let’s hope there’s a few more to come.




From Judy Wanner, CZT (Pennsylvania) ~
...this was a fun Splat. The wine, pretty fun too!


From JoAnne (Ontario, Canada) ~
Really enjoyed DingsplatZ!


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
A bijou tile this week. I found the bigger version a bit too much like doodling rather than tangling, but I think the bijou size is really quite sweet.



From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Today, we had a really Spring day and have eaten outside for the
first time this year. There are lots of blossoms appearing on the
trees and we hear the birds singing everywhere...
To give my tile a bit a "Springlook" I chose to fill my "dingsblatz"
with the pattern Field of Flowers. I used ordinary colourpencils to finish.
I like "dingsblatz" and enjoyed this pleasant challenge very much.
Thank you Adele for always giving interesting challenges and the
wonderful presentation of all the entries.
I wish you a beautiful Sonday and send you warm regards from Belgium


From Gabi (Germany) ~
Here is my version of DINGSPLATZ.
Seawave, printemps, a variation of footlites and some tranzending over a failed pattern - “elegantly” hidden under some silver...


From Kathy Millard (Prince George, British Columbia, Canada) ~
Hopefully the picture arrives. This week I tried taking a photo of my "dingbatz" as my husband was busy on the computer. I enjoyed this weeks challenge with the lovely loopy string to work within. It seemed to speak to me of freedom and escaping from the confines of the string. Again thank you Adele for the inspiration.


From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
I fell in love with Dingsplatz the first time I saw it! I’ve drawn it many times with many different embellishments. Here’s my latest! Thanks for choosing it for this week’s challenge


From Moblue (Bremen, Germany) ~
see enclosed my contribution for IAST # 285.
Never had so much fun when tangling. This surely will be my favorate pattern, at least for a while.....


From Jane Rhea, CZT (Indiana) ~
What a fun challenge this week! I’d forgotten how delightful it is to tangle a dingsplatz. I no sooner finished the outline of the splat when my cat jumped up on the table and sat right down in the middle of my tile. I guess he wanted to help and blot the ink! Too bad he didn’t stay put because I think his tail would have been great for blending the white charcoal!
White jelly-roll pens, (various sizes) tipple, weighted lines and a bit of pastel pencil in the background make up what was used for this dingsplatz.
Wishing you and the IAST community a wonderful week!



From Lynn F. (Florida) ~
What a beautiful day for tangling today.
I learned a lot from watching Maria and Rick’s video. I used Rick’s idea of a thick line and then followed most of Maria’s first example.
I’m happy with how it turned out. Thanks for another fun challenge.


From Ginger (California) ~
No doubt when my eyes can focus again I'll be able to see the misdrawn lines, or uneven fill-ins. This sinus infection has affected my life in so many ways this week.
 Feel better soon!


From Cyndee Pelley, CZT (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Greetings from Oklahoma! There's just nothing I enjoy more than Rick and Maria and their Kitchen Table Tangles series. The great part is they are just like that in person. I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge! Took me back to CZT 32!



From T. ~
This week’s challenge was a challenge, but it was an interesting one.
It took a while after drawing the Dingsplatz string to decide what to do next.
Because you did not provide the patterns for us to use, I struggled to decide which to choose.
When I stopped thinking about it and finally put my pen down to draw, my favourite – and most often used – patterns showed up: Sand Swirl, Printemps, and Tipple.
Thanks for another interesting challenge.


From Antony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
Here's my entry. Thanks for the fun challenge and the opportunity to learn new tangles all the time.


This is my tile.  I was determined to complete one and did so just in the nick of time.  It was much needed Micron time in the midst of many outside obligations.  Twenty minutes of "Ahhhhh..." with no worries about how it would turn out...


Thank you everyone for your beautiful tiles and dear notes.   I can safely say that Dingsplatz is a crowd favorite.  Thank you Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas. 

Tomorrow's post will feature the tiles from IAST #286 followed by our very next challenge. 
That is a lot of exciting news for one day - be sure to check back!

Much love to all!


No comments:

Post a Comment