Monday, April 9, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #237 Tiles

The first note this week came from Tabitha Bedoukian herself, the creator of the two tangles we used in IAST #237.  Tabitha said that she was "delighted and honoured" to have her tangles Kaboom and Kulacane chosen for this week's IAST while anxious to know if they are liked.
After this week's glorious display, I can confidently say the answer to that is a resounding YES!

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Hilary (Chicago, Illinois) ~
I chose to follow your string and to use only Kaboom. Both patterns you chose were great, and I’m eager to see everyone's work once again. I always look forward to Wednesday mornings!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*two bursts of Diva Dance filled Kaboom
*colorful backdrop


From Lily (Hungary) ~
Often when I see your string and tangle patterns I'm sighing: " My God, this will be difficult to solve... what do I do with these?" That's what happened now too. Eventually, however, I succeed in creating something. Thanks for the challenge!
Zenhug
 Tangled Tidbits -
Don't you just love the tangling process?!
*shades of grey and brown accentuate five different variations
*weighted lines, highlights, and rounded corners for Kulacane


From Ria Mathuessen, CZT (Belgium) ~
This was a very pleasant one, in the beginning I didn't know how to manage and have drawn the string very pale. When Kaboom was appearing, I knew how to go further. As you can see, I have made the string more stronger (with a green gellypen) on the left side. On the right sight, the string is not visible anymore, caused by the shadowing and the tortillon. I brought a little bit of colour into the drawing for giving this tile a real Springfeeling.
I wouldn't make a tile with only these two patterns but thanks to you I did it and enjoyed it very much, thank you,
Warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Kaboom explodes in color, sparkle, and shape
*curved ends of Kulacane



From Baafke (The Netherlands) ~
Last Sunday I saw these 2 patterns in the newsletter of TanglePatterns.com and I decided not to put them in my personal collection of patterns yet.
Funny that I now encounter them here, and yes I have now added them....
Enclosed the result.
When I finished drawing I saw that the string was completely gone.
That does not happen to me that often.
I thought this was a nice challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*tangles filled with tangles - how fun!
*Kaboom tucks under a Kulacane corner


From Sherry Conte (Sanford, Florida) ~
I really loved doing this tangle. It’s stretched me which is why I love these challenges. Both of these patterns were new to me. I wanted to do something about the blank spaces but I didn’t want to overdo it so I left it alone.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty tangles and lovely white space
*Kaboom and Kulacane flow from the string lines



A very warm welcome to Amy L (Connecticut) ~
I have been tangling for 2 years now and am taking CZT training in the fall. A friend told me about this blog and I am enjoying the challenges. I included two tangles from last week’s challenge here, too. I am loving the way it stretches me to try out new tangles. So much fun! Thanks!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*burst of Kaboom, lightly shaded
*happy mix of tangles wrapped in a Zenith border
How very exciting that you will soon be a CZT, congratulations!  Welcome to our IAST community and welcome to our Tangled Map , Amy ~



From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
I managed to get this one done pretty quickly. Both really fun patterns by Tabitha.
Hope you are warming up in FL because we definitely aren’t in NY! Ha ha..snow is actually forecasted for Friday and next week. Oh well.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...if I could only mail this warm sunshine to you, I would!
*doubled, tangle filled string lines - great perspective as they narrow toward Kaboom
*multiple and varied details for Kaboom


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
I started with some ideas in mind, to focus just on Kaboom, to have it bursting out from the places where your string intersects, to have various wonderful fills. But when I started drawing things took a different direction. I listened, I followed - and this is where we ended up. With a tangle that is Kaboom, but also Kulacane. With the tangle pouring along the string lines, curving with it sometimes. And then when I'd finished, when I'd rounded and shaded and signed - I see two strangely feathered dancers reaching for each other.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...how fine a pair of dancers they are!
*wonderful morphing of Kaboom and Kulacane
*dark and light aura and shading for the entire tangle


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
We had a really strong and wild wind blow through for a few hours on Wednesday. Some tiles blew off our roof. Still waiting for the roofers to come and fix them. They are very busy. Many fences also blew down, luckily not ours. So, Kulakanie was an apt tile. I can't find an accent on my iPad for the "e" so I put in an "i" to make the pronunciation right. I love KaBoom. Reminds me of the first attempt to land the first stage from a rocket onto a drone ship. It failed and the word Elon Musk used to describe the failure was KaBoom. So I used orange and red for the explosion. I did two tiles both were fun. This is the second. The first one looked a bit busy. Thanks for this challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...and that is a very fun description, thank you.
*Kaboom bursting in color and detail
*Tipple corners and details



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
thank you for your last challenge. I did enjoy it very much to tangle the given patterns. I send you my second tile, the first one you can find on my blog under the link
Best wishes from Germany

Tangled Tidbits - 
*curved lines lend movement to Kaboom
*tower of Kulacane compliments curvy Kaboom


A very warm welcome to Gabi (Germany) ~
Also want to join the string thing community... first try with KABOOM - that’s a dangerous pattern! It wants to take all the space :))
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
* rounded strokes tip Kaboom and repeat in Primtemps and Zinger, along with the string
*scrumptious shading
Welcome to our IAST community and to our Tangled Map, Gabi!



From Barbara Steyer (Germany) ~
here comes my tile with these beautiful patterns. It was a pleasure to try both!
Thank you for the pretty string.
Sunny greetings from Germany and have a nice weekend
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Kaboom glows in yellow and sparkle
*Kulacane moves across the tile in three directions



From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for this week’s ‘ It’s A String Thing #237’ Challenge.
Two new tangles for me, I enjoyed both of them, lots of fun
Thank you, Adele.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*doubled and tapered, tangle filled string lines
*overlapping in both tangles accentuated by wonderful shading and details



From Lin H, CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for your latest challenge. Your string kept me stumped for awhile and I finally decided to just let it go. Both tangles were new to me and it was fun embellishing them. Hope you’re enjoying your Spring season.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded background lines add even more movement to the tangles
*touches of black add even more depth



From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*orb/line combinations
*lovely variety of finishes for Kabooma and Kulacane sections



From Sra (India) ~
Here’s my entry for the week. I couldn’t figure out Kaboom though I thought I had, but I don’t think it looks too bad.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a wonderful Kaboom!
*Kulacane fills in from the top and from the bottom



From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
Trudi wrote to say that she is recovering after cancer surgery.  Please join me in wishing her well and sending prayers for a speedy recovery.  It is good to know that she is able to tangle as she improves.
... No pain but I've had good days and bad since it takes a lot out of you.
Thank you for providing us with these wonderful Challenges.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*string sections filled with fields of colorful Kaboom and Kucalane
*focal point of large Kaboom


From Shelly St. John (Redwood City, California) ~
I really enjoyed this week’s string and tangles. It’s fun to pick and choose which additional tangles to use. I’m really starting to look forward to “new string Tuesdays”
Thanks Adele!
 Tangled Tidbits -
...I like that name "new string Tuesdays" - thank you!
*happy mix of tangles
*floral details for Kaboom


From Jennifer St. John (San Mateo, California) ~
My sister Shelly and I had fun again with the string this week. Thanks so much!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Knightsbridge filled Kaboom packs a visual punch
*Kulacane border


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
I enjoyed playing with both of these tangles this week. I think it's "literal week" because Kulecane kept reminding me of a cityscape ... so I played with ideas and then got bogged down in too much realism. So then I experimented with doing the pattern both directions instead of just up (if that makes sense) ... starting in the middle rather than at an edge ... and it reminded me of something laced. So I exaggerated that effect and ended up with sheets of decorative paper laced together. (Did I mention it's Literal Week.)
Thank you for another fun week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*mirrored Kulacane, detailed as whole sections - how fun!
*delightful details - all 'wrapped' in ribbon


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) and here on her blog ~
Hello from Oklahoma!
Thanks for another great challenge this week! I really enjoyed both tangles and they were so easy draw and embellish, they were truly zenful! Thanks to Tabitha for 2 great tangles!
Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty variations of Kulacane and Kaboom
*detail lines, dots and Tipple accents



From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Interesting tangles this time! I had fun filling in the swatches with some of my favorite tangles. I love the string and hope to use it again with different tangles.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...and how fun that the Kaboom makes its own string
*overlapping horizontal and vertical Kulacane
*larger Kaboom filled with tangles


From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) ~
Have recently been playing around with the combined black and white tile idea that ZentangleHQ presented last holiday season...actually have been obsessed--:)...such fun...and was waiting for a good IAST to try it with.
This seemed like a worthy candidate, since part of your string bisected the tile in two...I cut along that line and continued from there...
...and it turned out much more like my usual style than my last couple of submissions...a monotangle, with just the Kaboom version, although Kulacane is very kool too--:) and a lot of empty space... shading and a double line frame finish it off...I really love the combo of white on black and black on white in the same tile...
Tangled Tidbits -
*oh so pretty light/dark combination
*double lined border frames Kaboom



From Nor'dzin (Wales, United Kingdom) ~
Spring seems to have arrived at last in Wales. The tangles immediately told me where they should go with this one. The finished tile looks a bit like a futuristic city to me!
 Tangled Tidbits -
It does!
*Kulacane covered string lines
*detail lines and grid in string sections add amazing dimension


From Di (Western Australia) ~
Enclosed is my finished IAST #237. At first, as usual, I had no idea how to start. So I just put pencil to paper to see what would evolve and the pencil wanted to do raggedy lines on Kulakane. Then I thought that it looked kinda watery so I added some wavy lines. This suggested an underwater current and so I smudged it all a little and my underwater theme developed. The shell came out of a semi-circular KaBoom and it was only then that I remembered the string. The string? Hmm. How can I fit my rudimentary sketch into the string? The best fit came when I turned the string 90 degrees anti-clockwise, and I then very loosely followed its outline. The mermaid in the background's scales are Kulakane though you can't tell as they are very small and smudged.
I had a lot of fun creating this scene. Tom has titled it Mermaid's Garden.
Wishing you, your family, and all the other tanglers a great week!
 Tangled Tidbits -
...that was a happy tale - thank you for taking us on that journey.
*jagged lines of Kulacane - notice the penciled lined tangle for added depth
*Kaboom makes a lovely shell


From Verena (Germany) ~
I keep it simple. Sunny greatings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*simple and elegant tangles
*Kulacane filled string lines that morph with Kaboom


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
A fun challenge with a fun duck, compliments to Dorian Eng
 Tangled Tidbits -
*center, tangle accented Kaboom - with a delightful duck :)
*Kulacane, rounded and shaded


From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Started this challenge not sure what it would look it and it eventually looked like a poofy flower (in an orientation different from the original 'upright')! The magic of zentangle (and rotating your tile)!
Rainbows and raindrops in sunny Singapore
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Mooka accent for a Kaboom 'flower'
*dimension added with a smattering of radiating detail lines and soft shading


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Hope you are all well there, far over the seas. Some slightly positive news from Velddrif. We had a reasonably good bout of rain, Thursday last week. Of course, it was only an extended shower, but we are very grateful for every drop that falls. Date for day zero is still 15 May. The rest of the country is having downpours and extreme weather. Our province will take many years to recover from this terrible drought.
Challenge 237 was great this week. Tabitha’s pattern Kaboom is a pattern that is easily mastered giving lively results. I will investigate different ways of using Kaboom in future zen artwork. Kaboom seems to explode, so my tile has one and a half explosions and I’ve used the fillers Onamato, Fescu and Tipple all old Zentangle Originals favourites used often. Kulacane appeared as, perhaps delicate tubes , containers for more fireworks. I enjoyed this challenge. Thank you, Adele. Looking forward to seeing all the efforts from the week’s participants.
 Tangled Tidbits -
...taking every bit of good news we can!
*glorious details and shading - Onomato shines
*wonderfully detailed Kaboom flows with the string's curves


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Kaboom and Kulane were a lot of fun to play with. I added Diamant by Mariet Lustenhouwer to Kaboom; to Kulane I added Mofins by CZT Betsy Wilson and the official tangle, Mssst.
I debated which orientation to hold the tile ... a 180 degree turn to the tile was a bit realistic for me ... it suggested a palm tree with a city scape background.
Cheers to another fun prompt and to Tabitha Bedoukian for two tangles I’ll be adding to my play list.
Links:
Diamant Mofins
 Tangled Tidbits -
..both orientations are beautiful
*geometric details compliment Kaboom and string curves
*lovely details for Kulacane


From Shiryl White (Texas) ~
Thinking of Spring.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful tangles for spring
*burst of Kaboom


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...


Debbie Raaen (Trondheim, Norway) ~
...must admit to being a little sceptical of this challenge. I thought perhaps the tangles were too alike to go together and actually wondered whether to just used one of them. But I decided to just go for it and try not to over think it, which I have a habit of doing. I used my fairly new Sakura micron PN pens, which I love by the way, in two different colours to separate the tangles and was quite surprised at the result.
Your challenges often push me out of my comfort zone, which is a good thing! Thanks for this challenge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful tangles, beautiful colors
*delightful sense of direction for each section of tangles


Congratulations, Debbie!
I have a little something coming in the mail for you.


Thank you to all of our participants this week.  Your work inspires and motivates the rest of us and we appreciate you.

Many thanks to Tabitha Bedoukian for her versatile and lovely tangles
Kaboom  and Kulacane.

Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #238!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Adele, thanks for the round-up. - Sra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Adele. Loved seeing everyones different takes on these tangles.

    ReplyDelete