Tuesday, September 26, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #212 Tiles

We swirled and swooped our tangles this week and the tiles, once again, are uniquely beautiful.
As you read on you will discover that this challenge brought many people and things together:
*two tanglers in Tucson (Say that three times, real fast.)
*two new contributors
*two creators of tangles we used this week
*three tanglers who noted that my string resembled a hurricane (I'll admit that drawing it was a therapeutic for me 🙂)
*tiles from NINE countries
*news of a newly minted tangle from a beloved member
and
much more!

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Isabella Plappart (Graz, Austria) ~
Hello, me another time! And I am so glad to add my second tile to your project.My tile is attached for tickled to tangle.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*graceful rays of Wrapped link tangles
*darkened spaces of Danzer balance thick lines of Ok-rah


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Thank you, Adele, for these fun Tangles.
Attached is my Tile for It’s A String Thing #212.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkle and weighted lines accent Wrapped
*lovely Ok-rah details
*orbs featured in all three tangles



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
this week’s challenge was very interesting for me and I enjoyed drawing very much. Your given patterns are not exactly my favorites and I would never have drawn them myself in combination.After four versions they are more familiar to me. Two of the tiles you can see on my blog under the link.
I am very curious how the other participants use the three patterns. It is fascinating to see the different ideas arise on the same topic.
Thank you for this interesting challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*such a lovely burst of tangles spinning from the center spiral
*multiple variations of Ok-rah
*Printemps accents


From Hilary (Chicago) ~
I'm so glad you came through the hurricane with only " minor" problems. Let's hope there's no repeat performance from Mother Nature!
I know once you look at my entry for this week the first thing you'll notice is that there's no sign of your string. That's definitely true, and here's my excuse.I've been stuck at home with my bathroom being remodeled, and if they're not demolishing something, they're drilling away. It's really hard to concentrate, so I took the easy way out and put this week's patterns in boxes. It's been great having just enough to keep my mind focused!

Tangled Tidbits -
Good for you, Hilary, for finding a way to find some tangling time amid the construction.
*two variations of Ok-rah and Danzer - great Tipple detail
*tight curls and weighted lines for Wrapped



From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
Here is my entry for the challenge 212.
I tangled on a black tile but also on a piece of watercoloured paper that I have glued on the black one.
I enjoyed this challenge with the lovely new patterns very much.
Tangled Tidbits -
Layer papers - a very creative idea.
*Wrapped filled, arched, and grid based Ok-rah
*lovely shades of color and highlights


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Thank you Adele for another interesting challenge, I am so glad to see you back and that you and your family are all fine after hurricane Irma, you were all in my prayers. The three patterns in this challenge were new for me and I really didn't know how to tackle them in your beautiful spiral string, so I decided to divide the spiral into curved sections. As I was filling the sections with patterns it was looking pretty strange and without any balance at all and I almost gave up on the tile...but a voice kept telling me to keep going one step at a time. I am glad I did, it was until I added all the shading that suddenly the tile came to life and now I really like it ;-) I guess I have to learn that never know until the very end and the result might surprise you!
Greetings from Canada
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Gabriela.
*beautiful shading and curved sections do give a fabulous sense of depth
*filled aura-ed spaces give Wrapped and elegant look



From Barbara Steyer (Germany) ~
after spending a horrible time in my personal life and outside in nature, I feel much better now and love to take part of your wonderful challenge.
Here is my tile:
Greetings vom Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
I do hope tangling gives you joy, glad to have you back.
*dotted detail in the centers of Ok-rah
*wonderful sparkle


A very warm welcome to Gale Sherman, CZT (Tucson, Arizona) - the creator of Wrapped, one of the three tangles that we enjoyed exploring this week.  How fun!  Gale writes:
I am the creator of WRAPPED and am thrilled you have included me in your challenge this week. I don't know how, but I had never heard of your Tickled to Tangle blog until this week when you posted the challenge. Shortly after you posted I got an email congrats from Jody Genovese, a friend from Mosaic, and a message from a Sue Agnew who lives in Tucson and saw I was also in Tucson. She tracked down my website down and sent me a lovely letter. We have now communicated several times and I think I'll be joining an art club she belongs to and I've thought about for years. The Zentangle community is an AMAZING place...
Tangled Tidbits -
I love stories like that and yes, this is an amazing tangled world we share.
*shading highlights the curls of Wrapped
*shading and sparkle make Danzer shine


Gale's website is Lost Starr Art - do stop by and visit her there.

Welcome to our community and to our Tangled Map!


From Ragged Ray (United Kingdom) ~
You were much, much missed during your hurricane-enforced absence. I'm so pleased you are through the worst of it. Welcome back!
So, this week's challenge. Wrapped was one of those tangles that I really didn't get... until I started drawing it. And then the wonder of those simple curves and curls. They became the star of my show, which demanded a lovely big Zendala tile to work on! Thick black auras and the framework of Ok-rah without the seeds. A little cream coloured pencil, a little white gel, a little graphite and there it is!
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful variation of Wrapped - elegant lines, thick darkened aura, white dots...
*lovely touches of cream color and shading

Cheers and a hearty congratulation to Ragged Ray (Jem) for her newly published tangle, Clob, on TanglePatterns (Link).  What absolutely exciting news!



From Aileen (Singapore) ~
Thanks for another great challenge!
Warmest regards
Rainbows and raindrops in sunny Singapore
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura and Tipple grace the string lines
*bold black and shading give a sense of layering


From Vonnie (St. Paul, Minnesota) ~
Love when I get out of my way when I tangle! When I started I kept trying to force the patterns in ways they didn't want to be. When I finally let go and just drew...wow! The end result was so much better that I could have planned. Thanks for the opportunity to remember to do this in my everyday life too!

Tangled Tidbits -
Well said, Vonnie!
*splendid scalloped edges of Ok-rah
*a Danzer spiral!


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
I am not fond of this one. It looks a bit busy.

Tangled Tidbits - 
Looking at this now, I am sure you like it more :)
*curved Danzer and straight Ok-rah compliment and contrast
*shading and highlight add depth to pretty Wrapped


From Mariam G (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Tried out some new ballpoint pens on this one; not sure I like them for small areas, but overall they weren't bad. Always fun to explore new tools!
So glad you are getting back to normal - a slow process I am sure, but just happy you and yours did not suffer any severe damage. Let's hope things calm down a bit out there...
Tangled Tidbits - 
Thank you, we do too :)
*black, sparkled middle lines in Danzer
*rows of Wrapped - what a fun effect that creates!


A very warm welcome to Elena (Russia) and her tile can also be found here on her Instagram ~
Good afternoon!
I'm Elena from Russia
I'm interested in zenart recently. Your marathon inspires - many interesting works, interesting assignments. I decided to take part.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*stripes and sparkle, alternating white and black, make Danzer shine
*curved lines and orbs repeat in the tight spiral

Welcome to our tangled map, Elena.  We are happy to know that Zentangle® has brought us 
together ~


From Ute Andresen (Germany) and here on her blog ~
here is my contribution for It’s a String Thing #212.
Again it was joy. I like this string and the new tangles. It was a playful experience. Thank you.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delicate Wrapped - notice how the deep shading adds to the lightness of it
*orbs and shading pop in rows of Danzer


From Cyndee Pelley (Oklahoma) - 
Hi Adele! I'm so happy you were able to weather the storms with a minimum of discomfort (no air conditioning would be at the top of my list!).
As often happens, I wasn't able to find my zen this week. I loved the tangles but just couldn't get them to play well and my tile and my sketchpad version were both a mess. My son informed me his art teacher told him "there are always mistakes in art, and that's OK" he liked the tile so in keeping with the Zentangle ® Method, here they are. Here's hoping next week will be awesome!


Tangled Tidbits - 
There are only creative opportunities in tangling.   Thank you for the reminder Cyndee.
*glorious colors and tangles 
*top tile features an impressive blend of all three tangles



From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Welcome back! I'm glad you made it through relatively unscathed. I'm not pooh-poohing extended power outages — when I lived in Washington state a couple of times we were without power approaching a week, and the "spirit of adventure" wears off long before the power comes back on. I can't even imagine what it must be like for the people in Puerto Rico.
Here's a fun Zentangle story — when I looked up Wrapped I discovered that Gale Sherman lives in Tucson. So I went to her web site and used the "contact" form to send her a message. We've communicated back and forth and are friends on Facebook now. Her life is extremely busy, so we're not sure when we will be able to meet face-to-face. But isn't the world small when you share a passion for Zentangle!
This week's contribution feels more like a case of three tangles side-by-side rather than interacting and coordinating. I started playing with Wrapped in zigzag form thinking I could combine it with Danzer — but it was so pretty and fancy by itself I didn't want to mix it up with another. However, the bottom of the "skirts" in Danzer, with an orb in a marquise shape, reminded me of one of my favorite tangles that I can never find, because I always think it's called "String of Peas" but it's actually called "Inapod" (Carole Ohl) — so I combined Danzer with Inapod. And, being from Oklahoma, I love fried okra (we never had it at home because my parents didn't grow up in Oklahoma, but it was a favorite cafeteria choice until I learned to make it myself), so I enjoyed using Ok-rah (no cornmeal though).
Thank you for getting up and running so efficiently! We appreciate your efforts!
 Tangled Tidbits -
I assure you that my "spirit of adventure" was short lived after one week without power and my heart goes out to the people in PR.
It certainly is a small world we tangle in and I do hope you meet soon!
*dazzling Wrapped
*Inapod/Danzer variation complete with sparkle



From Karen Hertowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
So glad to hear your life is somewhat normal after the ravages of Irma. Thanks so much for sticking with us thru the worst of it. You are a real trouper!
This was a challenging task. Loved it! Here is my interpretation of this expression of creativity.
Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful array of tangles complete with sparkle and shading
*wonderful Wrapped features a little twist, light and dark orbs and a bit of sparkle


From Teddy G (Maryland) ~
Thanks for the challenge this week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Wrapped spiral and dainty dots
*many detail lines of Danzer (reminiscent of the new Cob!)


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Hope things are getting back to normal for you. So glad you came through the storm safely.
Here is my tile for 212. Such fun tangles this week.
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you, Jody.
*elegant curves in the spiral created with Wrapped - Wrapped graces Danzer
*finely detailed Ok-rah


From Liza Buckley, CZT (Florida) and the creator of Ok-rah.  We're on a roll today!
Before and after Irma, all my tangling involved ocean inspired and circular patterns. It's nice to move on to something new!
I enjoyed exploring the new tangles Wrapped and Danzer in combination with Ok-Rah. Thanks for the curved string line which encouraged a lovely flow of these curvy patterns. I can't wait to see what others do! Thank you for continuing to offer a wonderful way to practice and share Zentangle Adele!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple filled spaces of multiple Ok-rah variations
*lovely lace look created with Wrapped


From Priscilla DeConti, CZT (Kingston, New York) ~
I almost didn't make it this week...
Not my best....had a time figuring how to use the tangles in the string...so it kinda went its own way...
Some lopsided ok-rah, henna drum with some wrapped on the side and then a small slice of danzer to complete it...Wink of Stella glitter pen highlights the whole thing giving it a bit of a glitter feel to it.
Sooooooooooooo here is my take on this week..Hope all is well
Hugs and blessings


Tangled Tidbits - 
*free floating tangles - center sections of Ok-rah and wisps of Wrapped
*pops of color and glitter


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Hi Adele, another great challenge! Getting these three so different tangles play nice together was tricky, and I'm not sure how successful I was. But I can't resist a spiral!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*elegant lightness of line with just a touch of shading
*aura-ed scalloped spaces of Ok-rah


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Whether unconsciously drawn or by intention, Adele's string suggested the whirlwind she had just been through, at least it did to me. And so I used a single Ok-rah to symbolize the open, passive eye of the storm, followed by a row of chaotic Wrapped, a layer of pulsing Danzer and tailing outer swirls of Wrapped. Perhaps a bit simplistic, but I've been caught in one of those mother storms before, and believe me I wish it had felt more like a tangle of patterns than a tangle of nature vs nerves!
 Tangled Tidbits -
That is an excellent description of any natural disaster!
*terrific twisted ribbon variation of Wrapped
*wonderful alternating contrasts in Danzer


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
I'm not at all happy with this one. Drawing and photo are bad. I'll have to do this again and see what I come up with. Comments welcome.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Kudos for sending in your tile.  As I mentioned to Vena, I am confident it looks better to you revisit it.
*Ok-rah free of its grid, sprinkle of  'seeds'
*double arc of aura-ed Wrapped


From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Thank you for another challenging challenge Adele. Wrapped is an interesting tangle
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful arc of Wrapped
*penciled Ok-rah background
(great magnet placement!)


From Rhonda Koplin, CZT (Macon, Georgia) ~
I know I'm later, but wanted to share my commitment to get back to tangling.
Tangled Tidbits -
You are just in time!
*festive colors, five variations of Danzer
*finely fringed Ok-rah



And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

Lori Byerly from Washington State

 and here on her blog ~
So nice to hear that life is getting back to normal for you and others in the wake of Irma.
Here's my tile for this week's challenge. (The string looks a bit like a hurricane!)

Tangled Tidbits -
*two little seeds pop over the border (so cheeky!)
*delicate darker shade added to Danzer with detail lines
*Wrapped dances between Ok-rah and Danzer
*Ok-rah elements fill the larger arc


Congratulations, Lori!


Many thanks to everyone for sending in your precious tiles.  You inspire all of us and help build this wonderfully supportive IAST community.

Kudos to the artists behind our featured tangles:

Wrapped by Gale Sherman, CZT

Ok-rah by Liza Buckley, CZT

Danzer by Prairie Kittin


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #213!

No comments:

Post a Comment