Monday, February 22, 2016

"It's a String Thing" #132 Tiles

As we broke from a streak of heart inspired challenges, this week's string and tangles were traditionally non-representational...for the most part!  There is one little creature that popped up more than a few times.

Let's take a look ~

This was my take ~
I noticed that as I drew Dillo along the string line, little fishies appeared.  It was a theme that repeated as the rest of the tiles arrived...


From Cheryl Stocks (Arizona) ~
I don't really know what I expected when I started out with this week's String Thing, but THIS was NOT it! Pleasantly surprised by the result, using only one tangle.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*added fins and eyes to Dillo make for flowing fish
*shading adds depth


From smgg (Taiwan) ~
Have a nice day♡
 Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful concentration of Tri-Bine - small grid makes it stand out
*shaded Dillo seems to twist as it flows


From Joanne Faherty (Bedfordshire, United Kingdom) ~
All 3 where new to me this week. I really like how dillo looks and I think once I've practiced it more it will look alot better, I also like tri- bine but I like cubine so no surprise there. Not keen on tattle but maybe ill see something in someone's else's tile that will make me go ooh that looks nice doing it that way etc, as sometimes you do with zentangle .
I had the hardest time picking which way around I liked the tile best and making the 'ribbons' stand out from the string. I hope you can see them.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*vertical Tri-Bine moves in opposite directions
*pretty center detail of Dillo, great dark spaces too


From Sarah (Michigan) and here on her blog ~
I loved all these tangles and after working with the string I found it had more possibilities than I thought at first glance. Perhaps my tangles are a bit off, but I DID them. And as I've not been well lately, that is today's small victory. All courtesy of Tangling!

Tangled Tidbits -
*Count that a huge victory!
*two sizes of Tri-Bine and Dillo meeting at a point seem to flower



From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) and here on her blog with a peek at her new "Flaura" ~
hope, you had a great Valentin's Day and enjoyed the weekend with your grandchildren.
When I saw the string for this week's challenge I wondered how to fill this one with patterns. So the challenge was not easy for me. But I wanted to try it because I absolutely wanted to draw the new pattern Dillo. I enjoyed to tangle it. I also like Tattle a lot because it is a pi-based pattern and I'm a great fan of pi.
All in all it was an interesting challenge with three new to me patterns and here is the result.
Greetings from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous grouping of Dillo
*white string sections highlight Tri-Bine and Tattle


From Talia Maynard (London,United Kingdom) ~
I really didn't know what to make of this week's string. My first instinct was to hate it - it was too complex and created too many sections. But I really liked all the tangles so I thought I'd have a bash.
I'm not sure at what point my brain decided there was a fish in there, but I ran with it and I think it turned out OK!

 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous tangled fish
*curved and straight grids of Tri-Bine


From Rhonda Roy (Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada) ~
Thanks Adele, for continuing to provide these great challenges!
Tangled Tidbits -
*delicate Tattle
*single lines of Dillo


From Deepti Jois (India) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*repeated, shaded dots throughout
*large arcs for Dillo


From Anita A Westin (Dalarna, Sweden) ~
Here is my entry for IAST 132! I love the new pattern ´Dillo!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*thin and plump Dillo
*large Tri-Bine shaded with Tattle


From Portia (Michigan) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful black accents, aura, and background
*Tattle areas shaded around the perimeter highlights the centers


From Michele Wynne (California) ~
Here's this weeks challenge and a challenge it was. I don't know where the fish came from, but once they appeared, a Diva Dance river followed.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful Renaissance rendition
*aura around Dillo moves easily into Diva Dance
*detail lines of Tri-Bine run parallel to triangles' edge


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
At first sight when I saw the string, I had no idea how to do this challenge. Well, I took the first step: I just begun and was open to where the process would lead me to. I am surprised and happy with this result.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*detail lines and shading for Tri-Bine
*graceful - and very serious looking - fish :)


From Roberta (Germany) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*a lovely little explosion of Tattle
*deeply shaded center lines of Tri-Bine add even greater depth


From Trish O'Leary (Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*perpendicular grids of Tri-Bine
*light and airy, dotted Tattle


From Lucy Banta, CZT (New Jersey) and here on her blog ~
Love your granddaughter's new tangles! What fun. I have a 5-month-old grandson now and can't wait until he can hold a pen!
Fun tangles this week. Thank you!
(He will be tangling in no time, Lucy :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*a surprise heart at the intersection of two Dillo
*lovely movement accomplished with three orientations for the grids of Tri-Bine


From Jane (Boulder, Colorado) ~
Hope this finds you well...wonderful posts about Pauline and her tangles...truly adorable! Lucky you... :)
I'm not sure what I think of my submission this week...started off with the Tri-bine on the bottom...love the effect, but think I overdid it just a little...worked a couple of versions of 'Dillo--a very fun, my type of pattern--into the top areas...left all the remaining spaces empty for some interest, but leaving no room for any Tattle...added a little more shading for 'Dillo. Hmmm...I still think I would prefer a little less Tri-bine, but as I looked at it more, I started seeing some abstract Tri-bine mountains in the foreground and a beautiful 'Dillo cloud streaked sky...all's good in the world. :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful white spaces cut through the darker tangles
*great Dillo details - sparkle, aura, shading


From Jeannette Quinn Bisbee (Ontario, Canada) ~
Okay, I've looked at the wonderful work people submit each week for the past year or so, and I always wanted to participate. This is my 3rd participation!!! I'm so excited; I'm finally getting in the swing of downloading the information on the challenge and making room for it in my schedule. I am usually a monotangler, so it is fun learning how to combine Tangles and make them dance together. I particularly had fun with 'dillo. It made such a lovely pattern, and shading just seemed to make it "pop". Can't wait to see the results of the whole group on Tuesday.

Tangled Tidbits -
*thick lined Tattle filled Dillo
*aura, black backgrounds, and shading - delightful details


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
The post of Pauline's tangles has been on my mind all day! How excited would she be if you offered her tangles in a String Thing prompt?
And speaking of prompts, when I saw this week's string I wondered how the tangles would fit ... I have to admit, this is tile #2 ... my first tile was too grey all over with shading. Once I saw the ribbon-y part of the string it all made sense and the contrasts came through. 'dillo is a tangle I'll be working with a lot. Its fun to shade and it fits perfectly as a Molygon filler!
Thank you for another great prompt and for sharing your granddaughter's artworks!
(What a great idea - and I know Pauline would be thrilled...I'll work on something soon!)
Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulous folds of Dillo
*curved Tattle and Tri-Bine


From Simone Menzel (Germany) and here on her blog ~
The tangles of this week are rather different. I like DILLO very much and had already tried it in my sketch book after receiving the post from Linda Farmers blog.
Tri-Bine is a geometric pattern which reminds me to the floor tiles of ancient cathedrals, for instance in Siena (Italy) or in the old Norman Cathedrals in England. That`s why I love this pattern, too.
Tattle is new to me. Nice filler...
String #132 fits very well to this patterns.
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled and striped Dillo
*faded field of Tattle


From Marla Mendenhall (California) ~
Very interesting challenge, and not sure my tiles did it justice, but Dillo has become one of my new faves, and Tattle is tanglishly fun. And since I missed last week, Tile 1 contains a shout-out to the challenge, a little Dillo flying heart.
 Tangled Tidbtis -
*a Dillo flying heart - fabulous!
*Tri-Bine columns end in diamonds

Tangled Tidbits -
*Tri-bine triangles are shaded and one side is darkened - what a different look it gives to the tangle
*Dillo curves meet the bottom line instead of returning to the center - yet another wonderful variation


From Jessie Plouffe (Connecticut) ~
Here is my tile for this week! Tattle was a bit boring for me, so I
decided to Quandary-ify it and make it a bit more dimensional.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*a gorgeous tanglation, indeed!
*superb shading, very detailed


From Mary Helmers ~
After only two months of tangling, this week's was a challenge! Tackling the circular design was the biggest challenge for me, and I certainly did learn from this creation! I have also been spending time looking at the wealth of tiles available both on Pintrest and on individual sites. One thing I learned by doing this is another rule I am adding to those Zentangle has already presented: "When it is enough, quit." And that is what I did here.
I went to the dentist today, and had a tile with me that I am working on for "One Zentangle A Day." Of course I brought up Zentangle and explained what it was, and the entire office staff was very interested. So, I challenged them to get involved and to post their work in the office. I go back early next month, and am looking forward to seeing what happens!
(Zentangle is happily contagious - hats off to you for spreading the joy!)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*single file Dillo and pretty concentration
*narrowing grid of Tri-Bine adds wonderful depth


From Dorrit Tompkins (Florida) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*three orientations of Tri-Bine grids
*deep black background for Dillo compliments lighter areas of Tattle



From Sally Sheldon (Massachusetts) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tattle appears star-like
*curved Tri-Bine flows with curves of Dillo



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to no. 132! I really had fun!
Greetings from Germany!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty center concentration of Dillo
*Tattle sparkles with added dots



From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Some good new tangles. I like the little “picnic tables” of Tattle. Very simple but effective.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*large Tattle filled Tri-Bine background
*ribbon-like Dillo floats in the foreground



From Linda (Pennsylvania) ~
I worked these tangles several ways. This time I am the sending two
results that I liked best. Adele, I appreciate the work you put into
this. I just want you to know I appreciate the opportunity to learn
new tangles in such a fun way. I think it is especially helpful to see
what others have done with the same tangles. Loving the process,
(And many thanks for featuring them on my frames :)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Dillo radiates from a center point

Tangled Tidbits -
*very clever inclusion of Tri-Bine in Dillo
*lovely fanned aura in Dillo


From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
My contribution to this week's challenge.
All three tangles were new to me this week - I especially enjoyed
working with Dillo but for some reason found that Tattle, which I had
thought looked easiest of the three, caused me problems!

Tangled Tidbits -
*beautifully layered Dillo
*elongated and tight grids of Tri-Bine


From Becky Welty (North Carolina) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*dense to light layers of tangles
*large center loops of Dillo pop with shading


From Jenny Hopkins (Australia) ~
Thank you again for another challenging and rejuvenating challenge. And thank you for sharing the work of your Talented Tangling granddaughter. A. A. Milne's words seem to suit her, "But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever, So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever."
(That is a beautiful sentiment - and purely Pauline.  Thank you.)
Tangled Tidbits -
*curved and straight grids for Tri-Bine
*light and dark lines of Tattle


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Arizona) and here on her blog ~
...As you will see, I didn't use Tattle. I couldn't for the life of me get it to look decent; much less fit it in with the other 2 tangles. I am really curious to see the other entries, and how they utilized it.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tri-Bine grid flows from straight to curved
*dense shading adds depth


From Felicity Strohfeldt (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Looking at this week’s challenging string, I decided to cheat a bit by allowing it to” voluptualize” as I penned it down. Then atangling I went, starting off with Dillo by Lori , what a lovely pattern. Then Tri-bine by Laura added a bolder touch behind the flora focus and Tattle by Milde came tumbling out as dozens of tiny Pi’s”. Enjoyed shading geometric and flowing patterns.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a very voluptuous version of Dillo!
*a squat and a narrower Tri-Bine add wonderful contrast



From Susan Theron (South Africa) and here on her blog ~
Thanks for this one! I've enjoyed the challenge although I think I need some tips for tangling Dillo and some of my Tattles has only one leg.
(I did find that it was helpful to just begin a new table instead of trying to squeeze another leg in here or there.  See if that works for you.)


Tangled Tidbits -
*each curve of Dillo is shaded
*detail lines in Tri-Bine

And now, 
the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Robin Bort from Nevada !

Robin wrote:
Wow! Three more new-to-me patterns. I didn’t think I would like the tattle pattern, but it’s fun to draw and easy to get lost in! This was a really challenging string for me, but I’m happy with the outcome. Thank you!

Tangled Tidbits -
*singular Tri-Bine used along the string lines
*each line of Dillo is shaded
*circular Dillo yields a yin/yang effect
*very clever use of Tattle, concentrated perimeters and a smattering of lines toward the centers


Congratulations, Robin!

I have a little something coming in the mail for you.

Thank you to everyone who participated this week.

What a beautiful collection of tiles!  I agree with the comments above that referred to the string as a bit daunting at first glance.  True to the process of Zentangle, diving in with mindful strokes results is a surprisingly rewarding creative experience.  It's magical, isn't it?!

Special thanks to the creative minds behind the string and tangles used this week ~

TanglePatterns String 132 by Jane Dickenson

Dillo by CZT Lori Manoogian

Tattle by CZT Milde Weiss

Tri-bine  by CZT Laura Liu




Stop by Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #133!








2 comments:

  1. Well done Robin I loved your tile when I saw it in square one (?) congrats on being tangler of the week. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the most fun, creative, abstract gallery shows I think I've seen here. Well done everyone and congrats to the winner. That was indeed the most creative use of Tattle!

    ReplyDelete