Monday, March 11, 2019

"It's a String Thing" #282 Tiles

Just a few days away from Pi Day (3.14) and we have lots of treats in store - Pi inspired treats of the non-caloric kind, that is!

We used three numerically named tangles and a Pi shaped string to mark the day.

Let's take a look ~

From Lisette CZT 32 (Switzerland) ~
Hi Adele, thank you for this new challenge. When I looked at the suggested patterns, I thought: well, well..... But then I was totally amazed about the outcome especially of 4Fun. I'm so grateful for your challenges because they make me draw patterns which I wouldn't choose voluntarily. I hope that every one had as much fun with this challenge as I had.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*intricately shaded 4Fun
*light and dark cross lines of 1+1


From Margarete Gilge (Germany) and here on her blog ~
the combination of your selected patterns was a real challenge for me because I would never have chosen this compilation myself. Both of my variants can also be found on my blog under the link.
Thank you for this interesting challenge!
Best wishes from Germany
 Tangled Tidbits -
*straight and curved grids of 1+1
*colorful, blossoming 03


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*4Fun floats above 1+1 - fun!
*shaded cross hatched sections of 1+1


From Angie Gittles (Maryland) ~
This week’s tangles were brand new to me. I think I need more practice with them. I added some Tipple and Diva Dance Rock n Roll into the mix - along with a little color.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*shaded orbs in 1+1 spaces add depth
*pop of pretty red 03


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A String Thing # 282’ Challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely 03 variation
*triple lined 1+1 looks creates sparkle


From Dani (Indonesia) and here on her blog ~
This is for challenge 282. Last minute before I go home from office. It's 16.54 now. Have a wonderful weekend.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*checkered 1+1
*filled spaces and aura for 03
The end of a long work day seems like a good time to tangle :)


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
There is some “free form” 1 +1 in the bottom right hand corner, but I think I got the hang of it in the other examples. I decided to add some orbs and move on.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*...and the orbs seem to flow from 03!
*shading along the diagonal lines of the curved grid 1+1


From Cassi (Illinois) ~
I really enjoyed the 1+1 pattern!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*great pop of a single 1+1
*wonderful shading


From Gabi (Germany) ~
How strange... there is a Pi Day!
Mathematics always were some kind of mystery to me and so the tile also evolved to be a little mysterious - as a reference to Pi’s infinity. Just used the string and FUN together with silver and blue.
Thanks again for your ideas!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous depth, sense of space
*blue adds punch to 4Fun


From Lynn G. (Florida) ~
Thank you for another fun challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*multi-colored 1+1
*pretty arc of 03 and shaded 4Fun filled string spaces


From Laurel Davis, CZT 28 (New York) ~
Thanks for this challenge, Adele. These were all new tangles for me and I really liked them! The cactus in the picture is something my sister crocheted.
 Tangled Tidbits -
That cactus is adorable.  Your photo backdrops are always interesting.
*simple, elegant, 03
*curved bands filled with 4Fun


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*two lovely 1+1 variations
*sparkly orbs for 03


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Took a time out to shake up my routines ... like a towel on a clothesline in the wind ... refreshed.
My tile ... I see a tangled baseball ... my daughter sees a domed ceiling.
Cheers to Pi ... and the hand pies I’ll be making to celebrate the day!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*YUM! - the tangles and the pies!
*beautiful 1+1 variation


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
I enjoyed this week challenge very much and learned 3 (for me unknown)
tangles, thank you. I like them all 3.
As you can see, I have made my drawing just in black/white but to finish
I just used a tiny bit of red.
The weather forecast says we may expect a cold, rainy and windy week, so
wonderful weather to tangle!!! (lol)
Wish you a nice weekend and send you warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*richly colored and accented 03
*background grid with a touch of 1+1


From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to nr. 282.
I am really happy that I found enough time to participate again.
Greetings from Germany

 Tangled Tidbits -
Welcome back!
*diagonal light and dark 1+1
*stacked 03 creates oval shapes


From T. ~
All of the patterns included in this week’s challenge are new to me, but I’m happy that none of them proved too difficult to re-create.
I added colour to all the patterns, but especially to 4Fun in hopes that it would resemble the spots on a giraffe’s coat because that’s what I thought of as soon as I drew it.
I hope that the bits of gold I added are visible enough in the photo.
Thanks for another fun challenge that added more shapes to my pattern sketchbook.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*more oval 03 - how fun!
*wonderful detail lines throughout


From Jane (Surrey, United Kingdom) ~
Never tried any of these tangles before so very interesting challenge!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*curved, shaded, and four lined 1+1
*pop of color for daisy tipped 03


From Amy L, CZT (Connecticut) ~
I kind of ran out of time this week, but I really wanted to do the challenge, so I used a bijou. 03 looked unfinished to me, so I kept adding more embellishments. The whole thing ended up looking rather busy, but I’m interested to try these tangles again on a full-size tile, perhaps using 03 as a border. Anyway, here’s what I got.
 Tangled Tidbits -
That is a good idea to use a Bijou.
*awesome aura
*shading between the tangles


From Ginger (California) ~
Hope you have recovered from the "grandma time", and that there were no gifts that keep on giving in the form of colds passed on to you!
Glad to celebrate Pi Day with a tangled drawing rather than piece of pie LOL! easier on the waistline that way.
 Tangled Tidbits -
(You must know from experience :)
*light and airy 1+1
*dots accent 03


From Teddy G (Maryland) ~
Thanks for this week's challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*two variations of 1+1 share diagonal checks and shaded orbs
*soft roundness echoed in 4Fun aura and 03


From Sue Leslie, CZT (New Mexico) ~
Just fun! What can I say, all these are fun easy tangles and was a fun play in this string. I’m certainly thinking spring with the 3 o flowery tangle even tho we had 2 inches of snow this morning and now the puddles of water this afternoon looking somewhat like the 4fun tangle. Looking forward to some green for ST. Patrick’s day later this month, even if it is green beer!
 Tangled Tidbits -
That sounds good!
*tangles layered over gray grid of 1+1
*shading between tangles adds even more depth


From Lynn F. (Florida) ~
This is my first time doing these 3 patterns. I love O 3 as a border!
Happy Pi day to everyone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
*light, white details repeat in 03 and 1+1
*shaded string line


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~


Just had to have some fun with this one :-) Looking forward to our Saint Pat's day challenge!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Great fun!
*interlocking 03 orbs
*curved grid and shading adds dimension to 1+1


From Rebecca I. (Stamford, Connecticut) ~
This tile surprised me! It actually came out looking somewhat “mathematical” - or space age’y, take your pick, lol! Had a lot of fun with 3 Tangles that were new to me. Thanks for another great challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely, large, overlapping 03
*aura and shading for each 1+1 cross


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
Happy Pi Day on the 14th!
With 1+1 I first decided to take it out of its grid and was pleased that it still retained that weird optical illusion of white circles. Then I wanted to experiment with the Hollibaugh effect and finally figured out how to draw strips that crossed over and under (I think there’s a pattern called Twile? that you draw that way). My plan was to shade where the strips cross, but if you’ve ever tried shading that Zentangle original tangle that looks like a rattan chair (I think it’s called Hurry) you know how tedious that is — so I ended up using the pen to stripe the “back” strips if that makes sense. It occurred to me that drawing a bazillion tiny crosses during the first week of Lent isn’t inappropriate! My plan for o3 was different from what I ended up with but that’s how it goes in Zentangle. I gave up on 4Fun because the only “random” shape I could draw had three lobes and it ended up looking like a shamrock (which you said is next week). I didn’t realize until I was initialing the tile that I had oriented it on its tip instead of its side. I hope that doesn’t mess up your blog!
I enjoyed playing with these tangles, all new to me.
Thank you for your faithful hard work!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Ah, reading that felt like a breath of fresh air.  Thank you, Sue.
*daisy tipped, aura filled 03
*awesome 1+1 variation


From Allison Armstrong (California) ~
I love Pi day and celebrated it every year when I taught fifth grade plus it’s Einstein’s birthday. Not so happy with this one and almost didn’t send it.

 Tangled Tidbits -
Cheers to your teaching years, and cheers to Mr. Einstein, too.
*multi-layered 03
*curved grid of 1+1


From Antony Visconti (Milan, Italy) ~
PI's to infinity!!!

Tangled Tidbits -
Here! Here!
*03 border, deep black background
*repeating, diminishing string line Pi


From Kathy Millard (Prince George, British Columbia, Canada) ~
Three new tangles for me and so much fun. Initially I wasn't sure how I was going to put them together in one zentangle but then the magic happened...and it all just came together. I love that part of tangles. Thank you so much Adele and have a great week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pretty detail line work in 03 and 1+1
*each 4Fun shaded


From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Hope you are all safe and sound. Trust that you were spared the recent frightening weather experienced on the east coast. Here we’ve just had a 24 hr thunderstorm, hail and rain over the weekend. Very early, but very welcome. Worldwide weather echoing all the unrest on the planet.
Anyway Tile 282 is done. I’m looking forward to all the other artwork this week. Have a lovely week.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Stay safe and warm!
*impressive sparkle and shading for 4Fun
*CO2 bursts repeat in 03 and 1+1


From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
In the attachment my tile # 282 for this week.
Have a blessed week with lots of love
 Tangled Tidbits -
*thick aura and filled in spaces for 03
*lovely and light 1+1


From Lin H., CZT (Florida) ~
Thanks for another fun challenge, Adele. 1+1 and o3 were new for me and I really like both of them so thank you for including them in your “Pi” challenge.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*highlighted orbs, arcs, and seed shapes
*weighted lines and soft shading


This is my tile ~
I began with 03 along the string lines and loved the look of this tangle.  It reminds me of Zenith as it begins with 'c' curves and blossoms from there.  Wanting to keep everything light, I used a large grid for 1+1 and added 4 Fun in one corner but just couldn't seem to make it lively.  I wondered whether to fill in that white space, but decided to keep the possibilities open ended - suitable for the endless Pi...


Thank you all for participating - what an incredible collection of tiles!
Couldn't you just feel the creative energy in the notes and see it in the tangles?


Many thanks to the creators of the tangles we used to celebrate Pi Day ~

03 by Ai Ling Hung, CZT

1+1 by Mei Hua (Damy) Teng, CZT

4 Fun by Mina Hsiao, CZT

Check back tomorrow for our St. Patrick's Day "It's a String Thing" #283!

No comments:

Post a Comment