Monday, July 6, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #99 Tiles

This week's challenge featured a string reminiscent of the letter "T" and three tangles that began with with the letter "T" - that's a lot of alliteration!  Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Sarah Antoinette ~
I used all three tangles although at first I grumbled a bit seeing Tripoli on the list. But I thought this is what a challenge is all about. The string was and is always a challenge, so if I can handle those with more confidence now, then onto defeating Tripoli! And yes, I had an 'a-ha!' moment while doing the tangle. The light bulb in my head went on! I used reds and blues and off whites and silver in honor of the Fourth of July. Thanks for another great challenge! Excited for #100! [my blog]

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a happy celebration of the Fourth
*white and black lines for Tearse
*three colors of Tripoli

From Deb Jacob ~
Happy 4th of July. Here is my rise to your challenge. I really liked these new tangles and as always, the string is fantastic. A lot of days, I use the same strings again and again. I hope you enjoy your holiday. 
Tangled Tidbits -
*two pretty Tripoli
*wavy Tearce
*black aura-ed circles of Tracery

From Lily Moon ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*the tangles glow on this Renaissance tile
*large and lovely versions of Tripoli
*elegant Tracery rises off the tile with beautiful shading


From Karin ~
this is my entry to challenge #99.
I really look forward to challenge #100 on Tuesday!
Warm regards!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*leaf-like Tracery
*bold aura of Tracery flows with Tearce
*sweet simple dots in the corners of Tripoli


From Marla Mendenhall ~
Of the last two challenges I have known only two patterns. This week I hadn't tried any. So ... I looked at the string, I looked at the patterns, and ... I looked at the ceiling. (There are an amazing number of tangles to be found in the patterns of a popcorn ceiling, especially with prolonged viewing.) But once again, when I put pen to tile, a miraculous thing happened (after Tearce and I, formidable enemies from the onset, reached a compromise).
Adele, your choices are nothing short of genius, albeit at the start I'm given cause to wonder ... And thank you to all the other tanglers who inspire me with their astounding creativity. Tangle on!
 (I too have been inspired while staring at a popcorn ceiling :)
 Tangled Tidbits -
*star-like effect of Tripoli
*great line width variation
 *double lined centers of Tripoli
*wonderful shading
*sensational stained glass effect of Tracery
*double lined Tearce


From Juul ~
Here is my tile...... very difficult string for me!
I'm looking forward to next week challenge...your hints sounded very exciting!
Gros bisou
Tangled Tidbits - 
*flowering Tripoli
*a tremendous take on Tearce
*beautiful variations of Tracery


From Jai aka The Yorkshire Tortoise ~
I enjoyed doing this tile, in spite of my struggles which I have written about in my blog -
Tangled Tidbits -
*Tearce Tripoli
*tremendous Tripoli variations
*just a touch of Tracery


From Lynne Harvey ~
I used the 3 focus patterns, Tearce, Tracery, Tripoli (I think my favorite of the 3); and added a little Tipple and Tripo to complete the tile. This one flowed together fairly quickly and I like the final outcome - hope you do too!
Happy 4th ~ see you for number 100!
my blog 

Tangled Tidbits -
*fun mix of tangles
*Tipple and stripes for Tracery
*wonderful section of Tripoli


From Sandra ~
thank you for this interesting challenge :-) I didn't know Tearce and Tracery and I really liked the effect of Tearce!
Tripoli is very difficult in my eyes... I tried it before but I didn't really "get" this pattern. In my tile I think I managed only two of the three Tripoli areas half-decent, but I won't give up and try it again ;-)
In the end I am satisfied with the result tile :-)
In my blog
Many greetings from very very warm germany,

Tangled Tidbits - 
*Tracery's diamonds thick and shaded
*three pretty variations of Tripoli
*bold lines of Tearce



From CZT Tabitha Bedoukian ~
Here's my submission for #99. I haven't been able to draw much for a couple weeks, so it was extra delicious getting back to this challenge. :)
Tangled Tidbits - 
*welcome back!
*aura-ed Tracery with little spin offs
*lovely Tripoli variation incorporates Tearse



From Ilse Lukken ~
That was a fun challenge, and I'm looking forward to next week's 100th Challenge!
I put this tile on my blog as well
Tangled Tidbits - 
*terrific tangles
*aura and Tipple for Tracery
*two variations of Tripoli



From Jessie Plouffe ~
I love love love Tripoli, and was very excited to use it this week! Since using it once is simply not enough, I used three tangleations of it, one with Tearce, and used the Tracery as a border to the negative space.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Tracery in Tripoli
*curved line variation of Tripoli
*great shading



From Michele Wynne ~
Here's #99. Great patterns. I have a love/hate relationship with Tripoli. It starts off nicely but goes off the rails quickly. This time it worked favorably. Tracery was new to me and I love the versatility. I struggled a bit with Tearce to make it look nice. This is my second tile- Tearce was not behaving the first time out.
Thanks for all you do and Congrats on the approaching Zentennial;-)


Tangled Tidbits - 
*fabulous depth of shading
*Crescent Moon accents for Tripoli
*great waves of Tearce


From Mariam G ~
Am having fun with the challenges - finally decided to submit my second attempt :-)
This one was interesting - not sure how cohesive my collection is, but the theme and the string design made me think of our atrium - trees, flowers, TONS of ants (!) and lots of support for our various plants. Decided to stick with the theme and tossed in Teenos and Tink - just because I like them. (still need more practice on Tracery...)
Can't wait to see what you have planned for #100

Tangled Tidbits -
*a lovely mix of tangles - including my Teenos, such a nice surprise
*darkened spaces and curved lines for Tripoli
*bits and pieces of Tracery


From Catherine Wells ~
this was hard...several attempts and I think this is the one I am happiest with...I think!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a Hollibaugh type of Tearce
*Tracery detail lines for Tripoli
*great balance of black and white



From Beth Gaughan ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge. These three patterns reminded me of a sandy beach (Tearce) on a starry night (Tripoli), with sand creatures scuttling around (Tracery).
Thank you so much for the weekly challenge! Otherwise I tend to use the same patterns over and over.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful imagery!
*four versions of Tracery
*Tripoli "stars"


From Becky Welty ~
Congratulations on making it to tile #99! Looking forward to #100!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*simple and stark Tripoli
*aura, Tipple, and shading of Tracery
*Tearce detail lines work toward the center


From Sidney Kapinos ~
 my blog postThis was an interesting tangle to draw. Since I started tangling I've had trouble with placement of triangles in Tripoli, so thank you for the tips on how to draw the pattern. I ended up throwing in a little Tipple on this one to fill in some space. It was also nice to learn how to draw Tearce and Tracery.
Looking forward to seeing the results of this challenge, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for everyone with challenge #100!

Tangled Tidbits -
*single sections of Tripoli
*rows of Tripoli fill the string section
*well shaded Tearce


From Kylie Dinning ~
I have completed the last couple of challenges but haven't sent them in time. I'm glad to get this one to you in time. Tearce is a favourite and Tracery was new to me. It was fun working out how to put them together, along with Tripoli. I'm looking forward to challenge 100!

Tangled Tidbits -
*rounded triangles of Tripoli
*curvy rows of Tearce
*super shading


From Ragged Ray ~
I can’t wait to join you for next week’s milestone celebrations – but this week’s challenge was too good to skip too! Tripoli is one of those that is mesmerising but hard to master. But I’m learning to love it being a bit wonky! Embrace the imperfection! I kept it simple – dropped out a line from the string that was in my way! And popped Tracery and some sections of Tearce into the Tripoli triangles. And I left the big T empty – sometimes that negative space is so appealing!
Until next week, thanks as always for your encouragement and steady stream of posts,
Tangled Tidbits - 
*three dimensional look to the edges of Tripoli
*Tearce and Tracery tucked into Tripoli
*superb shading


From Jenny Hopkins ~
I loved this challenge - loved the string and the tangles. My tracery started looking like ants so I gave in and let them wander around. It is great to see everyone's interpretations of the challenges and I thank you warmly for providing such a forum for tanglers everywhere. Much like the ants, Zentangles have invaded my life and transformed it for the better.

Tangled Tidbits -
*awesome ants and lovely sentiments
*wonderful curves for Tripoli
*depth of Tearce


From Linda Goncalves ~
First, thank you for the warm welcome. I am so glad I have the
opportunity to learn this way and to see everyone's work
I loved, loved, loved these!! I got caught up with Tracery and
nearly filled the card before I even looked at Tripoli, and, of
course, Tripoli is my favorite and needs lots of practice and more
room on the card.
Without planning it, this felt like a celebration and fireworks.
Happy 4th everyone! 

Tangled Tidbits -
*happy faces of Tracery
*clusters of Tripoli
*Tearce layered in a aura like way


From Cathy Cusson ~
Great fun for a very wet day!! I love being stuck in and listening to the rain as I draw. Great challenge this week - tripoli is becoming one of my new favorites.
Tangled Tidbits -
*variation of line thickness for Tearce
*Tracery intertwined with Tripoli
*super shading accents the fresh white spaces


From Susan Theron ~
Here is my tile. Funny enough, I was not really impressed with Tracery, but when I start practicing it, I started to like it. Tripoli is definitely not Zen for me, because I have to concentrate to much (despite the good tips from you). Overall I am satisfied with my tile and liked the experience. Also on my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*thick lined aura of a simple and sweet Tracery
*two versions of Tripoli
*shaded Tearce


From Ingrid Coventon ~

Tangled Tidbits -
*additional lines for and shading of Tearce add great depth
*terrific variation of Tracery
*background of two pretty Tripoli versions


From Joanne Hawes ~
Here is my it's a string thing entry for #99 from a very hot and sunny u.k. :)
So once again I have only used one of the tangles before and that was tripoli which came out ok on one side not so well on the other it went quite small and seemed to get trickier so bigger is better for tripoli I must remember that for the next time! :)
Tearce is good although not as easy as I thought at first try ( in my sketchbook) came out ok on the 2nd go and it reminds me of a zebra :)
Can't wait to see Tuesday's iast #100 :)

Tangled Tidbits - 
*wonderful shading
*sparkled and striped Tracery
*two variations of Tripoli


From Sally Sheldon ~

Tangled Tidbits - 
*one large Tripoli
*Tearce tucked into each point
*pretty shading



From Cat Trask ~
My entry to #99
Have a safe and Happy Fourth of July!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*thickly outlined Tripoli
*wonderful shading
*aura and detail lines of Tracery


From Portia Hyde ~
Once again I tried the challenge in my tangle a day calendar twice and got some ideas. Then I went for it on a tile and it came out dark and brooding. So I tried again and it went light and airy. Use both if you like or just one. Learn so much with each iteration.


Tangled Tidbits  -
*details of Tripoli make each triangle look either pointed inward or upward
*Tracery flows from Tripoli
*fine lines of Tearce



From Sharyn Penna ~
Happy 4th! And happy impending String Thing Centennial!
This week's prompt is an interesting mix. Tripoli is familiar to my hand, but Tearce and Tracery are new.
Tracery took on a Mooka style and became medallions in the sky behind a Tripoli tree growing from a Tearce knoll. Thank you for a wonderful mix of tangles...Tracery is on my play list! Have a red-white-and-blue week.
Tangled Tidbits -
*love the imagery
*clusters of Tracery - along with the Mooka touches - give the tangle a new look
*fabulous folds for Tripoli


From Betsy Gentry ~
Ooohhh can't wait for String #100 and Congratulations to you! What a fun accomplishment!
This challenge was very interesting. Once I drew the string and played with the tangles, so many ideas were running thru my head I couldn't decide where to start. The string and Tearce together sang 'tree' so I started there and just played with it from there. The lines and tangles just took over after that and I enjoyed the process. Thank you for another great challenge!

Tangled Tidbits -
*tremendous variations of Tripoli
*large Tracery center
*wonderful waves of Tearce


From Emily Shelton ~
Thanks – this was fun. I so much appreciated your Tripoli hints. See? It pays to procrastinate!
And check out this link to Emily's blog where she posted a very nice write up about the challenge.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*pleasing mix of tangles
*sparkle and smooth shading
*light detail lines of Tearce


From Sue Agnew ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*"hairless" Tearce as Sue called it :)
*a cluster of sparkled Tripoli morphs into Tracery
*alternating directions make a lovely row of Tracery


From Efie with "love from holland" ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*string lines of Tracery
*fields of light Tripoli
*nicely shaded Tearce


From Felicity Strohfeldt ~
Well here on the West Coast (South Africa), the Winter rains still eludes us, resulting in cold, dry weather. Much prefer the rain in Winter. Hope it’s still out there somewhere, if not, the spring flowers here and in Namaqualand will not be spectacular.
 Tile 99, great String! Patterns ??? Here goes! Jump in, armed with my trusty Micron pen. End product. Hmmm? Attempted Tripoli by Maria Thomas. Ended up with several versions. Verdict still out on how successful they are!? Enjoyed Tracery by Dianne Krumnow as a border and a centre focus of the tile. Then wiggled in a little Tearce by Pan-Pincha Wagner. Some light shading and Voila! Tile 99 from South Africa. Buzy? “Buzy” just happened. On my blog..
Well hope you and all the tanglers all over the world have a great week.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*five fabulous variations of Tracery
*masterful Tripoli
*doubled string line of Tearce


From K Bish ~
My newest "Travis in a Vortex". Dedicated to my brother. This tangle was so fun, as you can tell I loved TEARCE.,It does kind of have that vortex thing going on. And TRIPOLI is another I just had a blast with. TRACERY is a tangle I just couldn't seem to get my head around - but I like it and will have to work with it a little.

I hope you and my other fellow artist had a happy and safe Independence Day!
Tangled Tidbits -
*great vortexes of Tearce
*alternating black and white sections of Tripoli
*just a touch of red

From Rhonda Koplin ~
It’s been a while since I’ve been able to complete a challenge on time. Recently retired, I plan to submit every week to make myself try new tangles. Thanks for continuing this ~ I still love the “win” from 11-12-13!
This was started poolside, unshaded, on the 5th and completed while watching the USA Soccer Team!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*nice opportunity to see the richness shading provides
*concentrations of fine lines over the curves of Tearce
*Tracery "T"



From Henrike Bratz ~
I tangled this one in my garden again on a lazy Saturday morning .
I knew from the very moment I saw the tangles you chose, that I wanted to tangle tracery not as a border but as a single bigger element. I practised this but when I then set out to draw it on the tile, it came out different from what I had intended. Never mind! Make the best of it, I said to myself ... . When I then tangled tearce I found that I really liked it. The small lines reminded me of eyelashes, so delicate and nice. I liked them so much that I had to use them again to connect the triangles in tripoli. My tile this week is a light one with little contrast, the “T” of the string left as an open space and turned around.
Looking forward to your #100!!!!

Tangled Tidbits -
*reference to "eyelashes" is spot on
*large single Tracery made more pronounced with varied line width
*triple Tripoli


From Talia Maynard ~
Hope you've had a lovely 4th July weekend.
Sorry it's late but here is my (slightly unfinished) tile for this week's string. I wanted to send it off despite it being a little rough around the edges.

Tangled Tidbits - 
*crisp line work
*Tracery "T" with stripes and sparkle
*super shading


And now... the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Ann K of Denmark!

Ann wrote - 
3 great patterns this week that were all new to me but pretty easy to get down. Especially after your tripoli guide, I love your guides. Thank you so much for all the work you do!
This tile on my blog

Tangled Tidbits - 
*multiple aura, detail lines, and Tipple for Tracery
*three variations of Tripoli
*little perfs for Tearce that seem to drop off the edge
*single triangles of Tripoli with traces of Tearce


Congratulations, Ann!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

Thank you all for you good wishes and eager anticipation of celebrating #100!


Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used this week ~

TanglePatterns String 099 by CZT Jane Dickson

Tearce by Pan Pincha-Wagener
Tracery by Dianne Krumnow, CZT
and
Tripoli by Maria Thomas


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #100 - the "zentennial" (as Michelle Wynne dubbed it)!  

There is so much in store - a new tangle, new string, and the first ever give-a-way on Tickled to Tangle: my new product for displaying tangled tiles.  You won't want to miss it!













2 comments:

  1. Wonderful entries, so many entries for the same tangles and not a single tile is the same. Thanks for all your tangled tidbits Adele. Looking forward to the zenniversary so glad I found your challenge in time for the celebrations,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These all came out so nice. An hour & a half just reading & looking.

    ReplyDelete